Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

taking smell off your backpacks/bags
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: taking smell off your backpacks/bags Reply with quote

today i got a "new F-Stop backpack with ICU" (Ebay text) which was used, but not worn out. It smelled like hell from smoke - worse than a big ash bin in a restaurant. Unpacking it, it couldn´t stay in my office, so I banned it to the outside and googled. I cannot send it back, because I need the ICU this weekend and F Stop is sold out on ICU´s since month. F-Stop proposes tea tree oil to take of bad smells from sweat. I immediately went to the drugstore and bought it, brushing the whole thing with warm water and medium concentrated oil. It is already much much better now - think one or two nights outside and i can accept it. This oil helps as well against other parfumes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray inside and outside with Febreeze - absorbs such nasty smoker's scent rather well.
I always ask before buying stuff, even lenses stink so much. Brrrrrhhhh, revolting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put bags in the washer and then air dry them.

Last edited by Gardener on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
even lenses stink so much.

I once got a lens... man... my impression is that the underlying smell was cat urine, so the seller wrapped it in some dryer sheets which, if anything, made it worse. I put it in the garage and it sat there for year before I could take it in my hands without gagging. If it weren't an FD 28/2.0 I would have probably just tossed it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozone. MY little consumer generator was US$120...

Febreeze should be banned from the Earth! I must say that when you live in pristine environment and have visitors from the city bring their supposed civilized smells like Febreeze, Auto Air Fresheners, scented laundry detergents, you can smell them coming from miles away! And those automatic sprayers for home, office, restroom, etc., we are being slathered in chemicals...

Another method that works but may take some time is to place lens in a box alongside a cup of vinegar -- eventually the acidic atmosphere will neutralize the stinky sulfur compounds...wiping the lens body with 3-5% acetic acid vinegar and immediately wiping with plain water should remove some of the smell...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Febreeze should be banned from the Earth! I must say that when you live in pristine environment and have visitors from the city bring their supposed civilized smells like Febreeze, Auto Air Fresheners, scented laundry detergents, you can smell them coming from miles away! And those automatic sprayers for home, office, restroom, etc., we are being slathered in chemicals...

Another method that works but may take some time is to place lens in a box alongside a cup of vinegar -- eventually the acidic atmosphere will neutralize the stinky sulfur compounds...wiping the lens body with 3-5% acetic acid vinegar and immediately wiping with plain water should remove some of the smell...

I fully agree about that nasty stuff Febreeze, I ONLY have it and use it for that, and outside my house!!!

Ozone is some rather nasty and dangerous stuff when inhaled, I'd rather be careful with that!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

I fully agree about that nasty stuff Febreeze, I ONLY have it and use it for that, and outside my house!!!

Ozone is some rather nasty and dangerous stuff when inhaled, I'd rather be careful with that!!

Laughing Even worse is chem that essentially disables smell for some time. One whiff cannot smell anything. I've never tried it so I don
t know if onset of exposure can be detected. Used by hunters & farmers, iirc.

Yes indeed! Thank you for reminding me ozone is dangerous.

Maybe it is too easy to forget because it is so easy to use! Please use much care handling ozone! Mine has 1/8" plastic hose output, for attachment to porous aquarium stones for oxygenating water to sterilize. Ozone chemical is O2; molecule is pair oxygen atoms; extremely flammable and corrosive.

The ozone generator operation manual has plenty of warnings -- -- do not breathe; use outdoors, never ever in enclosed space (explosions); remember "oxidize" and "rust" are synonyms, so do limit exposure time. Fortunately, it works very fast, almost immediate! There is immediate sterilization -- bacteria literally explode. Stinky sulfur compounds "oxidize", turn to unscented salts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozone might be an option - putting the bag in a closed big plastic box and letting it in for 1-2 days with an ozone gernerator blowing in - event it is risky, but we all can read and act according the security advices ( sometimes Twisted Evil )
washing in the machine is no option, because this will destroy the inside of the bags dividers and dampeners, as well as the F Stop has a built in aluminium frame, that will not fit into my washing machine
I still think this oil is not bad, as it takes dirt and fungae away as well, when brushing the surface with it
a loundry dryer for venting it would be an option - not here because of the already mentioned alu frame -
and what works not too bad, is hanging these things into your shower in highly humid place - there smell is taken out as well

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you have already managed to get rid of that smell, but just in case...
Sodium Bicarbonate (aka Backing Soda) is another good, cheap, readily available and ecologic option to remove smells.
Just pour it generously on the whole stuff you're trying to de-smell, brush it thoroughly, let it set for some hours (maybe a night) and finally vacuum-clean it.
I tried it, it works quite well.

Davide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with guys - Ozone is the best solution. If you have problem to get the machine, you could always drive to the garage where air conditioning is being maintained. You could put your bag in big, sealed plastic bag and just put output of ozone machine in there or simply leave the bag on the seat in the car while they clean airwents of your car with ozone Smile. It usually takes about 15-30 minutes and I had never had bad smell in my car afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx Davide and Mateusz
the smell is gone - it was unexpected faster for the inner parts with foam, that for the outer thin shell
but it is good now

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seal lenses in a plastic box or a glass jar with an open container of activated charcoal. I like to just bu the quart jars at the drugstore and take off the top and use a "canning ring" with muslin cloth over the top so the powder is less likely to get spilled. The smell molecules get stuck in the little pores and are trapped. DON"T GET THE STUFF ON YOUR LENSES. The microscopic charcoal powder will be near impossible to remove.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Seal lenses in a plastic box or a glass jar with an open container of activated charcoal. I like to just bu the quart jars at the drugstore and take off the top and use a "canning ring" with muslin cloth over the top so the powder is less likely to get spilled. The smell molecules get stuck in the little pores and are trapped. DON"T GET THE STUFF ON YOUR LENSES. The microscopic charcoal powder will be near impossible to remove.

thx - sounds good - hope I do not need to "unsmell" more purchases