Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strange Jupiter-9 m42 lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Strange Jupiter-9 m42 lens? Reply with quote

Hi, I found this Jupiter-9 lens, but I can't find any info about this model - it is m42 mount, aperture and focusing works but it has no markings for f stops or focus distance...

I tried searcing online and didn't find any similar J-9 lens - any info about it would be wonderful (military maybe?).

Last edited by mmatko on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Jupiter-9 m42 lens? Reply with quote

mmatko wrote:
Hi, I found this Jupiter-9 lens, but I can't find any info about this model - it is m42 mount, aperture and focusing works but it has no markings for f stops or focus distance...

I tried searcing online and didn't find any similar J-9 lens - any info about it would be wonderful (military maybe?).

reposted - first post doesn't display pictures as an anti spam measure.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lloydy - I was going crazy, editing post, preview ok and broken links when posted... Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Would be interesting to see the rear part.
But nice item!

The optical block is certainly from L39 or Kiev/Contax mount version. So maybe DIY conversion to M42. Also I sometime saw "technical" Jupiter-9, that were made for various devices with strange mounts, with such look. Usualy for industrial purpose or medical I guess. Thoses Jupiter-9 were made from "normal" optical blocks, like this one. So, or it is a full conversion to M42 (from original Jupiter-9 rangefinder), or it's a M42 conversion from thoses "various device" Jupiter-9. I tend to think it's second variant, because I don't see the point to change all the rings in order to just convert it to M42, also the modification looks pro, not DIY...

Here is another type of "industrial" Jupiter-9 (later version) :

from http://kontur.narod.ru/fotomuseum/vosemdesatpat.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is back end.

I agree - it doesn't look like DIY, everything fits perfectly and focus and aperture are smooth and operational - to bad I don't have any background about lens... I have searched images of J-9 lenses and considering how everything fits I would guess it is not one-off modification but nothing similar turned up...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only sure thing is that the optical block and the body are not from same year (in 1955 wasn't M42 in USSR, and the first M42 came at the end of sixties). The mount seem genuine to the modifications. Also DIY can be very well done with pro tools.
If it was industrial purpose lens, there would be dented rings (like that, machine can controle rings), but on your exemplar, rings looks quite normal. Since the modification bring nothing more (apparently) than M42 and different look, I would say that it's a talented guy who made DIY conversion because he had no money to buy M42 one, and he had pro machines and tools.
I cannot say more, sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the diamond knurling looks like the common knurling done by any machine shop, which would point to a home made job.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the info!

Well who ever did it, did a great job (except markings Very Happy )... I have one more J-9 in contax/kiev mount and I am considering converting it to m42 - hope it will turn out atleast close to this... Project for long winter nights Smile