Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Swapping mounts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Swapping mounts Reply with quote

I have a few lenses in FD and MD mounts that I would like to change to M42. Is this possible and if so, how complicated would it be. I have a lovely mint vivitar series 1 70-210mm f2.8/4.0 that I would love to use on my 600D as well my A1 and would get an M42 to FD adapter for this if I can change the original mount if that makes sense.

Steve.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy an M42 to FD adapter and you won't lose infinity focus, but you can't do it the other way around. I don't know about MD, but it's probably the same. Also, going from Canon FD to Nikon will require an adapter with a glass element if you want to retain infinity focus (not recommended). You can go from Nikon to Canon FD without losing infinity focus, however.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael, what I actually want to do is remove the whole fd mount and replace it with a doner M42 mount.

Steve.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping mounts Reply with quote

bychance wrote:
I have a few lenses in FD and MD mounts that I would like to change to M42. Is this possible and if so, how complicated would it be. I have a lovely mint vivitar series 1 70-210mm f2.8/4.0 that I would love to use on my 600D as well my A1 and would get an M42 to FD adapter for this if I can change the original mount if that makes sense.

Steve.

this lens isn't simple to convert, i have opened that particular vivitar and it's pain to put it back together as it was, let alone change mount

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that. Look here for some helpful servicing documents:
http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_507.html

regards
hasan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bychance wrote:
Thanks Michael, what I actually want to do is remove the whole fd mount and replace it with a doner M42 mount.

Because the registration distance with M42 is greater than it is with FD, you're actually looking at having to remove material from the back of the lens to do this. I for one do not know how to proceed with this sort of mod. I would be more inclined to just search for the S1 70-210 in m42 than try to do this mod.

That's an interesting source Hasan has posted a link to. But he posted a link for the wrong zoom. This is the one you want:

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1563.html

It shows that the 2.8-4 was still available in M42, which is what I was wondering about. I just searched eBay and got several hits for the older f/3.5 models, but none for the 2.8-4 model. So you might just want to be patient and check in periodically.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m42 has pretty small diameter, it could be mechanically easier to conver to EOS directly

(I don't know if there exists an EF-lens to FD-camera -adapter to use it with your A1, the whole idea sounds backwards .. ?)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
m42 has pretty small diameter, it could be mechanically easier to conver to EOS directly

(I don't know if there exists an EF-lens to FD-camera -adapter to use it with your A1, the whole idea sounds backwards .. ?)

Yep, besides there would be no way to control the aperture (no aperture ring on EF lenses)

It is possible with the Canon breechlock lenses (can't state this for any others because I haven't tried them) to convert them to EOS pretty easily using an M42-EOS adapter. The protrusion at the back of the breechlock lens fits snugly inside the M42 adapter's opening. All that's left is to grind down the flat flange of the M42 adapter some given number -- I think it's about 0.020" -- and then to screw it down to the lens using the threaded holes that exist in the lens already. Countersinking the screws is best.

I've converted an FL 55mm f/1.2 this way. Nice thing about it is it is a reversible, non-destructive conversion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a list of the different registration distances
http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a bit of a machine shop with esp a lathe, my conclusion from a period of tinkering is the same: the time and effort is better invested in simply finding the lens in the mount you want.

Lenses vary a lot in their construction. The lens I was just trying to clean - a canon fd 300mm f5.6 - has a mount that comes off cleanly leaving a nice flat end that would by very appropriate for a bit of diy. Use a mount cannabilised from an old lens, or a cheap M42 or reversing adapter, machine a shim to get the registration distance right, engineer a connection to the iris. And it would be easy to do this reversibly.
Most lenses have mount ends that are more inextricably entwined, so to speak. 3rd party lenses like vivitars can be amenable, they were often designed in a fairly modular manner to be easy to manufacture in all the mounts of the time.

As far as conversion to canon EF goes, Eddie Houston - The Lens Doctor - does this, look him up. he converts just about anything. His work looks beautiful - but pricy!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this with some success and much failure. Converting Canon FD lenses will be almost impossible without good technical skills and well equipped workshop. And then only on some lenses. I converted a PK lens to M42 and got the mount slightly skewed. Ruining a good lens and making it almost impossible to get good pics. MD to M42 is difficult too as its FFD is shorter.

I'll be honest it will be better to get another in M42. BUT with M42 you pay a premium as its the most versatile.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have adapted a couple of Canon FL/FD mount lenses to PK.
On the ones I did it was fairly easy.
It all depends on how the maker puts he mount on and how much working room is left after removing the old mount.
I gather that Canon-brand lenses are the most difficult to adapt.

Its harder to convert to M42 because you have to find a thin M42 mount plate to use. For EOS or PK or Nikon there are flanged adapters that you can use as the mount.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top of all the difficulties and letdowns you've encountered with such a project,
i don't believe the S1 2.8-4/70-210 was ever made in an M42 mount...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I don't think i would have the skill to do the job after all the difficulties mentioned above.

I got quite exited for a while there Smile rip off the fd mount a simply replace with...

Never that simple is it.

Thanks for the replies.

Steve.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mount is your S1 70-210 Vivitar ? is it Minolta or Canon ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its minolta Dave but I have other fd mount stuff that I would like to use on my 600d I know adapters are pretty crap hence the thought of swapping the actual mount.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bychance wrote:
Its minolta Dave but I have other fd mount stuff that I would like to use on my 600d I know adapters are pretty crap hence the thought of swapping the actual mount.

A Sony A5000 is going for £250 with a kit lens, probably cheaper without. It would probably give a better image, better DOF/exposure preview, better MF assistance and fit pretty much any full frame lens on the planet with a basic adaptor, plus the option of full-frame equivalence with a £100 Lens Turbo II. Is it worth trying to get a crop frame DSLR to use these lenses?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not but in ignorance of the dificulty I hoped it may be possible.

Steve.