Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Storing cameras long term
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Storing cameras long term Reply with quote

If you are not using a camera for a long time, what other recommendations that you have, other than removing the batteries? should you detach the camera lens from the body and put the cap on?
Thanks for info

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in low humidity less than 50% take off lens an use transparent body cap if you can.

Best place is closed cabinet with humidity control and allow enough light to get every day.

If you not keep above rules, dust and fungus make it will nasty under years.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transparent box - see the ones sold at canadian tire- with Silica Gel.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If left above ground just urinate on them like a wolverine so no one else
will want them, or if stored underground, bury them below frost line, (if in
a northern clime). Thanks, and have a nice day. Razz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought getting back to Stone Age Basics would be a refreshing view,
obviously I'm mistaken. I'll go stand in the corner now. Laughing

I think stored in a plastic bag with desiccants is very good. Submersing in a
vat of gelatin, well, big job next time you want to use the camera. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight Bill!
I had a good laugh.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell it to someone who will use it.
A method I wish I could use in practice not just theory Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ugly snag is that some lubricants and shutter rubber cloth will harden if they are not frequently exercised. Unless you freeze the camera near absolute zero or install a camera-actuating robot you'll have to fire the shutter a couple of times per month, or the cameras will inevitably degrade.

Sevo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I put all my lenses in their leather cases. I must be looking for trouble then? Some of them are inside a re-sealable plastic bags.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Gee, I put all my lenses in their leather cases. I must be looking for trouble then? Some of them are inside a re-sealable plastic bags.

Nice fungus collector if humidity is high enough Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of obvious points that are often overlooked when a camera gets put on a shelf (and then forgotten about):

1) Be sure to remove the film. Duh.
2) Make sure the shutter is not charged. This is more important in the case of mechanical shutters. Speeds can become affected if the shutter is left cocked for long periods of time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
stingOM wrote:

May be I am getting away with because I store them inside my heated office and I guess the humidity is ok in Ireland Confused

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Attila wrote:
stingOM wrote:

May be I am getting away with because I store them inside my heated office and I guess the humidity is ok in Ireland Confused

Summer time there is raining non-stop I believe humidity reach 70-80% , measure it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Summer time there is raining non-stop I believe humidity reach 70-80% , measure it!

It can be much worse here in Houston. Humidity close to 100%, and temps around 36-40C. Ugh! Of course because of this, most everyone has air-conditioning, so it ends up we have indoor humidity of about 50% year-round. Cool

But still, if I find a lens I'm interested in here, first thing I do is check it for fungus.