Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

tamron adaptall 2 mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: tamron adaptall 2 mount Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have bought a tamron sp 90/2.5 and noticed it doesn't have auto-manual switch. I want to use this on sony a7. Can anyone suggest any adapter for this which pushes the lever down so that i can change aperture?

Thanks,

Ash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which mount is on the lens, M42? If so, you just need to stick a bit of folded cardboard under the pusher in the M42 mount.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put this lens on Canon camera using two adapters -- Tamron adapter for M42 and M42 to EOS adapter. On Tamron to M42 adapter I used a piece of plastic between lens & adapter to keep the diaphragm pin depressed. Something similar -- a piece of plastic to hold the diaphragm lever -- should work for you! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see my web page

http://www.tremyfoel.co.uk/photography/Adaptall/TamronAdaptallInfo.html

Last edited by marcusBMG on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AD2 system was both a work of genius and a bit of a nightmare. There are direct AD2 to E mount adaptors available on Ebay. Are they any good?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
The AD2 system was both a work of genius and a bit of a nightmare. There are direct AD2 to E mount adaptors available on Ebay. Are they any good?

I bought one and it works fine on the Adaptall-2 lenses for my A7.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the lens in question is an Adaptall-2 lens that you want to mount to your A7, I'd recommend you select another adapter -- one that isn't as prone to difficulties as the M42 mount. Get a Nikon or Pentax K or Canon FD even Adaptall-2 mount for your Tamron 90 and then buy the appropriate adapter to your A7 from whatever camera mount you decided on. Less headache that way.

I just went through this problem today with an M42 lens that I was trying to attach to my NEX, which uses the same adapters as your A7. I have a SMC Takumar macro lens I wanted to use, but the A-M switch is stuck in the A position, so I needed to use one of my two M42 adapters -- one with a lip or flange that is designed to press against the aperture pin. For any lens but an SMCT, this would work fine, but the SMCT has that extra tab that reaches down to engage the full-aperture-metering lever. And unfortunately, this tab binds against the flange that the aperture pin presses against. The result was that when I threaded the lens down onto the adapter, the aperture ring locked up.

It took a while for me to figure out why this was happening, but once I saw the problem, I took a coarse emory board and ground down a bit of the edge of the flange so that the full-aperture tab would no longer bind against it. Now it works perfectly. But it was annoying when it occurred, and ended up preventing me from getting the shots that I wanted to get done today.

One more mention about the M42 adapters for mirrorless cameras -- make sure you buy one that has this flange for the aperture pin to contact. The first one I bought had no flange. It was just a threaded adapter and that was it. So any M42 lens I had that didn't have an A-M switch was useless to use with this adapter. I went back onto eBay and finally found one with the flange, and ordered it as a replacement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, beware of flanged adapters as not all lenses work with them: my mir 24's back element touches the flange preventing the lens from focusing at infinity.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
On the other hand, beware of flanged adapters as not all lenses work with them: my mir 24's back element touches the flange preventing the lens from focusing at infinity.

And also some takumars have a very small second pin that catches in the flange.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many AD2 to E mount adapter on sale on ebay. I recommend not using two separate adapters but hook your adaptall lens directly to A7 via the adapter. I have a couple and they work great.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Aanything wrote:

And also some takumars have a very small second pin that catches in the flange.

Not really. I just took a look at some of my M42 lenses. The only ones of mine that have that small pin are SMC Taks -- those Takumars that provide full-aperture metering on the later Spotmatics, such as the F and EL2. This pin is designed such that, when the lens is threaded onto a body, the pin gets pushed in against the flat surface of the back of the lens.-- outside of the threads. When the pin is pushed in, the Auto-Manual switch can be moved back and forth. When the lens is dismounted from the camera, the only way to move the A-M switch back and forth is to manually press in that pin. That pin is located just outside of the threads for the mount, so the flange does not contact this pin at all.

This is a situation where a picture is worth a thousand words. For the adapter with the flange that extends out far enough for the aperture pin to press against it, this flange contacts a small rectangular protrusion at the base of the threaded portion of the mount. this protrusion sticks up about a millimeter from its base. Right next to it, on the flat area of the mount that is not threaded -- that is, the area that will be set flush to the camera's mount when the lens is screwed down all the way -- is this small pin. So, when the adapter with the flange is threaded onto the lens, the flange comes into contact with that small rectangular piece on the threaded portion of the mount, and it stops at that point. But the flange is sitting a good 2 to 3 millimeters above that small pin, although the body of the adapter is pressing against the small pin -- as it must so the A-M switch can operate. This pin, when it is fully extended, only sticks up about 0.5 millimeter.

Now the NEX/A7 mount that does NOT have the flange, doesn't contact anything on the threaded base of the lens, so the adapter just threads all the way down until it contacts the flat base of the lens. And, same as the other adapter, the flat base of the adapter depresses that small pin, enabling the A-M switch to be moved. I looked closely at this one's setup and I can see how, if this adapter had a little slop to its fit, it might possibly bind against that small pin, but it's doubtful, because if it did, the entire lens would be a loose fit, and I don't think the user would stand for such a sloppy fit.

So, bottom line, based on my observation of my lenses and my adapters, I don't think that they will bind on that small pin.

s

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael is correct.

That extra little pin is only on S-M-C Takumars (although some Super-Takumars manufactured in later years come with the extra pin).

Pushing the pin enables the lens' Auto/Man diaphragm switch when the lens is screwed onto a M42 camera. However, when screwed on Spotmatic F, ES, or ESII, the second pin is not pressed, thus the Auto/Man switch is disabled, to prevent errors with those camera's open aperture metering operation. IOW, Pentax made the new S-M-C lenses for the new open aperature metering camera bodies backward compatible by keeping the A/M switch & adding the second pin...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small second pin on smc takumars did bind on my Kipon flanged adapter, I specifically mention this on this web page. There is also at least one plaintive "my lens is jammed" thread on pentx forums due to this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand....pay 4.figures for camera,3-4figures for lens and $5 for adapter? what do you expect?.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwcs wrote:
Basilisk wrote:

I bought one and it works fine on the Adaptall-2 lenses for my A7.

Ditto. Just spring a few notes for the appropriate adapter rather than introducing additional opportunities for misalignment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
I don't understand....pay 4.figures for camera,3-4figures for lens and $5 for adapter? what do you expect?.

I've yet to see a $5 adapter . . . some of mine cost double that Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
The small second pin on smc takumars did bind on my Kipon flanged adapter, I specifically mention this on this web page. There is also at least one plaintive "my lens is jammed" thread on pentx forums due to this.

Welp, in response to that, all I can report is that both of my adapters -- one with the flange and one without -- are made by "Fotga" and it isn't possible with either to jam that small pin.