Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar (Pentax) vs Nikon Vs Canon 50ish mm??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:19 am    Post subject: Takumar (Pentax) vs Nikon Vs Canon 50ish mm?? Reply with quote

So, I'm on the search for a new walkaround lens and I realized that I have never tried a Nikon or Canon lens. Right now I have a SMC Tak 50mm 1.4 as my walkaround lens and I get great results. However, the grass is always greener........and I have never tried Nikon or Canon. I have been toying with the trying the Minolta 58mm f1.2, but thought maybe I should try Nikon or Canon to see if I like those better? Is it worth the investment in an adapter to go down the road of either of these veins? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Takumar (Pentax) vs Nikon Vs Canon 50ish mm?? Reply with quote

mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
So, I'm on the search for a new walkaround lens and I realized that I have never tried a Nikon or Canon lens. Right now I have a SMC Tak 50mm 1.4 as my walkaround lens and I get great results. However, the grass is always greener........and I have never tried Nikon or Canon. I have been toying with the trying the Minolta 58mm f1.2, but thought maybe I should try Nikon or Canon to see if I like those better? Is it worth the investment in an adapter to go down the road of either of these veins? Thanks!

I've not tried a Canon lens, but I don't notice any practical difference between my Takumars and my Nikon lenses, they're both very good.
Fortunately I picked up adaptors for most systems s/h before the prices started to sky-rocket Wink
My "generic" conclusion ... most anything post 1970, especially from Japan, is much of a muchness when compared like with like ... a lot of German lenses from the '50's and '60's are worth the effort if you value "character" above overall image quality:)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FD 50 1,4 is among the best, just like Nikkor Ai-S same speed and focal. I own both and I like them, better in my opinion than the Takumar.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
Canon FD 50 1,4

The samples:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor 50/1.4 AIS is brilliant, sharper, great contrast and color rendition but different character than the Takumars

The super-takumar produces images that are more ethereal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titrisol70 wrote:
The Nikkor 50/1.4 AIS is brilliant, sharper, great contrast and color rendition but different character than the Takumars

Any samples of the Nikkor compared to the Takumar? Also, what special adapter would I need for that lens? Looks like there are more than a few to choose from for Nikon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
titrisol70 wrote:

Any samples of the Nikkor compared to the Takumar? Also, what special adapter would I need for that lens? Looks like there are more than a few to choose from for Nikon.

I've used both in film cameras for a while. Let me see if I have any wide open pics

Re: adapter, that I have no clue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends on what you consider to be a "better" lens. I seldom use it as a general term. Even when we talk about sharpness, that really depends (on the part of the image, the aperture...). Some lens can be sharper wide open, but less sharp stopped down; or sharper in the center and less sharp outside of it etc. You have some obvious alternatives, like those mentioned here (Canon FD 50mm F1.4, Nikon AI-S 50mm F1.4), also later Olympus 50mm F1.4 and Minolta 50mm F1.4 models. For different character you could consider some of the 55mm F1.4 options as well.
You could also consider some F1.7 or F1.8 lenses, depending on what you actually want to gain, and even save some money. Again, it really depends on what you like and want (and I understand that sometimes it's actually hard to know this without trying more lenses...). For example, one of my favourite lenses is MC Pancolar 50mm F1.8, and I like it more than any of F1.4 options I have. Generally, if I have many lenses of the same FL, I prefer to have lenses with different character and advantages. But I needed to try them myself to know... Sometimes I'd surprise myself with my preference.