Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair-3A - 300mm manifactured by ZOMZ - the different tair
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Tair-3A - 300mm manifactured by ZOMZ - the different tair Reply with quote

Here is what my Tair-3A looks like. I am very happy with all of it aspects, except the weight.

The lens produces really nice images. Sharp at all aperture nice bokeh.

With hood extended.

Here are some specs:

Focal lenght: 300 mm (299,89 mm)
Viewing angle: 8°
Glass/Groups: 3/3
Aperture: 1:4,5--1:22
Aperture blades: 16
Closest focus.: 3 m

Resolution center (0mm/10mm/20mm) 1): 45/43/38 lines/mm
Resolution corner: 36/30 lines/mm
Filter Thread: ?76 mm

You can see all my images taken with this lens here:
http://www.aquariasq.com/photos/images/zenphoto/olympus-e-500/KMZ-Tair-300A-300mm/

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very beautiful lens, seems to be in a very good condition. ZOMZ Zagorsk factory is missing in my small collection. Interesting, thanks for showing.

Michael

edit: I was blind - you mentioned that it was made by ZOMZ Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! Thanks!

It seems to be much more usable than my Sniper (originally "Snaiper") version.
Anyway, I got mine for a good price and am very pleased with the results.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the photosnipper version. Tair - 3 - PhS 72mm filter.

I would be very interested in seeing some test shots from the lens and a 100% crop. Preferably against the light a bit 3/4 and f5.6 max.
I have just posted examples from mine on your Gallery thread.

A Russian 300mm I really like is the Rubinar f4.5 300mm mirror lens. With a length of 100mm it isn’t much bigger than a kit zoom lens and with f4.5 even on dull days it usually manages a higher enough shutter speed to hand hold it. It is a great street lens. As this shot shows. Can you imagine having a walk round town and do a few shot with a Tair? And Hand hold one, it’s hard enough just to carry one!
More Mirror lens shots
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64956578@N00/sets/72157600217314951/

Rubinar. Very sharp, no distortion, no CA or flare or any other noticeable aberrations.

My next appearance. Hand held

100% crop

Another 100% crop showing I got my focus slightly out there. Well back

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Cool shots. I am looking forward buying one 500mm Russian mirror lens. But where I live they are hard to find and are expensive. The thing are worst because In Bulgaria we do not have paypal and I cannot get one online either Sad

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Russian seller has alternative payment methods than PayPal. I suggest you tou buy 3M-xx Russian mirror lenses.Don't buy rubinar if you find 3M.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Many Russian seller has alternative payment methods than PayPal. I suggest you tou buy 3M-xx Russian mirror lenses.Don't buy rubinar if you find 3M.

The 3M Russian is the older MTO which the Rubinar superceded. The Rubinar is a new optical design and regarded as an improvement on the old one. The MTO range is cheaper than the Rubinar range and has been available for a much longer time so there are far more of them about More info can be found on the Sales site or by doing a search Perhaps you have some example pictures from the '3M' ?

For 500mm mirror lenses I don't think the Tamron SP can be bettered. This really is a special lens. It produces pin sharp results. I would love to have the f5.6 350mm SP Tamron mirror, but they sell for just too much money for me to warrent buying one as I already have so many good 300mm lenses. Of those the f5.6 300mm SP Tamron can't be beaten.

Last edited by Rob Leslie on Fri May 18, 2007 5:21 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3M-6A 6.3/500 which works well with good definition although quite low in contrast like most mirror lenses I tried.
I don't have a Rubinar so I can not compare.

All in all I am not a great fan of mirror lenses, but I also have to say that I am not the kind of photographer who uses super teles much. I don't do wildlife photography so for me a 300mm normal glass like the one I have is more than enough for my normal landscape needs.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
Attila wrote:

The 3M Russian is the older MTO which the Rubinar superceded. The Rubinar is a new optical design and regarded as an improvement on the old one. More info can be found on the Sales site or by doing a search Perhaps you have some example pictures from the '3M' ?

For 500mm mirror lenses I don't think the Tamron SP can be bettered. This really is a special lens. It produces pin sharp results. I would love to have the f5.6 350mm SP Tamron mirror, but they sell for just too much money for me to warrent buying one as I already have so many good 300mm lenses. Of those the f5.6 300mm SP Tamron can't be beaten.

Rob has absolutely right about Tamrons, for example I bought two copies from Tamron SP 300mm f/5.6 because simple superb!.

Here some links:

3M-5CA 500mm f/8
3M-6A 500mm f/6.3
Rubinar 500mm f/8
Tamron SP 500mm f/8

Finally the princess Carl Zeiss Jena 500mm f/4 yes F4!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an 100% crop of picture with my TAIR ... nothing edited or retouched.

http://www.aquariasq.com/photos/images/IMGP0630.jpg