Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron Adapt-A-Matic 300mm need help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Tamron Adapt-A-Matic 300mm need help Reply with quote

I thought before I won the auction that I'd be able to wait a week (shipment will take that long) to learn how I did. This has turned out to be wrong. I've lost my nerve and determination, so I've come here instead seeking your help:

It's a fairly pedestrian lens, nothing special, though it is one of the earlier 300mm lenses with the knurled metal grip (later 300mm Adapt-A-Matics had the rubber grips). Regardless, I like it and I want it . . . . provided however:

The big "gotcha" with these darn Adapt-A-Matic lenses is the possibility of "drawing the short straw". A few of these lenses were shipped by Tamron with fixed mounts. If this lens has a fixed mount I'm totally toast. I'm cooked. It's over.

This is not my first Adapt-A-Matic rodeo. I have a number of others, all bought on eBay. I was fortunate, regarding the mount, with every one of them. So the truth is I don't know, from experience, how to SPOT a fixed mount Adapt-A-Matic in eBay photos. I don't know what to look for. I don't know any of the fixed mount "tells".

Here is the auction:

Click here to see on Ebay then click see original listing

If I've bought one of the fixed mount Adapt-A-Matics, please break the news of my new paperweight to me gently. Confused Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its a proper Adaptamatic.
Minolta mount, I guess thats why you were worried.
The Tamron branded Adaptamatics are very rarely if ever fixed mounts that I have seen.
The Bushnell ones oddly also tend to be Adaptamatics.
Third party brands other than that are very rarely Adaptamatics, they are nearly all fixed mounts. I was surprised when someone came up with one last year I think.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Yes its a proper Adaptamatic.
Minolta mount, I guess thats why you were worried.
The Tamron branded Adaptamatics are very rarely if ever fixed mounts that I have seen.
The Bushnell ones oddly also tend to be Adaptamatics.
Third party brands other than that are very rarely Adaptamatics, they are nearly all fixed mounts. I was surprised when someone came up with one last year I think.

Thank you so much, luisalegria, for that good news! Yes, you're correct, a fixed Minolta mount lens is worthless to me. And, at least up until now, I do not sell lenses.

For anyone wishing to know the basis for my concern, here it is:

"Some of these Adapt-A-Matic lenses were also sold in fixed mounts. We are unable to find any information on the Tamron Japan web site about the lens models which were also sold in fixed mounts."

That's a direct lift from Adaptall-2.org, their Adapt-A-Matic section.

The knurled retaining ring at the rear of my other Adapt-A-Matics has a continuous knurl. The subject lens for this thread has what appears might be an interrupted knurl. That worried me a bit, but it might only relate to the fact this is an early lens. If this lens turns out otherwise to be in serviceable shape (the seller did not photograph both sides of the lens), it will be fun to own one of these with the metal grip.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not difficult at all to sell.
You have an account on eBay and I guess some favorable track record of purchases so you are set if you want to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the plunge this year,selling excess "stuff" that has not been used and is just laying around. The hardest part was joining paypal Laughing Laughing Would you be selling the mount?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I took the plunge this year,selling excess "stuff" that has not been used and is just laying around. The hardest part was joining paypal Laughing Laughing Would you be selling the mount?

luisalegria wrote:
Its not difficult at all to sell.
You have an account on eBay and I guess some favorable track record of purchases so you are set if you want to.

luisalegria and mo:

Selling anything, for me, is simply not worth the hassle. I detest the trappings of selling. I think eBay is grossly unfair to sellers. And I want nothing whatsoever to do with PayPal as a seller (I'm already a PayPal member).

Years ago I did sell of a number of other (non-lens) items locally, through newspaper ads. This, for the most part, worked out OK. People came to my home and picked the stuff up. But the idea of selling on eBay is a non-starter for me. I'd as soon just give the items to charity.

Mo, I have a large number of adapters here, of various types (Adaptall-2, T4, TX, Adapt-A-Matic, etc.), which are worthless to me. It's because I oftentimes must buy lenses having the "wrong" adapter, just to obtain the lens itself. I've never sold any of these adapters. Plan is, should it ever become necessary to sell my lenses, one or another of the (now worthless) adapters might facilitate this or that sale. So I'm hanging on to them for now. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens arrived today and I am very pleased. It's a nice lens in decent shape.

As correctly predicted by luisalegria, the lens has an interchangeable mount. Very Happy

What I wrote earlier about it having an interrupted knurl was erroneous. The photo mislead me. It's a Minolta adapter with a continuous knurl. The knurled ring, though, is somewhat thinner than the rings on other Adapt-A-Matic lenses in my collection. This being a rather early lens could account for some of the differences. The Minolta adapter is quite complex, with a lot of moving parts.

But the lens itself is great, especially taking into account its age. Even the M-A switch works!!!!! For what I paid, I'm quite happy with how this lens purchase turned out. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! I have the same lens differently branded.
I find it to be a very nice lens and it came at a good price.
I think it focuses pretty close also, for a 300mm.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens, you'll love it. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to chime in in regard to ebay selling. Most are right that ebay are very unfair toward seller. With this said, with planning and forsight. Selling isn't as difficult as some make out to be. Cool

Here are some rules I live by for selling old lenses:

1). List only as buyout, unless you have a lens that is highly desirable, or have an one of kind item and will solicit multiple bids for sure (ex, vivitar series 1, 90mm). Buyout is generally safer so you don't end up with a very low bid or no interest. Reference your starting price with already sold items of the same type.
2). If you have a very desirable item, that will sell. Don't list it at market price and hope someone will start bidding to bid price up. That always never happens. More like you will get only a single bidder at the last sec. It is better to start listing at $0.99. Item will always sell higher if there is a bidding war. Look at sold items to figure out if you can live with the market price or not.
3). For old lens, some times will take 1-2 month before moving. But in general, it will move if the price is appropriately set.
4). Always post clear description and fault for an item. The worst kind of auction is the kind that has no picture and no descriptions. Describing item's fault properly is an insurance policy for yourself. Otherwise you leave yourself open to eBay "satisfactions warranty"
5). Put a few extra dollars and buy insurance. Things do get damaged unroute or at destination. If an item is return damaged, you are covered.
6). Never use reserve price. Most buyers won't bid on reserve price and pros will mess with you to just put in a low bid below reverse to make it look like you are over priced.
7). I always ship free buy adding the shipping into the listing price. Generally you will find listing item for free shipping net higher sell price away.
Cool. Don't over charge for shipping. Buyers knows how much it takes to ship an item. Ebay now charge fees for both shipping/sell price so there is no point to spread the prices around.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. Very Happy