Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair 3s (Photosniper)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Tair 3s (Photosniper) Reply with quote

I have been an avid follower of this forum for some time and have had many manual focus lenses (of all qualities), but have never found any that truly make me want to mmake a post about until today when i purchased the above lens for £25! in mint condition
this was my first afternoon with my newest ebay purchase...a huge 300mm Tair 3S on my Canon 70d.
Well what can i say this lens is really impressed me and its definetly a keeper. Very good sharpness, very nice bokeh and colours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome on board! Smile

Yes, this lens is great!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like its very close relative the Tair 300A, it will be very good at long distances as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another shot from this morning

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Pablo and welcome aboard. Very Happy

It's a very good price for this lens.
I am Lucky enough to have 3 Taïr 300mm f4.5, and very happy with all 3 : Taïr-3A Brussels Grand Prix 1958, Taïr-300 A from 1972 and Taïr-3 PhS included in the whole photosniper kit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just amazed with it. Much more enjoyable to use than my Canon 55 250 IS. Dont even think the weight is as bad as I expected.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$100 is a good price for a lens like that? The guy said that it also has a TC but he doesn't know what mount. Is something different than the M42?
Can I shoot some stunt planes at a show this summer with an old boy? Smile
I know that at a price like that I can buy a AF plastic lens...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semaca wrote:
$100 is a good price for a lens like that? The guy said that it also has a TC but he doesn't know what mount. Is something different than the M42?

I haven't checked prices recently, but $100 sounds like a normal/good price for one in good condition. This means that with some patience you can probably find one for less, but if you are sure it is in good condition and you trust the seller, it surely is worth that price (especially if it comes with extras like filters and hood).
I have only seen it in m42 and a version for the kiev88 MF camera, but I guess other options are available.
To shoot moving subjects you need to get used to handling (weight is not extreme, but it's not a lightweight lens at all, and easily much heavier than modern lens in the same fl, and then it's very long and quite big), but after a bit of practice I find it pretty comfortabile to use. The AF lenses you can buy for that price will probably be worse under many aspects (except for flare resistance, weight and AF).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
I have only seen it in m42 and a version for the kiev88 MF camera, but I guess other options are available.

It is easy to find M39 mount on the old 'Grand Prix Brussels' versions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semaca wrote:

Hello Semaca and welcome.

I have 2 questions :
1/ What is your camera brand and model ?
2/ What is the exact name of the Taïr which is proposed to you ? Taïr-3A, Taïr-300A, Taïr-3 PhS (photosniper)
These are M39 and M42 : http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.photohistory.ru%2Findex.php%3Fpid%3D1207248188998898&sandbox=1
But there are also medium format ones available in Kiev-60 Pentacon-6 or Kiev-88 :
http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.photohistory.ru%2F1217797734826089.html&sandbox=1.
I know adapter rings for Kiev-60 Pentacon-6 (P6) to EOS.
I don't know adapter rings for Kiev-88 to EOS.

100$ for a plastic AF 300mm ? I doubt, and in case I think it would be worse.
Of course you can shoot stunt planes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier, I think it's a Tair 3S with 2X Beroflex converter. I don't know what is the silver thing. I am using a little nikon d60, but I will buy a new camera this year. It's really hard to focus without liveview and only with a small viewfinder.

While searching for the ad I have found a 50$ new Pentacon 200mm f/4. I know it's not the best topic but can it be a better version at that price? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Semaca, it's a Taïr-3S but the beroflex seems to have been added by a "do-it-yourself" conversion.

The original mount seems to have disappear and the metal red button too.

If you can't check the lens by yourself, I I were you, I would let it go.

About the Pentacon 4/200, it's a good lens and for that price, it's a good deal.
But I think it should be too short for shooting an acrobatics planes' meeting.
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-26-pentacon-200mm-4-t37756,highlight,%2Bpentacon+%2B200mm.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You was so lucky, I've never seen this lens with that super low price. I was in love with it for a long time but finally I had to pay $90 for a modified one with Pentax 645 mount. But actually this lens should cost much more than that because it's a beautiful beast! I'm always willing to carry it around if I want good random portraits.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
semaca wrote:

Hello Semaca and welcome.

I have 2 questions :
1/ What is your camera brand and model ?
2/ What is the exact name of the Taïr which is proposed to you ? Taïr-3A, Taïr-300A, Taïr-3 PhS (photosniper)
These are M39 and M42 : http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.photohistory.ru%2Findex.php%3Fpid%3D1207248188998898&sandbox=1
But there are also medium format ones available in Kiev-60 Pentacon-6 or Kiev-88 :
http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.photohistory.ru%2F1217797734826089.html&sandbox=1.
I know adapter rings for Kiev-60 Pentacon-6 (P6) to EOS.
I don't know adapter rings for Kiev-88 to EOS.

100$ for a plastic AF 300mm ? I doubt, and in case I think it would be worse.
Of course you can shoot stunt planes.

The Tair-33 (for MF camera type Kiev-88 or Kiev-6) is not similar to Tair-3 regarding to formula. It has 1 more element. In fact, the Tair-33 has the same formula as Tair-11! So, the Tair-33 is less effectiv in corner than Tair-3.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I did a good deal: a Tair 3S PhS with only 40$ Smile The owner told me everything is working on it. I hope so. Too bad I will have only half of the gun, no shoulder thing.
I don't know if I am wrong, but I don't see it on my future lens that silver lever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Semaca.
Can you post a picture or give a link to see the lens and answer about the silver lever.
It may be has been unscrewed because it's annoying for shooting.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Congrats Semaca.
Can you post a picture or give a link to see the lens and answer about the silver lever.
It may be has been unscrewed because it's annoying for shooting.

The lens arrived today, I did managed to do three pics and everything works. Maybe I will be able to post these days some samples. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy for you Semaca.
Can't wait to see your sample shots. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Happy for you Semaca.
Can't wait to see your sample shots. Very Happy

I don't know why, but I can't screw the lens into the adapter so that the focus knob to be aligned down, it's somewhere on the left. Not so easy to focus Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semaca wrote:

I don't know why, but I can't screw the lens into the adapter so that the focus knob to be aligned down, it's somewhere on the left. Not so easy to focus Laughing

At the end of the lens, is a T2 mounting -- it has three equally-spaced grub-screws around its edge. With the lens fitted to your camera, loosen these slightly and the inner and outer layers of that mounting will allow you to rotate the lens itself, till the lens markings and controls are where you would prefer them ... then tighten the grub-screws again.