Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Street (...well, channel) photography in Venice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Street (...well, channel) photography in Venice Reply with quote

Sony-Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA - Sony A7RII.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

That first one has a very compressed, dense and intense perspective - stopped down quite a bit?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus!
No, the first image was not stopped down very much (I think it was f/2.8 ) but the image is cropped a lot (it's less than 1/4 of the initial image) and that's what creates the compressed perspective.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow, these are really great photos. They illustrate perfectly what a horrible tourist infested little ... Venice really is.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Miran!
Unfortunately Venice is the victim of its own success. It's slowly but obviously dying. Not because it sinks into the lagoon but suffocated by tourists (some 30 000 000/year!). The "Venice brand" is what attracts most of the tourist and not the genuine Venice culture, a milenare culture that added so much to the world's cultural heritage. The local traditions got transformed into turistic comercial shows, like in a sort of "cultural Disneyland". It made me very sad that, while an enormous crowd of tourists invades Venice every day, in the magnificent Accademia Gallery of Venice, where some of the best masterpieces of the greatest Venetian painters are housed, were hardly 2-3 visitors in every salon. But, on the other hand, because it was so empty I could really enjoy visiting the Gallery. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still love being in Venice, I don't even see those (other) tourists, I always walk around like in a dream, inhaling the centuries, the art and culture which was there once and the reminicence of all that today...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an impressive lens, and it's obviously in capable hands.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

super pictures, for me showing the difference between the ease and the volume/mass tourism and an environement that is well know, but hidden behind invaders

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
Thanks Miran!
Unfortunately Venice is the victim of its own success. It's slowly but obviously dying. Not because it sinks into the lagoon but suffocated by tourists (some 30 000 000/year!). The "Venice brand" is what attracts most of the tourist and not the genuine Venice culture, a milenare culture that added so much to the world's cultural heritage. The local traditions got transformed into turistic comercial shows, like in a sort of "cultural Disneyland". It made me very sad that, while an enormous crowd of tourists invades Venice every day, in the magnificent Accademia Gallery of Venice, where some of the best masterpieces of the greatest Venetian painters are housed, were hardly 2-3 visitors in every salon. But, on the other hand, because it was so empty I could really enjoy visiting the Gallery. Smile

It's funny you mention the Gallery Accademia as a place to escape to. My own bolt-hole wasn't too far from that - the Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, containing the Peggy Guggenheim collection. I've spent many an hour watching the world go by on the Grand Canal from the garden. Often as quiet as you could wish.

I've not spent any time in Venice since 1999, but back then I found it one of the easiest places to escape the hordes. You could easily turn down a random opening off a 'tourist trail' and find yourself sitting in a quiet local square or street.

It looks from what you say, and from what I read of the locals irritation, that this may no longer be achievable. I hope it is

still achievable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 DIN wrote:
super pictures, for me showing the difference between the ease and the volume/mass tourism and an environement that is well know, but hidden behind invaders

Lloydy wrote:
That's an impressive lens, and it's obviously in capable hands.

Thank you for your appreciation, gentlemen!

Sciolist wrote:
It's funny you mention the Gallery Accademia as a place to escape to. My own bolt-hole wasn't too far from that - the Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, containing the Peggy Guggenheim collection. I've spent many an hour watching the world go by on the Grand Canal from the garden. Often as quiet as you could wish.
I've not spent any time in Venice since 1999, but back then I found it one of the easiest places to escape the hordes. You could easily turn down a random opening off a 'tourist trail' and find yourself sitting in a quiet local square or street.
It looks from what you say, and from what I read of the locals irritation, that this may no longer be achievable. I hope it is still achievable.

Yes, there still are peaceful places to escape in Venice. The small streets outside the main touristic routes are still not so crowded. But, as Klaus said, you quickly learn to ignore the crowd and enjoy your particular Venice and not the touristic one. Venice invites you to have a deep personal relation with it. The smaller islands of Murano and Burano are still quite peaceful places, too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny. Have been there this week as well. However, was too lazy to carry around my A7R II. Took the Ricoh GXR with the tiny zoom lens instead. Wink

Anyway, a short impression from the Rialto bridge (pano from 6 pictures):

And the masses:

Cheers,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
That's funny. Have been there this week as well.

Indeed, we could almost meet there. Nice Rialto pano. You've been lucky to find a place close to the parapet of the bridge to make a pano without people in the foreground. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I still love being in Venice, I don't even see those (other) tourists, I always walk around like in a dream, inhaling the centuries, the art and culture which was there once and the reminicence of all that today...

Absolutely agree !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Teo!