Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 300/5.6 - Still a Recommended Lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Tamron SP 300/5.6 - Still a Recommended Lens? Reply with quote

I have a chance to purchase from a member of my old camera club, a near-mint Tamron SP 300/5.6 for about $50. Comes with original caps and M42 Adaptall 2, which would help me to add to my M42 system that I'm trying to build.

Is this a decent price? It sure seems like it to me, especially since I get to "try before I buy".

I see from reviews here on MFlenses, that it is a well-liked lens. Is this still generally the consensus about this lens?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I am not able to give you a specific answer, because I don't know the lens and know little the brand too (I only have two Tamron lenses), because I have chosen to focus on German and Russian lenses, as they fit my style better.
What I can tell you is that many people swear by the SP series of Tamron to be top of excellence for sharpness.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Unfortunately I am not able to give you a specific answer, because I don't know the lens and know little the brand too (I only have two Tamron lenses), because I have chosen to focus on German and Russian lenses, as they fit my style better.
What I can tell you is that many people swear by the SP series of Tamron to be top of excellence for sharpness.

Thank you, Orio. My specific uses for the 300 will be for various imaging of elk, owls, eagles which are plentiful in my favorite rain forest river valley close to home. I also will use it to isolate various subjects such as florals, etc.

I am aware that 300mm is a bit short for eagles and owls in certain situations, and I will eventually be trying to find a good Russian 500mm or above. I used to have the Arsat 500mm mirror lens (Rubinar), and it was decent enough; I might end up with one again one of these days.

Nearly all shots will be on a tripod or over a beanbag on my automobile window. The elk are usually willing to "pose" fairly close in the Winter months in their natural habitat. This obviates the need for "only" about 300mm for filling the frame with the elk.

Some will be with the old Pentax 1.4TC in M42 mount, some without TC.

I can certainly see the propensity toward the fabulous German and Russian lenses as well. In fact, I certainly own a number of them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

Thank you, Orio. My specific uses for the 300 will be for various imaging of elk, owls, eagles which are plentiful in my favorite rain forest river valley close to home. I also will use it to isolate various subjects such as florals, etc.

Then I think it can be a perfect choice for you. Many natural wildlife photographers use the Tamron SP zooms and teles because of their ability to render sharply even distant objects.

Russian and German lenses can be sharp, too, but their image rendition is more oriented to some "organic" quality of the image (roundness, bokeh, saturation), rather than to extreme sharpness.

-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 $ is a great price for that lens!!

If you don't like it, you can resell it easily with even some profit.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks. I looked on previous sales of these lenses on the auction site.

Interestingly, the only one found recently on any "finished listing" did NOT receive even a starting bid of $50. But, this looked like an earlier non-SP version to me. I don't know if the optics were the same as the SP version.

There is one on the block that has been bid to $48 so far, with six bidders.
However, again it is not an SP version.

One more non-SP was sold for $2 (!!!).

Also of interest is that is seems that photographers don't really look for this lens. Confused

So, it's a bit of confusion for me, but I think I am in agreement with the fact that the SP version would probably sell for at least $50 if I didn't like it. The other factor is that I'm hearing that it is still highly recommended.

1. Nothing to lose, a potentially fine optic

2. $50 is not enough to quibble about

3. My current Tamron SP 70-210 is really quite a fine lens with superb, and I mean SUPERB mechanics.

Based on the above, I'll buy it.

I'll let you all know what I think.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing on the PC right now so you will just have to take my word for it, but in my opinion it is a really good lens.

I have the SP version and my copy is superb, it has great image quality, is nice to hold and easy to focus, I'll never need another 300mm lens.

Price wise on eBay, when it has appeared it has easily fetched ?50-70+ GBP but it really doesn't show up much at all these days.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Tak wrote:
I have nothing on the PC right now so you will just have to take my word for it, but in my opinion it is a really good lens.

I have the SP version and my copy is superb, it has great image quality, is nice to hold and easy to focus, I'll never need another 300mm lens.

Price wise on eBay, when it has appeared it has easily fetched ?50-70+ GBP but it really doesn't show up much at all these days.

Thank you Very much SuperTak. Another opinion that this must be a pretty good lens, and worth me taking a look at.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would, if at all possible, hold out for the SP version. I have an earlier version, Adaptall, evidently the CT300

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/ct300.htm

This is NOT a tremendous lens, with reservations:

I paid almost nothing, (traded a Konica camera for it) and it IS BETTER than much of the old, long, T mount junk you see popping up on eFray. I bought a Nikkor 300mm (use on my Canon) and it's a much better lens, but, admittedly, I paid lots more for it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP 300mm f5.6 good as than any of my other 300mm lenses

like Olympus OM 300mm f4.5,Nikkon 300mm f4.5 or Carl Zeiss Jena 300mm f4

I believe one of the best perhaps the best 300mm lens what is available on the market under 300 GBP.
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Tamron/tamron_sp_300/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

440roadrunner wrote:
I would, if at all possible, hold out for the SP version. I have an earlier version, Adaptall, evidently the CT300

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/ct300.htm

This is NOT a tremendous lens, with reservations:

I paid almost nothing, (traded a Konica camera for it) and it IS BETTER than much of the old, long, T mount junk you see popping up on eFray. I bought a Nikkor 300mm (use on my Canon) and it's a much better lens, but, admittedly, I paid lots more for it.

Yes I had the old CT300 version a few years back - not bad, but not great - I found it too dark too focus easily, and a tad soft, but far from terrible.

The SP 300 is a far better lens:

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/54B.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT information from all of you! Yes, I only want the SP version, as I read the great review here on MFlenses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
GREAT information from all of you! Yes, I only want the SP version, as I read the great review here on MFlenses.

Laurence, Rob Leslie has posted some fantastic wildlife pictures on this forum using this lens in the past. You should find them if you search for his posts or for the lens name.