Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 35-80 - New Macro Image Added
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Tamron SP 35-80 - New Macro Image Added Reply with quote

I only own a couple of zoom lenses, as I really prefer primes, at least most of the time.

The Tamron SP 35-80/2.8-3.5 is an exception though. A BIG exception.

This is unsharpened and straight out of the camera on HP5, developed at my favorite lab. The contrast is out of sight, and the lens is sharp as hell.

Take a look at those tiny white little stems or twig-type things behind the lower left fence post. They are on the same plane of focus as the middle fence post. Now THERE'S some detail...Also, look at the end grain saw cut of the top rail as it touches the middle post. Texture is finely delineated.

This was shot wide open or close to it, with the hyperfocal just ahead of the middle fence post. So, everything from oh...about 5 feet to about 30 feet is in good focus, with the fence post being at the optimum spot. Not bad at all...

Did I say I love the contrast? Shocked

Nothing more to say. I think the details of the image speak for themselves.

Last edited by Laurence on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP 35-80 works like best fix lenses... a real jewelery.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent 3D rendition!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a beautiful shot and really does show what the lens is capable of.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence

We do NOT need to be shown yet another desirable lens Smile Smile Smile - but what a way to introduce it! Great shot making the mundane interesting.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:

Just make sure there isn't any straight line near the edge of the frame, especially on a full frame camera Wink

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Richard_D wrote:

Just make sure there isn't any straight line near the edge of the frame, especially on a full frame camera Wink
Cheers!
Abbazz

I haven't used it enough to have encountered that situation. Is there a lot of barrel distortion to look out for?

On another note, that is a FANTASTIC 6x9 web link you've shown. Is that your site? Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some transparencies back from the COLD shooting in the Quinault Valley a few days ago. I must say I am, overall, pleased with them.

The macro characteristics of the Tamron SP 35-80 are very nice. The barrel focusing ring is very precise with a "long throw". I like it for the close up stuff! Smile

My Revueflex 3003 has a matte screen with center microcontrast ring; I'm thinking it seems a bit handier than the split-image type of screen.

I learned from this shot - next time I'll close down to f:8 or so. The tip of the ice formation is not quite within the field of focus. The resolving power of the lens is dynamite, at least to me. I'm really pleased about the potential of this lens, once I start getting the "feel" for it.

There are a couple of dust spots from the scan, but mostly it's pretty clear.

Anyway, here is a macro, close to 1:2, with the Tamron.

Salmonberry Stem with Tubular Ice

Tamron SP 35-80 mounted on tripod
Exposure unrecorded (approx. f:4 and 1/125th second)
Fuji Provia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say... Shocked
lens have nothing to do with such perfect composition
Only great photographic eye can find those natural marvel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I haven't used it enough to have encountered that situation. Is there a lot of barrel distortion to look out for?

Yes, that's the main drawback of the lens. But for portrait or landscape work, or for street photography, the Tamron is difficult to beat.

Laurence wrote:
On another note, that is a FANTASTIC 6x9 web link you've shown. Is that your site? Shocked

Thank you, Laurence, I'm glad you find it useful. Embarassed I wish I had more time to update it. I have so many more 6x9 cameras to include...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the fence shot!

got outbid for one a few weeks ago, but still looking! heard nothing but good things about this lens. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice ice shot, Laurence.
The buds look like a maple's, are they?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I was thinking they might be Salmonberry (Rubus spectabilis) which is extremely common, and a major forage source for elk.

On second thought, and with your query, it could very well be one of the two major maple species we have in the rain forest. Either Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) or Vine Maple (Acer circinatum).

In any case, I will identify it once the leaves come out, as I am familiar with the exact location of this plant.

On another note: The "comparison" of modern AF lenses and older MF lenses by the camera club is put off until the February meeting; I will definitely report the results though. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Orio wrote:

I was thinking they might be Salmonberry (Rubus spectabilis) which is extremely common, and a major forage source for elk.
On second thought, and with your query, it could very well be one of the two major maple species we have in the rain forest. Either Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) or Vine Maple (Acer circinatum).

I don't know this Rubus species, but the Rubus genus usually has alternate leafing, so I would place my bet on a maple species as they have opposite leafing (and like you say are quite common in shrublike growth in the underwood of temperate forests).

-