Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 55BB Mirror in the zoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Tamron 55BB Mirror in the zoo Reply with quote

Went to the Philadelphia zoo with kids today. Took my Tamron SP 500mm mirror lens on a A7 with me. Weather was nice and I was able to get a few really nice pictures. Had to keep shutter speed at 1/500 to get steady pictures so ISOs got pretty high for the indoor shots. All in all, very impressed with this piece of obsolete optics.

zoo-09441.jpg
by Jim Shen, on Flickr

zoo-09461.jpg
by Jim Shen, on Flickr

zoo-09416.jpg
by Jim Shen, on Flickr

zoo-09448.jpg
by Jim Shen, on Flickr

zoo-09469.jpg
by Jim Shen, on Flickr

zoo-09478.jpg
by Jim Shen, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb results with your 55BB! You've controlled the donut bokeh quite well in the two cat photos.

I have one of these Tamrons and use it for lunar captures. I think it's far from obsolete. The last shot is proof.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
The last shot is proof.

I've just gotten one of these and i've yet to use it.... that last shot is enough proof for me !

TFS

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obsolete? no way. It's a great lens, and you use it well. You have some lovely pictures there.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Superb results with your 55BB! You've controlled the donut bokeh quite well in the two cat photos.

I have one of these Tamrons and use it for lunar captures. I think it's far from obsolete. The last shot is proof.

Wasn't trying in particular to control the donut bokeh but it worked out pretty well.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Obsolete? no way. It's a great lens, and you use it well. You have some lovely pictures there.

Thanks Lloydy!

I wonder if this lens would be even more usable with A7 II with the in body stabilization.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oustanding photos. The last photo of the flamingo is the true standout and the bokeh are quite impressive in that photo for this being a mirror lens and all. As for the donut bokeh, I found the second shot of the cheetah to be appealing with their softer looking circles. Very well done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots !
Superb results with the A7.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun lens !!

Donuts can be a pain to manage..... and distracting....

But when you nail the focus....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
I wonder if this lens would be even more usable with A7 II with the in body stabilization.

Or one of the several recent Pentax DSLRs with built-in image stabilization - would have let you shoot at a slower speed and cut the ISO a bit. [However, you did very well, as is...]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Beautiful results of the lotus pads and flower.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:

I've used mine with the Sony A58 which has in-camera stab courtesy of one of James Liao's chipped M42 adapters, and I find hand-holding it is not difficult (despite the enormous equivalent 750mm focal length on APS-C) with or without the stab active. With, it allows me to reduce the shutter speed quite a bit and still (mostly!) get sharp pics.

Incidentally, I find the focus-peaking on my A58 a wonderful feature which totally sells the EVF for MF lenses. I'll post some pics when I have the time to get a new account sorted out (the two I used to use have both dropped out).

Brilliant lens, though! Very Happy
I also bought one of the cheap modern 500mm mirrors (Opteka?) in a junk shop the other day and there's really no comparison - It's much smaller and lighter, but it just takes rotten pics! Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miranda F wrote:
I also bought one of the cheap modern 500mm mirrors (Opteka?) in a junk shop the other day and there's really no comparison - It's much smaller and lighter, but it just takes rotten pics! Sad

Yeah, that Opteka is a Samyang, available under a variety of brand names, and it really isn't worth the price it sells for new. You're better off finding an old Spiratone or Tokina or Vivitar. But hey if you were able to pick it up for very cheap in a junk shop, you might be able to sell it and make a few bucks off the deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great results. Never heard of donut bokeh, but I like it, I imagine it might make for interesting pictures with certain backgrounds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better than I would have thought.