Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

T4 - TX cross compatibility: TX Nik F mount on a T4 OK?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: T4 - TX cross compatibility: TX Nik F mount on a T4 OK? Reply with quote

I have understood up to this point that putting a TX mount on a T4 lens can be problematic (a Minolta TX mount for example won't go on this viv 400mm). However I have been trying out this TX Nikon F mount with prongs on this vivitar 400mm T4 lens and it seems to go on OK , iris closes down with the movement of the aperture ring, prongs move in sync.

Am I right in supposing that on digital in any case this will work and be the normal stop down aperture priority set up? Can one of of you guys with nikon insight advise?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: TX mount user manual Reply with quote

I have created a pdf of the user manual as a resource.

PDF here

Last edited by marcusBMG on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/F should work with T4 and TX. N/AI will not work on T4.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what seems to be the case cheers cc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful of Nikon F mounts on Nikon DSLRs.
If not AI or AI-s, they can foul the meter coupling lever on the body of the camera.
You probably already knew that
OH Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, Oldhand, but from what I've read on Ken Rockwells pages and from trying out the different varieties of nikon adaptall mounts I think that most specifically applies to legacy nikon lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar and Soligor versions only swop one way, and I can't remember which way at the moment Confused I fixed the interchangeability problem when I figured out the release catch sat a just a few 100/mm towards the centre of the lens and the teeth jammed. I undid the two screws and put a bit of paper under the catch as a shim, and that was all it needed.

The diameter of the Soligor lens at A is very slightly smaller, which means the teeth on the lock E are closer to the centre of the lens. Remove the lock mechanism - two screws B ( nothing falls out ) and shim the lock away from the lens by placing something under the lock at C. I used paper the first time I did this, but I removed it for some reason, and I've just done it again using electrical insulating tape.
The teeth of the lock engage in the serations on the mount, using the right adapter mount for the lens there are four clicks as it ratchets into the locked position. But the Soligor mount in the Vivitar lens wouldn't go one click. With the lock lifted it now goes two clicks which locks it perfectly, and still does four clicks with the correct mount.
I have two lenses and four mounts, 2 Vivitar, 1 Soligor and 1 unbranded, and now I can swop them all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had an opportunity to try a Vivitar mount on a soligor but that info is really valuable Lloydy thanks for that.

I have now read online that pentax PK TX mounts will also work on T4.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lloydy"]The Vivitar and Soligor versions only swop one way, and I can't remember which way at the moment Confused I fixed the interchangeability problem when I figured out the release catch sat a just a few 100/mm towards the centre of the lens and the teeth jammed. I undid the two screws and put a bit of paper under the catch as a shim, and that was all it needed.

Lloydy, I think you are a victim of production variations and not a difference between brands. I think I have about 40 T4 and TX lenses and probably 50 mounts. Some combinations are easy to swap and some a bit fiddly, but they work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, production variations could indeed be the problem. The difference in the lens diameter - A on the picture - is just 0.0065mm ( measured across the peaks of the knurls ) which is nothing, I'm sure that would be within acceptable tolerances. But lifting the catch makes the difference of locking the adapter to the lens or not