Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 OR Rokkor 58mm 1.4?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm okay thanks. I might try this lens out but can't find any samples or charts from it: Pentax Ricoh Vivitar 50mm 1.4 M42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay it's not suprising how I'm starting to come full circle here. My OP was asking/considering the Super Tak 50 1.4 M42 mount or MD Rokkor 58/1.4...well I went with the Rokkor and spend an extra $75 on an adapter and I really like the lens, but not on my 5DMK2 so it has found its home on my 30D and it does a nice job at portraits.

Reading all the great replies here and hearing the Super Taks will most likely him my mirror too at infinity...uggg...so I'm back to trying to find a decent 50 1.4 (really don't need a 1.2) and I wold like to also find one with medium focus travel...not too short but not too long either. I prefer 55mm threads or bigger.

I'm now considering the Nikon Nikkor MF 50mm 1.4 Ai-S Lens OR the Pentax Ricoh Vivitar 50mm 1.4 M42. I would imagine the IQ of the Nikkor to be better.

Just want to check my sanity...both of these can focus at infinity on the 5DMK2 correct?

Any other close recommendations here?

Thanks,
Roy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could consider the Olympus OM 50mm F1.4

I would be surprised if you had problems with the mirror, and there is an adapter for Olympus OM to Canon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on 5D Mark I the Tak f1.4/50 hit the mirror, not on the Mark II though, quote from page 4 of the thread: 5D Mark II lens compability chart ( see: http://forum.mflenses.com/5d-mark-ii-lens-compatibility-chart-t15761,start,45.html )
voytek wrote:
SMC Takumar 1.4/50
Super-Takumar 1.4/50
are working with Canon 5Dm2 without any problems
M42/EOS adapter with AF chip from big-is ebay seller

note that Super Tak and S-M-C / SMC or not identical, the later two may be the more desirable lenses

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dnas and kuuan,

I do have the oly 50 1.4 but it's too soft wide open and the CA is a bit on the top end.

I've been to that thread about the Mk II compatibility so I must have missed that, thanks.

Where do you think that nikkor 50/1.4 ai-s falls compared to the Tak 50/1.4 with IQ? I think the Tak 50/1.4 is 49mm filter thread whereas the Nikkor is 55mm right? I do like the feel of a bigger lens.

Thanks,
Roy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motleypixel wrote:
Where do you think that nikkor 50/1.4 ai-s falls compared to the Tak 50/1.4 with IQ? I think the Tak 50/1.4 is 49mm filter thread whereas the Nikkor is 55mm right? I do like the feel of a bigger lens.

Thanks,
Roy

If at all I would not know in which way, I think either one is a great lens.
Note that the S-M-C 1.4/50 is my favourite lens ( of the ones I have, of course ) so I prefer it over my Nikkor Auto-S 1.4/50. But I prefer smaller lenses and the handling of the Tak and the Nikkor does not fit my Pentax too well, the Tak thus is better in use. Other users may just as well prefer the Nikkor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas, do you have a picture of the Canon SSC?

I would love one for my Panasonic G1 but there appears to be more than version going around on ebay!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta Rokkor Pf 58mm f1.4 (converted to Minolta AF mount in Pete Ganzel's method) and Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4- I like them both and have not had a chance/and enough experience to favor one over the other yet.

Image from Rokkor "Reflections"

Image from Super-Takumar "Sunset on boardwalk"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the serial number of your oly 1.4? It has at least 5 version and the one with serial number >1100000 are reputed to be the best.

My nikkor 50/1.4 ai(s) is sharper than S-M-C tak 50/1.4. nikkor 50 use 52mm filter like most other nikkor. On the other hand, my nFD 50/1.4 is really soft wide open compared with other 50s, so I am quite surprised by the test result. Maybe the SSC is different from the nFD?

Even though nikkor is sharper, I still prefer S-M-C tak over it. But then when you compare them with Planar... Twisted Evil

motleypixel wrote:
Thanks dnas and kuuan,

I do have the oly 50 1.4 but it's too soft wide open and the CA is a bit on the top end.

I've been to that thread about the Mk II compatibility so I must have missed that, thanks.

Thanks,
Roy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
dnas, do you have a picture of the Canon SSC?

I would love one for my Panasonic G1 but there appears to be more than version going around on ebay!

Here we go, FD 50mm F1.4 SSC:
(and another interesting lens, but not as good as the FD 50mm F1.4 SSC)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was about to purchase the Takumar 50mm 1.4 but now I'm seeing that the Canon FD SSC 50mm 1.4 is sharper wide open. Would the newer Canon FD 50mm 1.4 be just as sharp wide open?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may show some examples taken with a Minolta MD 50/1.4. I have been using this lens to shoot in poorly lit venues on a M4/3 G1, not wide open but @ f2.

I am very pleased with this lens but I have also been trying to get a Canon FD 50/1.4 but always get out bid. Sad