Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Superwide week!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice indeed!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niblue wrote:
Very nice pic of a nice bike - some good choices for favourite places as well although mine would be slightly further north (http://www.pbase.com/niblue/nw_september_2007)

I've got bikes too (mainly Hondas though) - maybe there is a case for a MF forum does Scotland by motorbike meet!

Excellent shots!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, I made it - just in time. Wink

Here are some pictures that show a similar scene shot with three different lenses and with a considerable level of post-production.

This one was shot with my Hanimex 3.5/23, tonemapped with Photomatix:

This one with my Zenitar 2.8/16, tonemapped with Photomatix and distortion corrected:

This one with my Tokina 4/12-24 at 12mm, tonemapped with Photomatix:

And this is the same one with my Toki 12-24, but traditional layer post production with Photoshop:

The Tokina 12mm shots were not distortion corrected!

Of course, it is no fair comparison, since I discovered this old barrel when I already had the Zenitar and the Hanimex in my pockets.
And I didn't have the time to get them out and shoot them again... Sad

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is a quick'n'dirty B&W conversion:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series Carsten!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you can see is the huge difference in FoV, starting with the Hanimex 23mm that offers an angle of about 60°, then the Zenitar Fisheye with a (corrected) angle of an estimated 80° and finally the Tokina (at 12mm) of about 99°.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final superwide from me.

5D + EF17-40L once more at 17mm.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Carsten: I think that your "old" Photoshop layer technique gives the best results.

@Bob: wow, all your pictures are breathtaking, but it's not fair since you are able to shoot such gorgeous landscapes! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors simple amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my contribution, shot yesterday:

Zenitar-M 2.8/16 "Twilight Moves"
EOS 400D:

_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bob, Orio, Steve: Excellent shots!

@Bob: Incredibly beautiful landscapes!
@Steve: Very creative treatment of the subjects!
@Orio: Great scene! I like the light and the moment of capturing.

@Orio: I agree about my "old" technique. It looks the most natural, doesn't it? TM can be impressive, but it almost always looks artificial, although I only applied only very small levels.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, fisheyes can be used for street photography, also.

Another thing to be noted, even when the framing does not let you immediately perceive it's a fisheye -because, like in this case, most of the important vertical and perspective lines are near the centre-, still fisheye distortion is there, but instead of being obvious, it works more subliminally, like in this case it makes this perfectly flat street look like it's not flat, but lower on the right side. This distortion looks natural so our eyes accept it - the result is added "life" and "movement" to the image.

It was an instructional experience, actually. I learned that fisheyes can be a powerful street photography tool. But you must pay even more attention to the composition than with the normal lenses.
Next Christmas, I'll put the Zenitar, too, in my photo bag.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, apologies for missing the boat for this week. I was actually away on holiday in Paris and The Netherlands, taking the pictures.

As Attila knows, I've recently bought a CZJ Flektogon 2.8/20 MC and this was the first time I've been able to use it properly. When I got home and looked at the pictures I was a little disappointed - I missed focus on many shots as the lens is focussing past infinity slightly, even on an M42 camera. Anyway, I managed to get a few shots I'm reasonable happy with. The lens is incredibly sharp at f5.6+ (when I get the focus right!)

1 - Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, taken from a bridge over the River Seine

2 - Now to the land of truly big skies. This is Afsluitdijk, linking North Holland with Friesland. This incredible feat of engineering in the 1920s/30s is about 25km long and encloses the old Zuider Zee, forming a freshwater lake (Ijselmeer) on the landward side (on the left in this shot). This enables the water level to be lowered below sea level to reclaim large areas of land, called Polders.

3 - Finally this is a place called Zaanse Schans near Amsterdam where a traditional Dutch waterside village and many old windmills have been preserved and reconstructed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots, Peter!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the infinity focus on M42 camera ?! this is strange. I beleived this is happen on DSLR only with adapter, I don't remember exactly but I guess I found this with my Flek 20mm 4 lenses too I thought this is my adapter only.
Orio do you have similar problems with your Fleks ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
You missed the infinity focus on M42 camera ?! this is strange. I beleived this is happen on DSLR only with adapter, I don't remember exactly but I guess I found this with my Flek 20mm 4 lenses too I thought this is my adapter only.

