Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 24-48mm f/3.5-3.8 (13A)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Tamron SP 24-48mm f/3.5-3.8 (13A) Reply with quote

Yesterday I took my brand spanking new (old) Tamron 24-48mm for its inaugural ride. I bought this lens to carry with me when I don't want to be carrying my Nikon 24-70/2.8 hanging around my neck. I had read lots of great reviews and seen samples here, but boy, was I in for a surprise. I can say that this lens almost matches the sharpness of the Nikon it will be replacing from time to time.

Here are some samples. Barely any sun, so shot with generally high ISOs and slow shutter speeds, all handheld, with Nikon D700. No processing at all, except RAW>jpeg conversion.

1) ISO 200, f/5.6 (sensor needs some cleaning)

1a) 100% crop

2) ISO 200, f/3.5

2a) 100% crop

3) ISO 400, f/8

3a) 100% crop

4) ISO 400, f/8

4a) 100% crop

5) ISO 640, f/4

5a) 100% crop

6) ISO 800, f/4

6a) 100% crop

6b) 200% crop!

Things I liked about this lens:
1) Size: it's probably the smallest zoom I've ever shot with, regardless of focal length or speed.
2) Feels very well built.
3) Really, really sharp.
4) Relatively pleasing bokeh.

Things I did not like:
1) Both the zoom and focus rings are quite narrow and close to each other, which makes them difficult to operate without looking.
2) The dedicated lens hood cannot be reverse-mounted, nor would it fit inside the dedicated lens case. It's destined to be loose inside my bag (and maybe one day break, a shame considering the hood is harder to find than the lens itself).
3) The petal-shaped design of the front of the lens. It won't fit any front lens caps other than the original one (which my lens came without).
4) Due to the above-mentioned design, the lens itself won't take any filters. However, the lens hood has a thread for 77mm filters (I've still to try this).

Also noted: some (easily correctable) barrel distortion at 24mm.

I'm planning to keep this puppy for the next 20 years, then we'll see Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Invisible ! Very Happy

Nice lens and nice samples.

About the fire plug, it is written in french. Was it taken in Canada ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Congrats Invisible ! Very Happy

Nice lens and nice samples.

About the fire plug, it is written in french. Was it taken in Canada ?

Yes, downtown Montreal Smile

Handheld shots, especially with my unsteady pulse, don't do this lens justice. Whenever I get the chance to use this lens with a tripod, I'll post some samples.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of this lens. I sold my copy but I expect I'll get another. I will hold out for a copy with the hood this time as it can lose a bit too much contrast with the sun just out of frame.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice examples. If you don't have the matching hood. Hin man has used rubber 3 in 1 on top of it with good success.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Nice examples. If you don't have the matching hood. Hin man has used rubber 3 in 1 on top of it with good success.

Thks for the tip.
What is rubber 3 in 1 ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
drjs wrote:

Thks for the tip.
What is rubber 3 in 1 ?

These:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/110320736686?lpid=82

They pull out to different positions depends on the amount of zoom. You obviously need the one that matches with Tamron 24-48's diameter. I think Hin may also have used a step up ring.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Olivier wrote:
drjs wrote:

Thks for the tip.
What is rubber 3 in 1 ?

These:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/110320736686?lpid=82

They pull out to different positions depends on the amount of zoom. You obviously need the one that matches with Tamron 24-48's diameter. I think Hin may also have used a step up ring.

Thank you Djrs.
Sorry, I can't see the eBay page.
I don't know why, many eBay pages are unreadable in France. This includes Big-IS items for instance.
For me, it is more and more boring and I use eBay less and less.

I found this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/58mm-3in1-Collapsible-Rubber-Lens-Hood-For-Nikon-Canon-Sony-Olympus-Sigma-AY24-/281425461611?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418643c16b

When talking about the 24-48's diameter, do you mean the filter mount diameter or the lens body's diameter ?
The Hood 25FH for the 35-80 (01A) mounts on the 24-48 by external screw. They share the same lens body diameter : 64,5mm.
But the Hood for the 24-48 is the 27FH.

Here is the text I reach when following your link :
Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

Do you know a tip for avoiding these countries' limitations ? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is beyond belief that any first world entity is blocking internet access for any reason. That's cause for a revolution.

Regardless:

The items in question, both 3-in-1 collapsible rubber hoods, appear very similar except that one is 62mm and the other is 58mm. And of course the prices are a bit different, likely because of the difference in size.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will help. I found the original Hin's post referencing the hood he used. Even has a picture. Hopefully this page is reachable from the browser. Smile

http://www.techtheman.com/2010/06/tamron-sp-24-48mm-f35-38-adaptall-2-13a.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much.
That makes things very clear !
Very Happy

Guardian, that's right, it's a nonsense and a "casus belli". Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re hoods:

On the first one of these 13A's I have seen, the front end was threaded, it was just rather difficult to get eg a ring to engage without threads crossing. However on another one it is clear that the front end is not threaded, just grooved. Only solution IMO is the original hood, another bayonet hood that fit/can be modded to fit, or taking a rubber hood off its mounting ring and stretching it over the end.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Maybe this will help. I found the original Hin's post referencing the hood he used. Even has a picture. Hopefully this page is reachable from the browser. Smile

http://www.techtheman.com/2010/06/tamron-sp-24-48mm-f35-38-adaptall-2-13a.html

Thanks for the link. I checked Hin's samples on Flickr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hin_man/sets/72157624183722028). The last few images of the gallery show photos of the lens and how he managed to get away with using it with a rubber hood.

Last edited by invisible on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such nice images and interesting discussion! This entire thread is causing me distress. It's because I do not own this lens, I want to own this lens, but they are not numerous and they are not inexpensive.

Taste in lenses is not completely unlike taste in women. It's largely subjective.

Myself?

I like very much short zoom lenses, such as this 13A.

I also like preset lenses, but that's a topic for another thread. Very Happy

Anyway, it's looking like, if I'm serious about ever owning a 13A, it's darn near time to ante up!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Such nice images and interesting discussion! This entire thread is causing me distress. It's because I do not own this lens, I want to own this lens, but they are not numerous and they are not inexpensive.

Taste in lenses is not completely unlike taste in women. It's largely subjective.

Myself?

I like very much short zoom lenses, such as this 13A.

I also like preset lenses, but that's a topic for another thread. Very Happy

Anyway, it's looking like, if I'm serious about ever owning a 13A, it's darn near time to ante up!!!

Fortunately, at least on US ebay, a good copy can be had between $80 to $140. The price can only go up from here Smile The harder part, is find a copy with the lens hood intact! I, in fact, spent better part of a year looking for one. When I finally got one, my other one without hood sold easily. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:

Fortunately, at least on US ebay, a good copy can be had between $80 to $140. The price can only go up from here Smile The harder part, is find a copy with the lens hood intact! I, in fact, spent better part of a year looking for one. When I finally got one, my other one without hood sold easily. Smile

That sounds like wise counsel. The price range though, is astounding and intimidating.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian, there is one on the bay at present :
Click here to see on Ebay
Actual bid 16£
Good luck...
Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Actual bid 16£
Good luck...
Smile

Hey, thanks very much!!

Regrettably I am in USA. The shipping alone is roughly US$30 for this lens. I've only ever bought just one lens abroad because shipping is so costly. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Actual bid 16£
Good luck...
Smile

4 hours left and 23 GBP.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the 13A mentioned above and another I was watching (with hood) sold for £40-odd. About right IMO - even q reasonable.