Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strange Large screw mount lens Not M42 -more like 55mm rear
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Strange Large screw mount lens Not M42 -more like 55mm rear Reply with quote

Hello my photo friends....
I recently picked up a nice Schneider Tele-Xenar from a thrift shop and am a bit stumped. I am generally great at identifying lens mounts but this is a bizarre one that I just can not figure out.... Question

This is a Schneider 36cm f5.5 lens in a focusing barrel with a large screw mount design and the lens covers Medium format. It is not m42 but more of a 55mm rear thread size. I generally see this lens fitting Exakta and Leica but never in this focusing mount...

I am calling upon the great Vintage lens mount knowers of FM to decipher what this one is... Very Happy

Thanks all....

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Large screw mount lens Not M42 -more like 55mm r Reply with quote

First post doesn`t show pictures (anti-spam)

PLink wrote:
Hello my photo friends....
I recently picked up a nice Schneider Tele-Xenar from a thrift shop and am a bit stumped. I am generally great at identifying lens mounts but this is a bizarre one that I just can not figure out.... Question

This is a Schneider 36cm f5.5 lens in a focusing barrel with a large screw mount design and the lens covers Medium format. It is not m42 but more of a 55mm rear thread size. I generally see this lens fitting Exakta and Leica but never in this focusing mount...

I am calling upon the great Vintage lens mount knowers of FM to decipher what this one is... Very Happy

Thanks all....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Large screw mount lens Not M42 -more like 55mm r Reply with quote

PLink wrote:
I am calling upon the great Vintage lens mount knowers of FM to decipher what this one is... Very Happy ...

Read and wrote an answer over on Fredmiranda, but here we are on MFlenses Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not one of the great Vintage lens mount knowers here, but it looks like it might be a movie camera or television lens to me. I bet it's really a good lens whatever it's use!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
I am not one of the great Vintage lens mount knowers here, but it looks like it might be a movie camera or television lens to me. I bet it's really a good lens whatever it's use!

Thanks Jeff,
That has so far been what I have been feeling... I am just not sure which one... It covers medium format so I guess it could even work with 70mm format if desired....

I have been searching aerial cameras, motion picture camera, medium format, etc. I tried to screw a 55mm filter onto it - Very close but not quite... More like a 55.5 to 56mm screw mount rear I guess.

From what I can tell, the lens is from around 1938 (according to its serial number) and it has a matching barrel.

A strange one indeed....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

screw mount is huge I have no idea either what lens is this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the serial number ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Whats the serial number ?

S# 1461730

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/age_of_lenses/

says November of 1938...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early Primarflex screw mount ?
That would fit the date.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronica S2A 57mm x 1mm thread mount? If so, it has a 101.7mm flange focal distance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know what the thread was on the early Primarflex mount, but it was big.

http://shop.shphotoshop.de/Schneider-f-Bentzin-Primarflex-180mm-135-Xenar/en

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Early Primarflex screw mount ?
That would fit the date.

Ahhhh luisalegria ... You might have hit the nail on the head with that one.... Primarflex.... I might need to find another Primarflex and test this theory.

Exciting, I think this might be a super rarity for Primarflex if so - generally Zeiss, Boyer, Berthoit and Meyer have the lenses for this mount. I have never seen a Schneider for it... Hmm.

I sold the INOP one that I had a few years back...I am not sure the screw mount size for the camera but this might just be a match. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.exaklaus.de/priobj.htm

Hey ! one of our guys should be able to check this out !

Uh, Klaus ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw this thread start, I was just waiting for Luis. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why me ?
I do not actually own many weird German cameras or weird German lenses.
I wouldn't mind having them though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
When I saw this thread start, I was just waiting for Luis. Very Happy

Luis, sounds like a badge of honor to me Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a lens mount genius. Or at least allow me to think so. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Large screw mount lens Not M42 -more like 55mm r Reply with quote

PLink wrote:

[/url]

Just curious, but is that the aperture diaphragm ring up front, just behind the black arrow? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see my advice to come here and ask has paid off.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primarflex mount is significantly larger (ø70mm)... Not even Meister Korelle (ø60mm)...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it is Reflex Korelle which was built with 3 different mounts: bajonet (late), small screw mount around 39-40 (usual) and a big one (for Primoplan and long tele lenses)

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korelle, known to be supplied by Schneider, they did screws as well as this

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH-Objektiv-TELE-XENAR-5-5-300-5-5-F-30cm-fur-REFLEX-KORELLE-/181162186327?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objektive&hash=item2a2e1b9657

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is the tread mount associated with Meister-Korelle camera's?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was for 6x7 film, it would be a super-wide angle surely?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
If it was for 6x7 film, it would be a super-wide angle surely?

Well, it is 36cm or 360mm if I have read it correctly - so telephoto definitely.
It would be a lot easier if every manufacturer used the same units of measurement as they do now, but I guess back then there was no agreed standard.
Interesting looking lens
OH