Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 OR Rokkor 58mm 1.4?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
Great work, congratulations. For these things I got rid of my takumar and Pentax.

Greetings.

Hi Franco.

The test is OK, of course, but we must take it with certain relativity.

See, if you did'n it yet.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club-273.html#post1044802

Please, see the # 4091.

Bad IQ???

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
francotirador wrote:
Great work, congratulations. For these things I got rid of my takumar and Pentax.

Greetings.

Hi Franco.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club-273.html#post1044802

Please, see the # 4091.

Bad IQ???

Laughing Laughing Laughing
We can not speak ill of Takumar or Pentax?
It's just that the worst fault of a high-end lens for me is the CA.
Of course, Takumar are very good, much more SMC .
No me peguen, soy Giordano.
Laughing

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:

Greetings.

estudleon wrote:
francotirador wrote:

Greetings.

Hi Franco.

Please, see the # 4091.

Bad IQ???

I made no value judgement, and I love my Takumars, so I certainly wouldn't get rid of any!!!!

Take a look at my first lot of tests, with the center shots. I estimated that the Canon FD SSC was first, followed by the SMC Takumar. (sharpness and contrast). The Canon FD lenses do not adapt well to other mounts, so if I wasn't using a micro 4/3 camera, for center sharpness and contrast, I'd probably pick the SMC Takumar.

These tests reveal HOW you can use these lenses.

For example, I'd might choose:

Portraits: SMC Takumar
Sharpness center to corner, wide open: Canon FD SSC
Sharpness center to corner, F4: MC Rokkor 58mm
No CA: MC Rokkor 58mm

If you KNOW your lenses and how they preform, use them to take advantage of that!!!!!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
estudleon wrote:
francotirador wrote:

Greetings.

Hi Franco.

Please, see the # 4091.

Bad IQ???

We can not speak ill of Takumar or Pentax?
It's just that the worst fault of a high-end lens for me is the CA.
Of course, Takumar are very good, much more SMC .
No me peguen, soy Giordano.

No, no, I didn't speack specially about takumar lenses. And each people have his own preference, of course. All of us must feel free to chose any lens. Of course !!

I could told about the relativity of the test, thing just said a lot of times here.

And I had in my mind the great pic of Kuuan (our forum's fellow too). I should put any other of the thounsands taken with the S-M-C- or other lens.

Anyway, the canon, what a lens!!!!! The MC 58 is terrific too.

Sometimes I asked about the 1,4/58 MC, and the answers were that it was not very good. Now I doubt about that opinion.

Rino (el que no le pegó a giordano).

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Sometimes I asked about the 1,4/58 MC, and the answers were that it was not very good. Now I doubt about that opinion.***

Variations in manufacturing.....machine/assembly tolerances etc, so the same lenses can vary in quality? The best way to find out about lenses is to test them yourself.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
***Sometimes I asked about the 1,4/58 MC, and the answers were that it was not very good. Now I doubt about that opinion.***

Variations in manufacturing.....machine/assembly tolerances etc, so the same lenses can vary in quality? The best way to find out about lenses is to test them yourself.

That's true. I've tested quite a few lenses like this, and there can be some variation.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

That's true. I've tested quite a few lenses like this, and there can be some variation.

Yes, both are right.

But I'm in a little market (and not a cheap one), so when one of the "known" lens appears, there are some potential buyers. We need an opinion before buy a expensive lens (expensive for argentinos, may be not for all).

I can't buy one copy and other and other of the same lens. So I need the opinions before.

Thanks.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, but sometimes it them tries the lenses they are done without doing a previous service and for my experience the IQ change very much after the cleanliness.
The truth is that every lens that we buy should clean before using it. Very Happy
Greetings.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
If, but sometimes it them tries the lenses they are done without doing a previous service and for my experience the IQ change very much after the cleanliness.
The truth is that every lens that we buy should clean before using it. Very Happy
Greetings.

.......and old lenses should be fitted to the cameras that they were made for, and how were cameras lenses tested? Using film and then enlarging a chemical print or slides and projected. Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
dnas wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Yes, both are right.

But I'm in a little market (and not a cheap one), so when one of the "known" lens appears, there are some potential buyers. We need an opinion before buy a expensive lens (expensive for argentinos, may be not for all).

I can't buy one copy and other and other of the same lens. So I need the opinions before.

Thanks.

Rino.

Sé a lo que te refieres! Acá en Perú los lentes vuelan!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
francotirador wrote:
Greetings.

.......and old lenses should be fitted to the cameras that they were made for, and how were cameras lenses tested? Using film and then enlarging a chemical print or slides and projected. Wink

Do not like the mix of old lenses on digital bodies?? Laughing Laughing Laughing
It makes digital photography more exciting ...

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
francotirador wrote:
Greetings.

Do not like the mix of old lenses on digital bodies?? Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's simple.....

Test the lens on the body that you will use it with!!!!

If you test the lens with a body that you never use, then why test it that way?

For example, the Canon FD SSC 50mm F1.4 cannot be used on any film SLR except for old Canon manual focus SLRs. It cannot be used unmodified, on any DSLR, if you expect infinity focus. The only cameras that these can currently be used with are micro 4/3 cameras. So if you don't have a old Canon manual focus SLR, and can't test the lens on that, does it mean you shouldn't use it on a micro 4/3 camera??
Clearly as you can see from the results above, it's worthwhile using the Canon FD SSC 50mm F1.4 on a Panasonic G1. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
francotirador wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
francotirador wrote:
Greetings.