Yes I had the same problem with the only 2.8/20 Flek that I owned, it focused well past infinity. It is one of the reasons why I sold it: since it's not easy to focus with a wideangle, it is important to be able to rely on a correct infinite focusing at the end of the ring rotation.
I never had this problem with any of my 4/20 Fleks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Yes. On the Spotmatic when the lens is at the infinity stop it's slightly past the best focus point and the microprisms on the focussing screen are just beginning to show. But it's not a major problem now that I know about it. I think it might be slightly worse on the Canon, maybe due to the adapter, but the small dark viewfinder makes it difficult to tell for sure. I'll be able to tell better when I have the film pictures developed to compare with the digital pics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this lens was MINT for this reason ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I think it might be slightly worse on the Canon, maybe due to the adapter

Actually, in such a case the adapter should help, as it would compensate.
My 2.8/20 was probably worst than yours, because it's focusing was way out of whack even with the adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a least 2 things that may affect lens quality if used on a digital camera :

- part of the light may bounce on sensor, then bounced back by the lens rear element, it finally adds some ghost / flare
- the light, once bounced on the sensor, may be bounced back by a non black coated adapter; same effect.

I will receive some black M42 to EOS adapter in some weeks, I will do some test to compare the result with my actual bright metal coated one.

Edit : oops; I'm a little bit off thread... Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Attila wrote:

Yes I had the same problem with the only 2.8/20 Flek that I owned, it focused well past infinity. It is one of the reasons why I sold it: since it's not easy to focus with a wideangle, it is important to be able to rely on a correct infinite focusing at the end of the ring rotation.

This is exactly the problem. I'm finding that focussing on the 400D, with its small dark screen, is quite difficult, especially in low light conditions. Maybe part of the problem is that I'm not used to using this focal length yet. I'm quite happy with the lens and I'd rather have one that focusses slightly past infinity than one that doesn't quite reach it! Smile

I'm wondering if it's possible to adjust the lens so that the infinity stop is at the right place. It's a very simple job on a Pentacon 1.8/50. Does anyone know how to do it on the Flek 2.8/20?

Quote:
I never had this problem with any of my 4/20 Fleks.

No, but the older 4/20s often have other more serious problems in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to suggest that you might be able to adjust the lens. But I don't know about the 2.8/20. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

No, but the older 4/20s often have other more serious problems in my experience.

I have 5 4/20 Fleks and the only problem I have, with only one of them, is that the aperture pin is a bit fickly. A thing that with Jena lenses is, unfortunately, more the rule than the exception.

Design-wise, the only little inconvenience that they have is that, instead of having the auto/manual switch, they have a lever to be pressed to stop down. But it's enough to use them with a flanged adaptor and the little problem is solved.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I miss this thread? Full of stunning pictures. Almost makes one believe in the super wides. Great work all who contributed.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Attila wrote:

Yes. On the Spotmatic when the lens is at the infinity stop it's slightly past the best focus point and the microprisms on the focussing screen are just beginning to show. But it's not a major problem now that I know about it. I think it might be slightly worse on the Canon, maybe due to the adapter, but the small dark viewfinder makes it difficult to tell for sure. I'll be able to tell better when I have the film pictures developed to compare with the digital pics.

Attila, fingers crossed, I think I've solved this problem. Smile

I was looking to see if there was a way of adjusting the focus scale and I found it's possible to turn the filter ring a little. It's stiff to turn, but it makes a huge difference to the focussing. I marked on the ring with a pencil at the point opposite the infinity symbol and then turned the ring till this mark was at the position on the scale where the lens was focussing properly on infinity, about 10m. Simple! After a lot of adjusting and checking, I think the focussing is PERFECT now! Smile