Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Suggestions for a wide and fast LM or LTM lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for a wide and fast LM or LTM lens Reply with quote

Last weekend, I made some snaps from a gig in the pub. Due to the available light, I decided to use my Jupiter-3, and it handled the situation surprisingly well, with no major flaring despite some strong stagelights in the frame. I set the M at 1/60th, f-stop at 2-2.8 and auto ISO (which fluctuated from base 320 up to 4000)

However, I could only get head&shoulder-type of shots from the gig, not full body shots or e.g. more bandmembers in frame.

I am now considering a fast 35 or preferably even a 28. (24 is probably too wide, but of course I am open to pictures that could prove me wrong Wink )

Based on these requirements, what would be your recommendation?

- Min focus distance, if possible, of less than 1m
- I dont care much about corner performance
- preferably not too flare-prone
- rangefinder-coupling is a must!
- preferably compact
- let's say below 1000 euro, although for pub-use I feel more comfortable when the lens costs substantially less.
- preferably f/1.4 or 2.0, although for low light, 2.8 is often already good on the Monochrom, for subject separation it's nice to have some extra headroom

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtländer Ultron 28mm F2.0 or 35mm F1.4.
7Artisans 35mm F2.0 if you prefer a Sonnar.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 12 any good? 35mm f/2.8 minimum focus 1m, rangefinder coupled, currently not horrendously expensive 'cos the extended rear element won't fit into anything less than a full-frame camera.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Jupiter 12 any good? 35mm f/2.8 minimum focus 1m, rangefinder coupled, currently not horrendously expensive 'cos the extended rear element won't fit into anything less than a full-frame camera.
I'm already researching the J-12 but for pub&club-use it seems somewhat vulnerable during lens changes. However, once I have my copy, I will of course give it a shot too Smile

calvin83 wrote:
Voigtländer Ultron 28mm F2.0 or 35mm F1.4.
7Artisans 35mm F2.0 if you prefer a Sonnar.
Sonnar.... yummy Smile that in itself could make me buy that lens! [/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Voigtlander (Cosina) 35/1.2 type 1 Nokton and 35/1.7 Ultron.

I would suggest the Ultron- I have the original LTM version, black-paint. Focus is to 0.9m. Small, a little soft wide-open- but sharper than vintage lenses. A full stop faster than my Nikkor 35/2.5, and about the same price.

I had the Canon 35/2- sold it when I got the Ultron.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both CV Ultrons in M39/LTM, the 28mm/F1.9 and the 35mm/F1.7.

I like both. They perform excellently on my Ricoh GXR-M and better than expected on my FF Sony A7R II.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thomas!

For the 28mm, I'm currently looking into images made with the 1.9 Ultron. First impression is that it seems a good choice over other options, which have similar price but a full stop slower.

For 35mm, I made up my mind, I'll save up for the classic (spherical) Summilux 35mm. In the end, I would still want it so buying another 35 in between will only add costs. Besides, the 35 lux M seems now a bit more affordable than it was some months ago when I last checked.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
For the 28mm, I'm currently looking into images made with the 1.9 Ultron. First impression is that it seems a good choice over other options, which have similar price but a full stop slower.

Here are some examples from my Sony A7R2 (converted with the existing lens profile in LR6):

F1.9

F 5.6

F1.9 with 5mm maximum extension of my helicoid adapter:

For my taste it's performing rather well despite the known issues on the A7 concerning corner smearing (which isn't of any importance for you anyway).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pick up a LTM Ultron 35/1.7 Asph for about $300 and then sell it after getting the Summilux.

Wide-Open,

Pilot's Day 2013 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Bokeh shot-

Wide-Open, flare test

Stopped Down to F4.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it`s wide enough the Minolta M Rokkor 40mm f2,is great,very sharp centre from WO and tiny,handles flare pretty well for an older lens,the J12 doesn`t! Can fit that and the A7ii in a biggish pocket. One from a friends gig.

DSC03965.jpg by Macca h, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
If it`s wide enough the Minolta M Rokkor 40mm f2,is great,very sharp centre from WO and tiny,handles flare pretty well for an older lens,the J12 doesn`t! Can fit that and the A7ii in a biggish pocket. One from a friends gig.
Nice pic!

I have its twin, the Summicron-C 40, which I really like a lot, especially on my Fuji.

The difficulty on the Monochrom is that lenses for the CL/CLE call up 35mm framelines, so the framing is really a bit of guesswork. In chaotic situations (such as near the stage, or drunk at a bar) it's not my 1st choice. It is a really nice and versatile lens though, one of my very favorites.

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
You can pick up a LTM Ultron 35/1.7 Asph for about $300 and then sell it after getting the Summilux.
Nice images too!

I know the Ultron 1.7/35 is a great lens, but I'd rather save straight away for the 'lux; it shouldn't take too long, if nothig unexpected happens this autumn Smile For daytime & streets, I already have a 1952 Summaron 3.5/35, a capable little lens.