Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 103A 80-210/3.8-4 Zoom - Excellent Value !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Tamron 103A 80-210/3.8-4 Zoom - Excellent Value ! Reply with quote

I picked this up for the usual nominal sum. It came complete with original case, caps, hood, PK mount, and even its papers !

Nice hood. Plastic, but seems sturdy.

This is one of the most common Tamron lenses, a 1980's best seller.

I have the older 03A also, which is very similar externally -

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-cf-80-210-3-8-4-adaptall2-the-cheapest-adaptall-t12928,highlight,tamron+80210.html

The 103A lacks the built-in hood, which is just as well as that wasn't very good.

As far as construction and design, this is a very typical Tamron of the era, all straight lines and lots of engraving all over. This one, like the 03A, is built quite loose and "creeps" all the time, and keeps slipping out of the long end (which I like to use) to the short end. Maybe I'm just rigid-minded, but I would like a lens to stay where I set it.

Like its predecessor the 03A the ergonomics of this are superb, it is easy and natural to zoom and focus, the relatively large aperture makes focusing quick and accurate (I got all the sharp "the bird" shots I wanted right off). It is very light compared to anything in its class, other than the plastic lenses of the 1990's.

It is of course a "close-focus" lens, and unlike the 1970's style of "close focus", this one, like the 03A, does so continuously from infinity for all focal length settings. At 200mm it focuses under 1 meter, which is excellent for "flower" shots.

Performance is excellent I think, even wide open it is in the class of any 200mm prime I have tried, being at the limit of my sensor. What more can I say ? This thing is great and is often available very cheap. It has to be one of the best lens bargains there is.

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had this lens and I agree, it is great value for money, since you can find it for low prices.
It is pretty fast for a zoom of that range but it really shines when stopped down in sunny weather. The huge hood prevents flares well.

Why did I sell it? Because I had too many tele zooms of that range, including the Tamron 19AH and my beloved monster lens Soligor 3.5/70-220.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, they are sold for the price of the Adaptall mount and probably never used ... a real shame Sad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my all time favourite lenses!

<edited>

Last edited by ManualFocus-G on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
One of my all time favourite lenses!

Mine too !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens Very Happy I have the 03A and love it, it's never turned in a bad result so far.

These Tamrons are some of the all-time under-valued lenses. Long may it continue so others can experience the joy of them Cool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the unsung hero of 80s trombone zooms, that one. They sold thousands of them and ebay prices are such that everybody should pick one up - typically less than a tenner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi luisalegria,

That is a great series of shots showing what this lens can do... best bang for the buck zoom out there IMO. And those photos prove it!

I got mine thrown in with a adaptor purchase I think, and immediately was blown away by it. Sharp as a long zoomer and pretty great close-up lens also.

I work in SF and shoot pentax too... Nice to see another SF mflense shooter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clearly shows your talent how do you catch lights and your Pentax camera power. This lens is not this good... Wink I have it too in both version.

Congrats for this beautiful pictures!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite 'value' lenses too. I've had three that came with mounts and have kept the best one. More than anything it is very easy to use and one of the easiest to focus with an 4/3 viewfinder.
Punches well above it's weight I think.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very pleased to see such high quality images from this lens. I'm waiting on a delivery from ebay £4 including delivery.

It was described as having some dust. How easy is this lens to open and clean? At the price I suppose that it shouldn't matter, I'll see what it looks like when it arrives.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who wrote:
I'm very pleased to see such high quality images from this lens. I'm waiting on a delivery from ebay £4 including delivery.

It was described as having some dust. How easy is this lens to open and clean? At the price I suppose that it shouldn't matter, I'll see what it looks like when it arrives.

Don't clean! It is not impact picture quality at all. Cleaning minimum remove coating and open a zoom lens and rebuild again not a hobby photographer task we should left that for professionals.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Don't clean! It is not impact picture quality at all. Cleaning minimum remove coating and open a zoom lens and rebuild again not a hobby photographer task we should left that for professionals.

Fair enough - thanks for the warning.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
who wrote:

I agree Crying or Very sad

I have the pieces of a cheap prinz 70-150. My children used them to play with Embarassed