Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 80-210mm f3.8-4 Macro Zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Tamron 80-210mm f3.8-4 Macro Zoom Reply with quote

Has anybody had any exeperience with this lens? I just got a mint looking copy but it has a tiny spot if fungus on the third or fourth element.

Adaptall-2.org gives it a fairly decent write up.

http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/103A.html

I can't test it out yet because I don't have the adapter yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 103A is a good lens, one of the best of the non sp tamrons, in my (relatively little) experience.
You should find many samples here, if you search through old threads.
And I wouldn't worry about the fungus: if the spot is tiny just store the lens well and ignore it, probably it won't affect IQ at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've had my 103a (also have similar 46a) for a few years and on a film camera it produce good results....but don't use it much as I prefer my Kiron zoom.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I paid $20 + $20 postage. The seller is giving me $10 refund because of the fungus.

I'll see how it goes once I get the adapter. I bought a Chinese one on EBay so I have to wait a month or so for it to arrive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a really good quality lens for the price!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
It's a really good quality lens for the price!

Well I hope so.

We'll see when I get the adapter. It's very small and light so if it's got good glass then it will be a very versatile lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy has haze on some elements.
I just finished cleaning the elements (with cold cream and Zippo) for the second time and the rear element still has visible haze.
Nevertheless I took it out for a walk this evening and came back with the following pictures.
Seems ok now but I still have the feeling that the haze may have cost it some sharpness especially when shooting wide open.

Hope that yours is ok.

Do post some shots with that lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for my adapter to arrive. The snail looks very good but those other two images look a bit iffy. I'm beginning to worry about cheap Chinese adapters not being machined to correct distances as well. Confused

Thanks for posting the images. I really appreciate it. Wink

If my copy produces consistent images like your snail example I'll be very happy. The water droplets on the grass look very sharp as well but something doesn't look right in that image (don't know what exactly.)

Contrast is not that strong either IMHO. What do other more experienced viewers think?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:
I'm still waiting for my adapter to arrive. The snail looks very good but those other two images look a bit iffy. I'm beginning to worry about cheap Chinese adapters not being machined to correct distances as well. Confused

If my copy produces consistent images like your snail example I'll be very happy. The water droplets on the grass look very sharp as well but something doesn't look right in that image (don't know what exactly.)

Contrast is not that strong either IMHO. What do other more experienced viewers think?

I can't see anything wrong with any of those images.
The flies are excellent, but given their romantic setting, maybe a soft focus filter - haha.
The water droplets are also very good. I think that the lack of contrast there is only caused by the backlighting and flare.
Also, very shallow DOF.
Good lens from the looks
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
parabellumfoto wrote:

I can't see anything wrong with any of those images.
The flies are excellent, but given their romantic setting, maybe a soft focus filter - haha.
The water droplets are also very good. I think that the lack of contrast there is only caused by the backlighting and flare.
Also, very shallow DOF.
Good lens from the looks
OH

On my PC all three images look good. At the time I first looked was on my iPhone and the copulating flies looked very odd. Mostly out of focus. Contrast of the copulating flies is superb in my opinion.

As I have already said, I hope my copy produces similar results. I'll be very happy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lovely lens, try not to worry and you got it for a very good price. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

Agreed.
Enjoy.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
mo wrote:

Agreed.
Enjoy.
OH

Thanks for the reassurance guys. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the adapter today. I have only done a few preliminary night time test shots and it is still way too early to say anything about the lens with any certainty but I am happy. I think I have another very good lens.

It's nigh time here in Sydney, Australia and past week the weather has been very bad and it's still very bad. When the weather improves I will share some images.

Also, I'll take some pictures of the lens itself as there are lots if details and numbers printed on the lens which have me stumped. A thorough explanation of how I to use all these details will be appreciated. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 103a and I can confirm that it is a very nice zoom lens, whether used for film or digital. You can find out more about it at adaptall-2.org:

http://adaptall-2.org/lenses/103A.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus on the beak looks ok but I think I missed the top of the head.

Otherwise it looks like a very good lens to me.

Seems to be very good at F8.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some better images are here.

http://www.parabellumfoto.com/tamron-macro-zoom-80-210mm-f3-8-4-model-103a/

One thing that's very noticeable is the fringing when shooting in direct sunlight. Macro is quite good.

My eyesight plays up so the above example is not a good one. The cockatoo is out of focus quite badly when I look at it now. I'll post a much better sample.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be sharper but I think it's me that had focus out slightly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 80-210mm f/3.8-4 Tele-Macro 1981 by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, cracking stuff. Back in the days when nipples sold gear.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, they don't now? Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another image.

http://imgembed.com/embed/657439/-/226/1d6

This time the image is sharp. I'm getting used to the lens and really beginning to like it. The only problem is the CA, which I am also learning to deal with by avoiding direct sunlight on the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to get used to this lens and beginning to really like it a lot! Laughing

I also found an old thread started by Luis. Superb images there as well - http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-103a-80-210-3-8-4-zoom-excellent-value-t15971,highlight,%2Btamron+%2B103a.html Cool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days I'm using this lens a lot.

A Rainbow Lorikeet eating nectar from a Flame Tree

Aside from noise reduction, this is straight out of the camera. Exposure is slightly out I think (over exposed).

It resolves quite well on a 24mp camera.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too shabby at all.
You are really getting the hang of that lens.
We don't get rainbow lorikeets here but they do in town only 20km away - strange.
Thanks for sharing
OH