Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron AD2 SP 90mm f2.8 72B
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Tamron AD2 SP 90mm f2.8 72B Reply with quote

A recent purchase - am really looking forward to getting to use this mint copy in the very near future. I believe that this AD2 is harder to come by than the other 90mm macro lenses, ie the 52b and 52bb, which may a post rave about

The 72B has the advantage in my view of having 1:1 macro built in without the need to the extension tube that the ealier 90's required

Love to hear from anyone who has experience of this lens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's half as good as the 52BB you're going to like it. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is the first I've seen. It's one of those very late AD2 lenses that you don't see or hear about very often. I have a 28-200 f/3.8-5.6 LD Aspherical that is similar to yours -- it looks kinda like one of the early AF Tamrons -- and I've never heard much about it, either.

Yep, I just took a look on US eBay. There are only two SP 90/2.8s listed, one of them from Japan with its high shipping charges.

My 28-200 is sidelined for the foreseeable future because it has a sheared plastic pin inside the mount's internals. There's a lot of plastic with mine that used to be metal in the old Adaptall lenses. Yours might have a similar amount of plastic inside the mount, so my advice to you is to be gentle with it and you'll probably be fine.

Here's an eBay listing for one just like mine that comes with a Canon FD Adaptall-2 mount. I find this lens to be a bit unusual since it is both Aspherical and LDIF. Usually it's one or the other, but not both.
Click here to see on Ebay

Last edited by cooltouch on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:01 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the AF version of this lens, the 272E. It's optically more or less identical and really fantastic not only for macro purposes but also as a general purpose lens and for portraits as well.
I bought it already some years ago for relatively little money as the original Minolta/Sony AF 100mm/2.8 macro lens for my FF DSLR Sony A850 was too expensive for me at that time. However, as I don't believe that it can be any better I stay with the Tamron most probably forever. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it once on ebay, but I already have both 52b and 52bb, and Bokina, and Kiron, not to mention 100L, so I decided to let it go.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar position as you, Gardener. At last count I have eleven macro lenses, all of which are good performers. I don't need another, no matter how tempting the SP 90/2.8 is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sure you will enjoy your new acquisition – I haven’t read any online criticism of the Tamron 72B’s performance.

I bought mine relatively recently. I find it excellent for macro and short telephoto use. As a telephoto, my copy is extremely sharp from f2.8 to f11; as a 1:1 macro it is sharpest at f8 and slightly less sharp at f5.6 and f11.

As well as the great optics, I like the weight and balance of the lens. It is lighter than the Kiron 105mm and Olympus 90mm macros but with similar performance.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
If it's half as good as the 52BB you're going to like it. Wink

Has 10/9 optical formuls. 52B, 52BB is 8/6.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the Tamron "72" 90mm/F2.8 1:1 macro lens family:

1996 72B MF 426 gr. 55mm Adaptall2
1996 72E AF 403 gr. 55mm Nikon, Canon,Konica Minolta, Pentax
1999 172E AF 420 gr. 55mm Nikon, Canon, Konica Minolta, Pentax
2004 272E AF 405 gr. 55mm Nikon, Canon, Konica Minolta, Pentax
2008 272ENII AF 405 gr. 55mm new Nikon-Version

Obviously they all share the same optical construction of 10L/9G but the newer ones seems to have better coatings. However, in the final pictures the differences are negligible.

The older "52" lenses with different optical construction are "only" 1:2 without additionally accessory but are not bad as well.

The newest model F017 is also a different construction.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I wanted to check the stamps on a golden bracelet and didn't find a suitable magnifying glass I simply made a picture with my version of the Tamron SP 90mm/F2.8 lens (272E). I've added some extension rings to get better magnification. Picture taken with Sony A7R II. Stopped down to F32 on tripod and of course, MANUAL FOCUS. Minolta ring flash was used.

Original diameter (heigth) of the whole object is 8 mm. The stamp letters are very tiny.

Mission completed, it's 750 Gold. Wink

The other stamp is rather meaningless for me. Obviously a sign followed by "654 VI". Maybe the manufacturer's stamp.

However, the lens is very capable. Even with supplementary extension. In this case I've used a whole 3-ring set with total 69 mm length.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's rather impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
That's rather impressive.

Indeed, I was impressed myself. When displayed on my 32 inch UHD 4K screen it's nearly a 50 times magnification.
Bottom line: This Tamron SP 90 mm lens is really great and often underestimated.