It's simple.....

Test the lens on the body that you will use it with!!!!

If you test the lens with a body that you never use, then why test it that way?

For example, the Canon FD SSC 50mm F1.4 cannot be used on any film SLR except for old Canon manual focus SLRs. It cannot be used unmodified, on any DSLR, if you expect infinity focus. The only cameras that these can currently be used with are micro 4/3 cameras. So if you don't have a old Canon manual focus SLR, and can't test the lens on that, does it mean you shouldn't use it on a micro 4/3 camera??
Clearly as you can see from the results above, it's worthwhile using the Canon FD SSC 50mm F1.4 on a Panasonic G1. Very Happy

Certainly. So much as a rokkor in an EOS.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***It's simple.....

Test the lens on the body that you will use it with!!!!***

Well I don't have a problem with that as I don't have a modern SLR or DSLR, but DSLR owners are just lucky that they are getting away with using old lenses designed/made for film use.
Some might say "a lens is a lens" but would think Canon etc would design a lens to work at best with their DSLR's electronics.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
***It's simple.....

Well I don't have a problem with that as I don't have a modern SLR or DSLR, but DSLR owners are just lucky that they are getting away with using old lenses designed/made for film use.
Some might say "a lens is a lens" but would think Canon etc would design a lens to work at best with their DSLR's electronics.

Well, if you take the case of the old Canon FD SSC 50mm F1.4 (and all of the FD lenses), the cameras used with these lenses had no electronic connection to these lenses. And the electronics in those cameras were basic, and had no "smart" electronics.
You have to remember, the current Canon FE mount (completely electronic) was introduced in 1987. All the previous Canon FD & FL lenses don't fit the Canon FE mount.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not always they work better, if more rapid and automatic. Neither they have the same aesthetics, the same image. Some of them work well in sensors and we recover something of this romantic epoch of the photography. With these " old jewels " we can choose better than type of photo want to do. The lenses are mas expensive today, but his construction is more cheap in many cases, regardless of electronics.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use old manual lenses because you have in mind the pic that you want to take, and you think that with the oldest lens you can obtain better or similar pics that using newest lenses.

But you can use the old pretties because you feel the pleasure of use that lenses, without thinking about the final pic. Not matter the pic, only enjoy the use of the lens.

And both can be mixed. The pics and the lens are having in mind.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your experience the pleasure of the collector Rino. And the truth is that they are worthy of collecting. I the pleasure of the image. The most important thing is that still give pleasure. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
Your experience the pleasure of the collector Rino. And the truth is that they are worthy of collecting. I the pleasure of the image. The most important thing is that still give pleasure. Wink

Since you have seen from my tests that I have at least nine 50mm (or 57, 58mm) lenses, I get pleasure from both collecting them and using them. Very Happy

For example, I didn't include the Canon FL 58mm F1.2, or any of the F1.7 & F1.8 lenses!!! Or the others which include Chinon, Yashica, etc!!

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
***It's simple.....

Well, if you take the case of the old Canon FD SSC 50mm F1.4 (and all of the FD lenses), the cameras used with these lenses had no electronic connection to these lenses. And the electronics in those cameras were basic, and had no "smart" electronics.
You have to remember, the current Canon FE mount (completely electronic) was introduced in 1987. All the previous Canon FD & FL lenses don't fit the Canon FE mount.

....DSLR owners are acting out the past in a modern way, for me I'm still in the natural past.....of old lenses and old cameras.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
dnas wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
***It's simple.....

....DSLR owners are acting out the past in a modern way, for me I'm still in the natural past.....of old lenses and old cameras.

Nothing wrong with that!!!! Wink Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:

Touché. You are right.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
And I had in my mind the great pic of Kuuan (our forum's fellow too). I should put any other of the thounsands taken with the S-M-C- or other lens.

Anyway, the canon, what a lens!!!!! The MC 58 is terrific too.

Sometimes I asked about the 1,4/58 MC, and the answers were that it was not very good. Now I doubt about that opinion.

Rino

..blushing..
thank's Rino

the photo of the Indian kid you had linked I had shown here too, see: http://forum.mflenses.com/portrait-s-m-c-f1-4-50mm-t27768.html

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:

The Hexanon is the worst of them, but I have to say, the Konica Hexanon 50mm F1.7 is a gem, and very sharp. (I've test that before)
Another one that also great is the Olympus OM Auto-s 50mm F1.8 Not as sharp in the corners, but brilliant contrast!!!

Curious, with a Konica AR mount that the Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.7 comes in...are there adapters for this mount for EOS?

Thanks,
Roy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motleypixel wrote:
dnas wrote:

The Hexanon is the worst of them, but I have to say, the Konica Hexanon 50mm F1.7 is a gem, and very sharp. (I've test that before)
Another one that also great is the Olympus OM Auto-s 50mm F1.8 Not as sharp in the corners, but brilliant contrast!!!

Curious, with a Konica AR mount that the Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.7 comes in...are there adapters for this mount for EOS?

Thanks,
Roy

I think, according to this http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html you are out of luck(ie. with "lens-less" adapters).

Cheers,