Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: using ancient lenses Reply with quote

I am in two minds about conservation v\s use.

Yes, I understand that extended life on the shelf may increase value for those who collect rather than use, and that original packaging and brilliance is nice.

Do note, however, that the curators of old buildings also conscientiously conserve refurbishments and signs of use. That is part of genuine history.

Of course I would take care of the ancient Asahis and not refurbish the products of St.Heand, Wetzlar, Ballaigues or Rue de Tlemcen, so that they were not damaged, but it would seem strange not to use them as intended. Their nicks and scratches should be seen as part of growing old. The pristine ones have not really lived the life for which they they were intended.

p.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: using ancient lenses Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
I am in two minds about conservation v\s use.

Yes, I understand that extended life on the shelf may increase value for those who collect rather than use, and that original packaging and brilliance is nice.

Do note, however, that the curators of old buildings also conscientiously conserve refurbishments and signs of use. That is part of genuine history.

Of course I would take care of the ancient Asahis and not refurbish the products of St.Heand, Wetzlar, Ballaigues or Rue de Tlemcen, so that they were not damaged, but it would seem strange not to use them as intended. Their nicks and scratches should be seen as part of growing old. The pristine ones have not really lived the life for which they they were intended.

p.

Very Happy
Sometimes, I wish the lens that comes to me will not be to pristine.
That would make me more daring in its use. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucius wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
SiRCRX wrote:
wowwwww Shocked

I only have few Taks :
Super 50/1.4 8 element (2 #)
S-M-C 50/1.4
S-M-C 28/3.5
SMC 55/1.8

If you were only allowed to only keep 5 of them .... which ones ? Wink

I had all 18 M42 S-M-C primes from 17mm-500mm. I sold most, keeping these:

20/4.5
35/2
50/1.4
85/1.8
135/2.5 (II)
200/4
500/4

I kept also 50/4 Macro-Takumar (1:1) & 100/4 SMC Macro-Takumar; I sold the S-M-C Bellows & Auto Bellows II...

Limited to keeping only 5 lenses list becomes: 35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 135/2.5 (II), & SMC Macro 100/4.

I'm curious how is 500/4? strong CA like 300/4 ?

Delayed answer... Laughing

I haven't noticed, nor have I used the lens as much as the others. The 500mm has 4/4 optics compared to 5/5 in 300mm...

BTW, I sold the 50/4 Macro-Takumar (1:1)...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiRCRX wrote:
wowwwww Shocked

I only have few Taks :
S-M-C 50/1.4
S-M-C 28/3.5
SMC 55/1.8

Curious re: your title. Is reference to vintage Honda? I have a 91 Si, modded a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
SiRCRX wrote:
wowwwww Shocked

I only have few Taks :
S-M-C 50/1.4
S-M-C 28/3.5
SMC 55/1.8

Curious re: your title. Is reference to vintage Honda? I have a 91 Si, modded a bit.

Off topic: You have great taste in cars. Like 1 small (had a '89 Si)

On topic:
Regarding using the old lenses, I don't see why not use them. Hardly any wear and degradation just taking photos.
It's not a car, plane, or piece of organic tapestry.