Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Taisei Kogaku Tamron 135/2.8, any good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Taisei Kogaku Tamron 135/2.8, any good? Reply with quote

In a local second hand store I stumbled upon a preset Tamron 135mm f/2.8 lens.
Didn't buy it and made two snapshots with my phone, as I was in a rush.
On the nameplate it says Taisei Kogaku, and it's preset lens with (I think) a T-mount (with Exakta, I think).

It looks a bit like the Twin-Tele lens, which I read is quite good.

Any ideas about this lens?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got the 'TWIN-TELE' - which is the same 135 / 2.8 lens but it comes with a teleconverter that makes it 225 / 5.5 as well. And it's a great lens, I've had some good pictures from it - at both lengths. Obviously it is a lens of its time, don't expect the sort of results you would get from a modern lens, but expect to be surprised. It's a lovely lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three pic's from the TWIN-TELE with the TC so they are shot at 225mm. ( I can't find the 135mm test pic's ) No processing, just resized.
I think they show that the lens is actually way better than we should expect for a lens of its age, at 135mm it's better than this.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this would be the same as the Twin-Tele lens?

What would be a reasonable amount to pay?

Not sure about the condition, I think the rear element was quite covered with sticky dust.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I paid about £20 for the TWI-TELE, in perfect condition with original caps but no box or case, from the local camera fair. But I did get lucky, the seller hadn't got a clue what he was selling. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the TWIN-TELE. I'm pretty sure the 135mm part is the same. ( The gun is a fake, theatrical prop Wink )

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies!

I'll see if I can go back and have a better look at it.
Curious to know what price they would ask.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is the same as the twin tele version.
It was also sold under many names.
I thought it was a fine 135/2.8, by my standards. Of course, a great number of 135/2.8 are fine lenses by my standards.
I still have a couple in different markings.

http://forum.mflenses.com/converto-tamron-2-8-135-matched-tc-full-1962-kit-t23521,highlight,%2Btamron.html

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135/2.8 by itself

http://forum.mflenses.com/converto-tamron-135-2-8-t-mount-t17053,highlight,%2Btamron.html

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, 135 with Twin Tele finish looks so similar to my Kawanon:
http://forum.mflenses.com/kawanon-2-8-135mm-12-blades-t2-t43207.html
See bellow DOF scale narrowing on all lenses for instance. I could bet this is the same maker.