Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 135mm f2.5 Adaptall 2 - any good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Tamron 135mm f2.5 Adaptall 2 - any good? Reply with quote

I just got outbid on a Tamron 135mm f2.5 adaptall 2 lens by like 50 cents! Dang last minute snipers Confused

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350262880510

Anyway, is this lens even good? I figured for $50 I would try it out since it is a relatively fast f2.5. Should I keep an eye out for another one?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the winner did you a favor - thats too much money for this lens, particularly with an OM Adaptall.

I have no idea if its good or not, but it should normally go for less than this, maybe $20-30.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know, thanks.

I just sold my only 135mm (a Vivitar komine 135 2.8 ) because I was not satisfied with it until about f5.6. Are there any other budget 135's I should be looking for? I don't use 135 a lot, but I like to have it on hand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a Super Takumar 3.5/135 for about $30 if you look. If you want sharp results this will reliably deliver.

Personal 135 favorites at the moment are:

Old Tamron preset (Aetna and Soligor brands also) 135/2.8
Accura Supertel (Sankor) preset 135/2.8
Vivitar (Tokina) T4 135/2.8
Komura preset 135/2.8 - really fine this one
Komura preset 135/3.5

These can usually be found reasonably cheap. $20 limit.

Be warned though that I am not very picky.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I think the winner did you a favor - thats too much money for this lens, particularly with an OM Adaptall.

I have no idea if its good or not, but it should normally go for less than this, maybe $20-30.

I agree. I bought a Tamron SP 60-300 f/3.8-5.4 on eBay a few months back for $27. They sold new for over $300 back in the 80s. I already owned one, but I wanted the Adaptall-II mount it had and the hood, and this was the cheapest way to get those two items. So the lens was free, really.

Keep looking's my advice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this Tamron 135/2.5, I only did some tests shots and it seems to be rather good at f/2.5, I plan to compare it against more than 10 other 135mm lenses (all the 4 Takumar, Beroflex 135/1.8, Takumar (bayonet) 135/2.5, Tair 135/2.8, some Nikkor lenses, and other 135mm), I expect some good results and an excellent quality/price ratio Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 135/2.5 and like it. It's a trade-off in design which prioritises maximum speed over other qualities. It gets by with only four elements, so I guess there were limits to what the design could be expected to do, but I've always been happy with the results. And it's nicely made. Mine performs better than the 135/2.8 Vivitar which I have, although right now i can't recall who the maker was.

Prices are creeping up - good ones seem to be reaching 30 regularly, alhough they still go occasionally for under 20 on eBay UK.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: I like the Tair 135 2.8 and vivi 135 2.8 Reply with quote

I got the vivi for $25us and the Tair for 65us... They are a lot of fun and I think fairly sharp wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last few I've tracked have both sold for over 50.00 each, so there's obviously demand at the moment, hence I put one of mine up for sale! It's currently on 20.00 with a couple of days to go...

It's sharp for a 135mm which I guess is it's main selling point.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice fast lens, not worst than Takumar 135mm f2.5.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of samples:
All at F2.5 and without PP.

Sometimes good bokeh. Great sharpness.

100% sample of the above.

You get theese aberations though at 100%:

Put the sun in the picture and this is the result:

/Jan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this lens with Canon 5D Mark II and found that it give me the superb pictures. Please with for tomorrow, I'll show you some pictures of my works with this lens. The file are in my office.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this lens and I must say that this is the 135mm that finds the way into my bag more often than any other 135mm lens I have.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this lens for 25 Eur and I am very happy with it: at f/2.5 it is very easy to focus even in scarce light conditions. Fully open at f/2.5 it is sharper than the comparable price vivitar f/2.8 I had before while being about half step faster. It also tolerates better incident light and in general returns more contrasty pictures. Here is a pictures where I used this lens to reach out for a singer a bit far away on the stage (GIMP was used for cropping and color correction). This lens became part of my set fog shooting gigs/tango.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tamron 135mm f2.5 Adaptall 2 - any good? Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
I just got outbid on a Tamron 135mm f2.5 adaptall 2 lens by like 50 cents! Dang last minute snipers Confused

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350262880510

Anyway, is this lens even good? I figured for $50 I would try it out since it is a relatively fast f2.5. Should I keep an eye out for another one?

It is a very good lens for sure. I think it is worth $50, but, of course, if you can get one for less than by all means do so. Best, jt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the good quality of the Tamron Adaptall 135/2.5 lens. It's fast, quite good optically and very compact for a lens with an f/2.5 aperture (it's only 79.5mm long and accepts a 58mm filter). I also has a large focus ring which is adequately dampened, a reasonably close 1.20m minumum focus (compared to other 135mm lenses of the time) and a very useful built-in collapsible hood.

You can certainly find better lenses, or smaller ones, or faster ones, but it would be very difficult to find the same mix of features at this price level.

Cheers!

Abbazz