Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sunset 300mm f5.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Sunset 300mm f5.5 Reply with quote

I posted in the MFL Club about a Sunset lens. I received it today. It really was New In Box. The lens is a Sunset 300mm f5.5 lens made by Sankor. I was hoping it still had the price on the box but it didn't.

It still had the original packing and instructions.The box is pretty worn, but it's preety cool to still be complete.

The sad thing is the focus is locked tight. Crying or Very sad The optics are still perfect, and the appeture works grest.
So I guess the grease hardened up. So I will try a little heat first, and see if it loosens up.

Pictures of the lens to follow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to pictures Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunset 300mm f5.5 Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
I posted in the MFL Club about a Sunset lens. I received it today. It really was New In Box. The lens is a Sunset 300mm f5.5 lens made by Sankor. I was hoping it still had the price on the box but it didn't.

If it helps, I found a listing showing a Sunset preset 300/5.5 having a retail price of US $80 in 1967. I plugged it into an online inflation calculator, and it works out to about $525 equivalent in 2010 dollars.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A drop of oil in some lighter fluid has fixed many of my stiff lenses without me having to open them. A skill which I don't really have.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunset 300mm f5.5 Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
walter g wrote:

If it helps, I found a listing showing a Sunset preset 300/5.5 having a retail price of US $80 in 1967. I plugged it into an online inflation calculator, and it works out to about $525 equivalent in 2010 dollars.

Thank You. I was real curious about that.

Reading the instructions it says: Sunset lenses are merchandized by Interphoto corporation.
Never heard of Interphoto before.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
A drop of oil in some lighter fluid has fixed many of my stiff lenses without me having to open them. A skill which I don't really have.

Thank You. I might have to give that a try.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go. Very Happy There is dust I still need to clean that's on the outside of the lens and body. The box is pretty worn, but the lens is beautiful. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put it on a scale and it weighs in at 944 Grams. Ome last pic with it mounted on my Minolta.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a huge lens. I'll be interested to see how it performs, especially the amount of CA.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 9.25 inches long. I'm hoping it performs well.Hopefully I will be able to test it soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get a chance to fix this lens yet, but Forum Member Nottu asked if I had used it yet.
So I'm bumping this thread foward so I remember to test it tomorrow.
The focus is locked at 20 meters so that's what I will have to shoot it at.
My foot focus skills aren't that great but I will see what I can do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the box "For most SLR cameras"! I wonder which ones they included in that list Smile Smile

I would try a hair dryer and see if you can free the focus up Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
I love the box "For most SLR cameras"! I wonder which ones they included in that list Smile Smile

I would try a hair dryer and see if you can free the focus up Smile

I just bought a new hair dryer so I will give it a try.
Here is the list. Smile Sorry my scanner is giving out. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

That looks identical to the "Safari" 300/5.5 that I found for sale a while back:

... and to mo's Astronar 300/5.5:

More details: http://forum.mflenses.com/safari-brand-lenses-t28231.html

I also noticed that the red "Tc" looks identical to the red "Tc" on many Spiratone lenses... for what it is worth.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Soligor 5.5/300 that is identical too, I have it, not tried it yet though, hard to handhold due to the light weight and length.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is available in many different names, but is essentially the same thing. I haven't seen it as a Soligor though, although Soligor did re-brand a Tokina lens that looks very similar (but is a much better performer).

More on some other Sankors I've had, including further mount info here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=37215&view=next

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Spiratone label showing?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

Thanks for showing Spiratone label. Not critical yet helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread because it's clear the 300mm f5.5 I acquired as part of a lot with the adaptall 70-150mm soft is the same lens. Funnily there is no brand name on the nameplate, just "300mm 1:5.5 telephoto lens".
Like the Sunset lens the OP had, the focus is jammed. Pic 2 shows the end cover, tripod mount ring and depth of field scalering removed, exposing 3 larger slotted screws, one arrowed in pic. next step is to undo those, thus separating the mount end. Then unscrew the front end with the objective (separates at the obvious join just above the aperture rings) and try warming centre section with helicoid in the oven, thus hopefully softening the old lubricant.