Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar 18mm f11
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Takumar 18mm f11 Reply with quote

I recently picked up a Takumar 18mm f11 that had a small scratch on the front for $50 US. When I attach it to an M42-EF adapter, there is some metal sticking out the back that my Canon 6D mirror hits! So, I put a 1mm or so rubber spacer between the lens and the adapter and the mirror problem has been solved.

What affect will the increased 1mm flange distance do to the picture?

I noticed that the picture is much sharper at F32 than at F11. Is this due to the lens itself or the increased flange distance?

Oh and there is flare everywhere! I think this lens should be used for those ghosts in your house reality shows!

Noah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 1mm extension, lens cannot focus to infinity.

For M42 Takumars:

15mm, I don't know.

17mm fisheye, EOS FF mirror clears.

20mm, EOS FF mirror hits when lens focus is set to infinity, sometimes.

24mm, EOS FF mirror hits.

28mm, ok.

35mm, ok.

50mm, EOS FF mirror hits when lens focus is set to infinity, sometimes.

No problem with longer focal lengths.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Takumar 18mm f11 Reply with quote

noahwrote wrote:
I recently picked up a Takumar 18mm f11 that had a small scratch on the front for $50 US. When I attach it to an M42-EF adapter, there is some metal sticking out the back that my Canon 6D mirror hits! So, I put a 1mm or so rubber spacer between the lens and the adapter and the mirror problem has been solved.

What affect will the increased 1mm flange distance do to the picture?

I noticed that the picture is much sharper at F32 than at F11. Is this due to the lens itself or the increased flange distance?

Oh and there is flare everywhere! I think this lens should be used for those ghosts in your house reality shows!

Noah
Adding the 1mm gap is like turning the focus ring till the optics move 1mm, for a long FL lens, it won't effect it much because the lens moves like +2cm in it's focus travel, for an ultra wide lens, it's focus travel is less than 1cm, and a few don't even have a focus helicoid, like this Takumar fisheye, so wide open you'll loose infinity, this means you will have to stop down to increase the DOF and regain infinity.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
Noah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't try to do any surgery on it to convert it for Canon use, as it will ruin its possible resale value.

Even if you manage to focus it correctly, the 18/11 Takumar is not a good lens, I advise you try to sell it for the price you paid and use your money on a better lens.

Cheers!

Abbazz