Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strange interference, looks like a Bayer filter!?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Strange interference, looks like a Bayer filter!? Reply with quote

Here is the setup: Canon EOS 600D, lens Zuiko 50mm 1:3.5. On my desk I have an Intel SSD box which I use for focusing experiments because it has got a lot of high DPI print on all sides.

Tonight, when having the Intel box about 71 cm from the camera's "film plane" and f/5.6, I got some very strange interference when I was focusing on a grey dotted area. The interference is fully visible when I open the RAW file in Camera Raw (100%).
Does anybody have a good explanation for this strange behaviour?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the halftone screen dots of the printing. They are usually arranged in patterns. If the dots are about the same size as a pixel there will be 'moire pattern' interference. read this*, it does tend to concentrate on straight lines but dot patterns have this effect. I'm sure someone will be along to explain better than I.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil' answer is about as technical as you'll get. Here are ways to avoid this:

- Buy a Sigma camera with a Foveon sensor
- Buy an older non-Bayer DSLR
- Buy an K-3 which has no AA filter but vibrates the sensor to simulate AA filtration.
- Change your angle and see if that helps. It may not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or get a Fuji X cam. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take photos of boxes which are printed. Wink