Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 24-48 13A
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Herbert wrote:
stevemark wrote:
Maybe getting another lens is an easier solution?

1) Minolta MD-III 3.5/24-35mm: small but sophisticated wideangle zoom with 10 lenses
2) Sigma 3.5-4.2/21-35mm: early superwide zoom with pretty good performance, comparable to Tamron 24-50 or Canon nFD 3.5/20-35mm L

S

Why, when the solution was already described 5 posts ago?
A jar opener, adhesive double sided tape and step up ring for $15
against a Minolta that sells for $350?

350 bucks for a Minolta 24-35mm - sure??

wow ... my last MD-III 3.5/24-35 was less than 50.-- CHF, and the Sigma somwhere in the twenties ... one or two years ago, that is.

Ebay currently lists the Minolta MD 24-35mm starting at "CHF 63.-- or best offer", ... and the Sigma 21-35 "buy it now" starting at USD 33.-- (AF version) or USD 46.-- (MF version).

S

I assume, you mean the Sigma that goes for "Spare Parts only":

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Minolta+MD+24-35mm&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2

And, as I said, I use Canon FD only. Read, then write.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herbert wrote:

I assume, you mean the Sigma that goes for "Spare Parts only":

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Minolta+MD+24-35mm&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2

And, as I said, I use Canon FD only. Read, then write.

Your link is not Sigma, but Minolta. Think first, then write Laugh 1
And no, I was didn't mean a "for parts only" lens!

Anyway, I'm never answering only for the very person that asked a question. Usually ten or twenty more people are reading a certain answer - often even more. While I know that you are limited to Canon, others are not.

S

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the front lens coating suffer from Isopropyl alcohol?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herbert wrote:

It not sure about this lens, but there are lenses that have very fragile coatings , and they've got to be very few of them but they do exist ,in most of the cases isopropyl alcohol won't hurt coatings. What about peroxide oxide? I'm not sure about this one, but I guess about the same as with isopropyl,only specific lenses would be damaged .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Herbert wrote:

It not sure about this lens, but there are lenses that have very fragile coatings , and they've got to be very few of them but they do exist ,in most of the cases isopropyl alcohol won't hurt coatings. What about peroxide oxide? I'm not sure about this one, but I guess about the same as with isopropyl,only specific lenses would be damaged .

peroxide would lead to corrosion/oxidation of metallic lens coatings I think...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
kiddo wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Dunno what "peroxide oxide" is, and dunno why one would use hydrogen peroxide for cleaning (outer?) lens surfaces.

And anti-reflective lens coatings are either metal oxides or substances like MgF2 or CaF2.
Difficult to further oxidize Mg2+ or Ca 2+ using H2O2, innit?

S

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
kiddo wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Dunno what "peroxide oxide" is, and dunno why one would use hydrogen peroxide for cleaning (outer?) lens surfaces.

And anti-reflective lens coatings are either metal oxides or substances like MgF2 or CaF2.

S
:

Like 1 Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
kiddo wrote:
Herbert wrote:

S

I have to assume kiddo was thinking of hydrogen peroxide used in the treatment of fungus-contaminated lenses; H2O2 is often recommended for that (a pointless exercise IMO, but that's a different topic).

On thing does give me pause for thought; maybe with your chemistry background you have more knowledge. Whilst the metal oxide coating and MgF2 and CaF2 coatings have been used for many years and have proven themselves to be very durable, oleophobic anti-fingerprint coatings are now becoming popular; I do wonder how they hold up under repeated application of strong solvents? Any idea?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
kiddo wrote:
Herbert wrote:

S

I have to assume kiddo was thinking of hydrogen peroxide used in the treatment of fungus-contaminated lenses; H2O2 is often recommended for that (a pointless exercise IMO, but that's a different topic).

On thing does give me pause for thought; maybe with your chemistry background you have more knowledge. Whilst the metal oxide coating and MgF2 and CaF2 coatings have been used for many years and have proven themselves to be very durable, oleophobic anti-fingerprint coatings are now becoming popular; I do wonder how they hold up under repeated application of strong solvents? Any idea?

I had a Minolta MC 50 1,4 Rokkor PG suffering from coating damage that I thought was fungus. I immersed it in 50% diluted hydrogen peroxyde and the coating has been vastly damaged. Now an unused lens. MC coatings did not had a very strong reputation of strongness, specially on inner faces of the lenses. Immersion was certainly a stupid idea.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrogen Peroxide may be useful for dissolving organic contaminants, however metal parts may corrode/oxidize. Use sparingly a drop or two on an earbud for spot cleaning, not for wiping the entire surface as it can leak in between glass & metal. 3-5% Peroxide, not the 30% stuff which will burn skin quite easily.

Peroxide seems like a good choice for cleaning off organic fungus -- why not?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fungus will come off with any fluid unless it has eaten into the coating. I use denatured Alcohol 96%, also works well against finger grease :p. Peroxide is an unstable form of water. It will fall apart easily from a H202 molecule to 2OH molecules which are very reactive. So if the coating is susceptible to OH it will react. It will also kill the fungus but it is like killing a fly on your window with a shotgun :p.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isopropyl alcohol of 99.5% did the job perfectly. To jam the 58mm to 82mm filter adapter on the lens,
I would like to add to my post from Oct.02:
I did also let very carefully creep very liquid (like water) super glue into the gap between filter ring and lens hood.
A very small brush of 00 size helps to apply the glue. Just jamming the ring on will very likely be enough but I wanted to play things more safe
To prevent light creep in from the sides of the tulip, I cut a ring out of 6mm foam (the material is like neoprene) and slided it beneath the filter ring.

[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. I recently got one of these for a decent price and am hoping to do a comparison against some other options, like Tokina 25-50mm f/4, Samyang 18-35mm F4-4.5, Sigma Superwide II 24mm f2.8.