Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 13A, 24-48mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Tamron SP 13A, 24-48mm Reply with quote

Another Adaptall-2 SP lens in my collection. The 24-48mm is some what a rare lens. The matching hood is even harder to come by (I don't have one, if you have one for sale, contact me). I don't see this discussed very often. Not sure if it is because of its quality or its rarity. I like it for a walk around lens since the focal length on a 1.6 crop is pretty close to normal. Wide side seem to perform really well, out resolves some of the 24mm primes I known (Vivitar for one). Mine is in excellent condition and took me a while to get. Took mine out today to shoot a few pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaring pretty bad in that last shot. Were you shooting right into the sun?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
flaring pretty bad in that last shot. Were you shooting right into the sun?

Yup. Shot right into the sun with no hood. Light source is at right up most corner. Wanted to see how bad the flares are.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an extremely versatile lens for 35mm and was my standard hiking lens for years.
The lens hoods on this model were prone to dropping off, or being easily dislodged.
I lost mine at the top of a waterfall in Kosciusko National Park back in the early 1980's.
It's down there somewhere ..............

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the more I use the old Tamron BBAR and SP lenses, the more I like them. The hood issue showed up yesterday when I took the 35-70 / 3.5 out and it was obvious it needed a hood. I had a look for a suitable one when I got home and discovered I'd got genuine one. Rolling Eyes
There is a lot to like with these old Tamrons.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice collection congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
This is an extremely versatile lens for 35mm and was my standard hiking lens for years.
The lens hoods on this model were prone to dropping off, or being easily dislodged.
I lost mine at the top of a waterfall in Kosciusko National Park back in the early 1980's.

Since I really need, I am tempted to mount an expedition to locate your hood it in this park. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Very nice collection congrats!

Thanks! I enjoy them a lot. My favorite is the 35-80. I will post a few pictures tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
the more I use the old Tamron BBAR and SP lenses, the more I like them. The hood issue showed up yesterday when I took the 35-70 / 3.5 out and it was obvious it needed a hood. I had a look for a suitable one when I got home and discovered I'd got genuine one. Rolling Eyes

Closely related optically to the 35-80. It is a superb lens. I would certainly get the 35-80 if you like yours. Optically it is even better!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Since I really need, I am tempted to mount an expedition to locate your hood it in this park. Cool

I've fitted mine with a Canon EW-63II hood (from the 28-105mm USM), it's a perfect fit, especially if you use a genuine Canon one. I tried a cheap copy first and that arrived distorted, the plastic was too soft.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the AD2 version of the somewhat rare 35-105mm f2.8 SP (model 65A). It is a bit heavy for everyday use on my NEX 5N, and the one touch zoom is a bit loose and slides out when held pointing down. Anyone else tried this lens? I need to get it out more often.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Too late, I've already found it! In surprisingly good condition too! Wink Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 13A is an interesting and unusual lens. I very nearly bid on one recently because I find the zoom range attractive and of interest. And I agree that at 24mm the lens is quite good, indeed!

However, at 35mm the lens is not even an average performer. The 13A suffers by publication of its data, on adaptall-2.org, adjacent to data of the corresponding Rokkor lens which, even though it's a constant f4 across the board, beats the pants off the Tamron 13A. The Rokkor, at 24mm and f8, ventures into laboratory quality resolution.

Anyway, I have the 13A's zoom range covered, at present, by a Hoya zoom lens. I'm not really sure how it compares to the 13A regarding IQ, but it's a beautiful lens. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Tamron 13A is an interesting and unusual lens. I very nearly bid on one recently because I find the zoom range attractive and of interest. And I agree that at 24mm the lens is quite good, indeed!

However, at 35mm the lens is not even an average performer. The 13A suffers by publication of its data, on adaptall-2.org, adjacent to data of the corresponding Rokkor lens which, even though it's a constant f4 across the board, beats the pants off the Tamron 13A. The Rokkor, at 24mm and f8, ventures into laboratory quality resolution.

Anyway, I have the 13A's zoom range covered, at present, by a Hoya zoom lens. I'm not really sure how it compares to the 13A regarding IQ, but it's a beautiful lens. Smile

I agree! I tend to reach for my 01A for anything 35-80, that is one sharp lens and stays on my camera a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some for the pot. Taken on mix of Nex-3 & EOS 550D.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots sburley! I too have this lens and hood, but I've never fallen in love with it for some reason. I struggle to focus with it, which may be the issue. Not sure why Confused

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
I have the AD2 version of the somewhat rare 35-105mm f2.8 SP (model 65A). It is a bit heavy for everyday use on my NEX 5N, and the one touch zoom is a bit loose and slides out when held pointing down. Anyone else tried this lens? I need to get it out more often.

Yea I miss the old adaptall build quality. I too have the 65A and it slides back and forth. I'd say it drops back and forth. It has a bit of a glow to it past ~80mm. I don't take it out enough to really comment on quality. Maybe when the weather gets better.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FotoPete wrote:

Yea I miss the old adaptall build quality. I too have the 65A and it slides back and forth. I'd say it drops back and forth. It has a bit of a glow to it past ~80mm. I don't take it out enough to really comment on quality. Maybe when the weather gets better.

Some of my lenses have something that is too sticky, this is the only one that is not sticky enough! Is there anything that can be don to fix it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Closely related optically to the 35-80. It is a superb lens. I would certainly get the 35-80 if you like yours. Optically it is even better!

It's a lens I'll watch for, but I'm spoiled in the short zoom range with my Rokkor MD 35-70 / 3.5. I shall try to do a comparison, the Rokkor is superb, but the Tamron is impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
drjs wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

It's a lens I'll watch for, but I'm spoiled in the short zoom range with my Rokkor MD 35-70 / 3.5. I shall try to do a comparison, the Rokkor is superb, but the Tamron is impressive.

I posted a bunch of my samples today. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sburley wrote:
Some for the pot. Taken on mix of Nex-3 & EOS 550D.

Absolutely superb images!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
FotoPete wrote:

Some of my lenses have something that is too sticky, this is the only one that is not sticky enough! Is there anything that can be don to fix it?

Not sure, i think as some of the others mentioned, this lens may share some parts with the AF version as both were made around the same time. A steady simplification of parts at Tamron Sad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FotoPete wrote:
Basilisk wrote:
FotoPete wrote:

Not sure, i think as some of the others mentioned, this lens may share some parts with the AF version as both were made around the same time. A steady simplification of parts at Tamron Sad

I am not familiar with this lens. How is the optical quality? Any difference between the adaptall 2 and AF versions?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:

I am not familiar with this lens. How is the optical quality? Any difference between the adaptall 2 and AF versions?

My memory is that my AD2 was not at all bad, nice to have the f2.8. Unfortunately I cannot find the photos I took with it. However the ergonomics, especially the loose one touch zoom and the weight (causing it to hang down and slide to max zoom), made it less than fun to use. I need to give it another try to decide if the image quality justifies its irritations.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this Tamron and find it usefull on a full frame format.

Attila did post samples in the gallery :
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Tamron/tamron_sp_24_48/?