Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sunstars...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Sunstars... Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a vintage piece of glass wider than 28mm that will give me insane sunstars. I love how my Tokina 11-16 bursts but it doesnt work great on my a7s. Anyone got any recommendations?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of a sunstar.
Technically speaking any star is a sun-layman's word.Vice versa is possible too.
I don't know how would look " insane sunstar".
Maybe you'd want to rephrase the request?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try using cokin star filter
http://www.cokin.com.au/creative_filter_system/star.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for lenses with odd number of aperture blades.
6 blades = 6 point star
7 blades = 14 point star
8 blades = 8 point star
9 blades = 19 point star
Etc...
And don't shoot wide open

CV15III

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love that CV lens - everytime I see a shot from it my wallet starts to twitch..........

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most nikon ai-s lenses have 7 straight blades which make very crisp 14 point sunstars. Curved blades affect how well defined the effect looks. Ken rockwell likes his sunstars, so all of his lens reviews cover it with sample images.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the wider the lens, the smaller the sun in the frame, making for a crisper sun star. My Nikkor 28 f2 AIS does OK when stopped well down, you get the star effect, but not really crisp as the sun is not a tiny point of light

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nikon 28mm f2 at f4 produces nice sunstars. I imagine the 24mm and 20mm versions should be similar, but I have the older 6 blade 24 and a modern 20mm f1.8.
Stow Hill Service Station by Kyle, on Flickr

F8 with the sun
Vibrant Morning light by Kyle, on Flickr