Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron Adapt-A-Matic 200mm F/3.5 Model 870Au
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Tamron Adapt-A-Matic 200mm F/3.5 Model 870Au Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this forum and here are my first questions:

I'm considering buying this lens second handed. Will this fit adaptall-2 adapter? ..and is this lens worth buying? I'm planning to use it with yashica fx-d quartz and Beroflex 2x teleconverter.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These adapters are different, might be fit but not perfectly I am sure. With Beroflex 2xTC doesn't matter I expect bad result. I tried one times a Tamron SP 300mm f5.6 (which is one of the finest 300mm lens) with Tamron SP 2X TC result was crap. I never do again, if you need longer focal lenght buy instead of this combo a Russian mirror lens or any 400mm lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
These adapters are different, might be fit but not perfectly I am sure. With Beroflex 2xTC doesn't matter I expect bad result. I tried one times a Tamron SP 300mm f5.6 (which is one of the finest 300mm lens) with Tamron SP 2X TC result was crap. I never do again, if you need longer focal lenght buy instead of this combo a Russian mirror lens or any 400mm lens.

Thank you for your quick reply. I know that Beroflex 2x won't give me good quality, I found one of those pretty cheap and I wanted to test it. I've never had teleconverter before and haven't shoot with longer than 210mm. That teleconverter hasn't arrived yet, but I'm exited about it. Maybe I'll sell it after playing with it awhile.

What longer lenses you would suggest?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500mm mirror, true glasses are too heavy for handling. If you don't like mirrors 400mm glass is usable. I absolutely not suggest TC, if still need TC i suggest 1.4X.I found the best 400mm lens on acceptable price Sigma 400mm f5.6 and Novoflex 400mm f5.6. I like Sigma better, more easy to handle.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to this forum!

You should keep your eyes open for a TAIR-3s 4.5/300 (I like it a lot, but it is really big and heavy!) or a Tamron SP 60-300 (Adaptall-2 zoom lens that is as good as a 300mm prime).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your suggestions!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Adaptall" or "Adaptall-2" series of lenses is completely and utterly different from the "Adapt-a-Matic" series of lenses.

The Adaptall uses a large "breechlock" type of interface to the lens, whereas the "Adapt-a-Matic" uses a large threaded ring.

. I have the following "Adapt-a-Matic" lenses, which I got pretty cheap, and they aren't bad, for the money, at least

28mm, F2.8, 35mm, F2.8, and 135mm, F2.8. This lens especially seems pretty good. I came across a couple of M42 mounts for these, and simply gutted out the pin, to use manually on my Canon Xt

Here's a pix of a Topcon mount Adapt-a-matic, pirated from an EBay auction no. 7613750502

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/closefocus/AdaptmaticExaktaMount1.jpg

Also, there is loads of info on Tamron lenses at

www.adaptall-2.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

440roadrunner wrote:
The "Adaptall" or "Adaptall-2" series of lenses is completely and utterly different from the "Adapt-a-Matic" series of lenses.

The Adaptall uses a large "breechlock" type of interface to the lens, whereas the "Adapt-a-Matic" uses a large threaded ring.

. I have the following "Adapt-a-Matic" lenses, which I got pretty cheap, and they aren't bad, for the money, at least

28mm, F2.8, 35mm, F2.8, and 135mm, F2.8. This lens especially seems pretty good. I came across a couple of M42 mounts for these, and simply gutted out the pin, to use manually on my Canon Xt

Here's a pix of a Topcon mount Adapt-a-matic, pirated from an EBay auction no. 7613750502

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/closefocus/AdaptmaticExaktaMount1.jpg

Also, there is loads of info on Tamron lenses at

www.adaptall-2.com

thanks for the info. That link is great!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guy who is selling that lens for me said that it can be fitted to nikon adaptall adaptor?!? Can this be true?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you accurately described the lens and model number, there is no possible way that an Adaptall can be used with this lens.

If you have the proper Adapt-a-Matic mount, you CAN adapt them to Nikon

However, Adapt-a-Matic mounts are difficult to come by. The only reason I scored two M42 mounts, is that I bought two used lenses with the mounts already on them. My third Adapt-a-Matic lens had a Minolta mount, so now I'm able to swap the mounts between lenses.

You must pin down the seller, however. Maybe he HAS the correct mount, and is incorrectly calling it an Adaptall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

440roadrunner wrote:
Assuming you accurately described the lens and model number, there is no possible way that an Adaptall can be used with this lens.

