Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Susquehanna river at dawn
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Susquehanna river at dawn Reply with quote

The sun was still 20 min from peeking over the ridge... the ES-II with Elite Chrome loaded was acting temperamental, it was 24 degrees F.... Lukcily I had a proper camera with me, the Bessa 66 with its uncoated Skopar. Ilford Delta 100 in Fomadon Excel (Xtol) straight, 8 minutes, film #9 for the liter. Epson 4490, slight curves adjustment + .2x150% sharpening.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mood in the picture. Fine gray tones. But the boat is ugly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, good tones and comp. I like the boat, it's like someone thought of
using it for a kite. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Love the mood.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

It was an interesting setup, there's a street that runs along the river, with houses on the other side. The actual river bank seems to be an extension of their front yards, and there are many boats like this one.

If I recall correctly, this is at f/5.6 or f/8 and 1 second, on a tripod.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful. how far is the susquehanna from your home?

the shark-mouthed jon boat is a hoot. the evinrude/johnson outboard is pushing my age ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile thanks for the ID... it's about 3 hours to where I was.

Last edited by Nesster on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this...the boat but especially the trees behind the boat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile thanks, I like those trees in the back too.

Here's another - a bit further down the river if I recall, and with a deeper focus. I obviously had a hard time keeping the camera level, forgetting that my tripod head has spirit levels...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, the river rat life ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the tone of the second pic much better, Jussi. When I saw the first one my first thought was it needed more contrast. Then I realised it is in RGB format and when I converted to greyscale it matches the second one. Do you prefer B&W pics in RGB?

Sorry to hear your ES-II is giving problems. That's a shame, I've been very pleased with mine. What's the problem?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, yes, I do tend to prefer a bit of tone curve in black&white, though I suppose I leave a bit too much in sometimes. "Real" b&w prints seldom are purely greyscale, or rather I should say, the ones in galleries aren't Wink

The ES-II developed an intermittent electrical system; it hasn't given me this problem before - and I had Eric Henderson put in a new circuit last year. But a lot of it has to do with operator error, perhaps, and I intend to check out the battery compartment cover. I was going to blame the cold morning, but during the day the camera kept its temperamental behavior. Perhaps also the batteries aren't the best, I'll have to order a new batch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the boat. Even closer would suit me as the details (war paint) look interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Delta is awesome stuff. Sometimes is hard to compose at square. But I like both. And that boat isn't ugly. She's only feeling blue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I'm not sure what all I took with the ES-II slide film, and after the Delta I have some Astia in the 66 - been waiting for better weather to take the remaining 6 photos on the roll Wink So there's hope that maybe we'll see the war paint up close and in color :p

Shocked Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Oh crap, The slide shots with the 66 may have a peculiar yellow cast, I think I forgot to move the yellow filter aside. Rolling Eyes Embarassed We'll see... I'm happy my head's glued onto my neck or I'd forget it someplace...