If you have the proper Adapt-a-Matic mount, you CAN adapt them to Nikon

However, Adapt-a-Matic mounts are difficult to come by. The only reason I scored two M42 mounts, is that I bought two used lenses with the mounts already on them. My third Adapt-a-Matic lens had a Minolta mount, so now I'm able to swap the mounts between lenses.

You must pin down the seller, however. Maybe he HAS the correct mount, and is incorrectly calling it an Adaptall

thanks..I send him mail and ask him is that really possible. I think I'll ask him to send pictures of that adaptor so I can be sure of what he is talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting interesting. I wrote to the guy who's selling this lens and now I'm pretty sure that this is not model 870Au or any other Adapt-A-Matic. I've got some pictures of that lens and it seems that it is Adaptall lens model CT-200.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/ct200.htm

Here's couple of pictures of that lens he is selling. Is this CT-200?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell for certain from the pictures, and I would not make bets. Can you get him to send you a closer shot, especially of the rear mount area?

I believe you are correct, though, it appears to be the newer series.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's picture from rear and front:

Now I'm sure that it will fit adaptall mount. The rear looks just like my other adaptall lens. But what model it is? And is it worth buying.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the question becomes easy

We now know it is NOT the old Adapt-a-matic

There is NO "SP" version in 200mm

So it can only be Adaptall or Adaptall-2

It appears to NOT be Adaptall-2:

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/04B.html

So the only one left is the older "Adaptall" version, model CT-200. I don't know for sure whether you can modify an "Adaptall-2" mount, or whether you need specifically the older "Adaptall" mount:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/ct200.htm

What I do NOT understand is why the seller (apparrently) gave you the previous information. Most Tamrons have the model number written somewhere on the side.

So far as "worth it" I simply go by price and condition. If the lens is not too much money, it would still be fun to play with. Fugus, dust, and other conditions certainly come into play

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, an adaptall-2 mount will fit, by the look of it. The lens looks different from the CT200 on the Tamron site, but the design could have been changed during the production period.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be the same lens

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-300mm-f-5-6-Auto-Lens-Pentax-Bayonet-Mount_W0QQitemZ110181294197QQihZ001QQcategoryZ4688QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

440roadrunner wrote:
This may be the same lens

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-300mm-f-5-6-Auto-Lens-Pentax-Bayonet-Mount_W0QQitemZ110181294197QQihZ001QQcategoryZ4688QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

not same lens but I think it's same serie. The one in your link is 300mm f5.6 and the one I'm buying is 200mm f3.5.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jutei wrote:

Sorry for answering late but I just noticed this thread.

I have this lens, which is indeed an Adaptall lens ref. CT200. It is usable with an Adaptall-2 adapter ring. I bought it on eBay thinking it was the Adaptall-2 lens ref. 04B. I have been disappointed by the image quality (low contrast, not very sharp, even stopped down) and have since bought the 04B lens, which is a bit better than the CT200, but not an exceptional performer either (rather soft below f/8 ).

If you want to stick with Tamron, better choices in the telephoto range would be the 135/2.5 Adaptall II ref. 03B (cheap, compact, sharp and contrasty), the SP 180/2.5 Adaptall II ref. 63B (very good, quite expensive, but not so rare as stated by most sellers; judging by the rate at which these are appearing for sale on eBay, I'd think there were more than 3000 units produced), or the SP 300/5.6 Adaptall II ref. 54B (great lens).

Cheers,

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
jutei wrote:

Sorry for answering late but I just noticed this thread.

I have this lens, which is indeed an Adaptall lens ref. CT200. It is usable with an Adaptall-2 adapter ring. I bought it on eBay thinking it was the Adaptall-2 lens ref. 04B. I have been disappointed by the image quality (low contrast, not very sharp, even stopped down) and have since bought the 04B lens, which is a bit better than the CT200, but not an exceptional performer either (rather soft below f/8 ).

If you want to stick with Tamron, better choices in the telephoto range would be the 135/2.5 Adaptall II ref. 03B (cheap, compact, sharp and contrasty), the SP 180/2.5 Adaptall II ref. 63B (very good, quite expensive, but not so rare as stated by most sellers; judging by the rate at which these are appearing for sale on eBay, I'd think there were more than 3000 units produced), or the SP 300/5.6 Adaptall II ref. 54B (great lens).

Cheers,

Abbazz

thank you..now I'm finally sure what model it is
Smile