Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

still liking the Petri 7s
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: still liking the Petri 7s Reply with quote

These were taken yesterday and today using very expired and grainy
Fuji 800 film. Highly recommend Petri RFs, great lenses and they go for
very cheap on the 'bay:

3rd pic was converted in Silver Efex Pro

The 7s I have has the f2.8 lens, but there's a 7s model that has an f1.8.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A much overlooked brand I think.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I saw a few ones locally and I always passes it, looks good as than Canon QL 17 ! Great shoots!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis and Attila, thanks, this camera is a definite keeper. I thought I had a
pic of the camera, but don't. Will post a few tonight when I download them.
Another thing I like about it is it takes a standard 52mm metal hood that
doesn't get in the way of the RF.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find them, that it.
Petri RFs do not go often here on German EBAY.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the portrait shots Bill. As Carstens said before, cam is more rare here in Germany.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten and Rolf, thanks, these cameras are fairly plentiful over here
ranging in starting price of $2.99 up to a dreamy BIN of $59 which will
not happen. Laughing Average auction is something like this:

Click here to see on Ebay

Another from the roll, SEP conversion (left this expired film out of the
refrigerator for over a month which really 'helped' the grain. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good shots overall; that first one of the barbed wire is super.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also admire #1 the barbed wire.

I have a 7S with the Petri 45/1.8 Amber-C lens. IT does not see enough use, but it will, I promise! It will go on my next long trip, along with many rolls of grainy expired Fuji 800 film. Wink Maybe I'll take it over Carson Pass tomorrow.

When I research it, I find terms like "street-shooter's special" and "cult classic". I'll guess that's because 1) great optics, 2) small size, 3) great build, and 4) no batteries! It meters off solar cells! All those crazy little mini-lenses around the objective! Not so good for real low light then, not without a (powered) hand meter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul and RioRico, thanks!

RioRico, hope to see some examples from the f1.8 lens!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the barbed wire as well and the graininess of the photo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's wierd grain for Fuji 800asa, I'd check the scanner and also the appearance is similar to a film shot over sharpened.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo, thanks!

Excal, this is VERY expired film, was lucky to get anything. Expiration was
in the 90's somewhere according to a friend that gave it to me. Will try
rescanning some of these to see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Excal, this is VERY expired film, was lucky to get anything. Expiration was
in the 90's somewhere according to a friend that gave it to me. Will try
rescanning some of these to see what happens.

Ah...my only experience is expired colour neg film going back to about 1998 to 2000 and it's 100/160 asa kept at room temp, and only notice the small problem of colour shift which was easily corrected.

http://forum.mflenses.com/rb67-and-10-year-old-expired-film-t32856.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excal, I readily concede your results are more favorable than mine. Thanks
for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Excal, I readily concede your results are more favorable than mine. Thanks
for sharing.

...sorry to side track your thread, as I'm a closeted digital guy even before digital was invented in that I've never liked grain esp in my own shots Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excal, just curious, if you like strawberry jam, it's the seedless variety,
right? Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Excal, just curious, if you like strawberry jam, it's the seedless variety,
right? Laughing

Well I don't like whole strawberries in my jam Smile .....but the way I look at it is:- If I woke up in the morning and saw everything grainy I would go to the doctors immediately, and a monitor or Tv set would be rejected showing grain. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: I don't dip my Ricohs in strawberry jam. Reply with quote

Strange happenings. Many cameras. Three Petri 7s rangefinders. How?

Not too long ago, I bought on eBay some quality 1970's rangefinders for a low price, including a Petri 7s with 45/1.8 lens. Average US$8 each.

I have just now returned from a funeral, driving ~1000 miles / ~1600 km. I visited family in that area. A stepsister gave me a bagfull of my father's cameras, that she'd held 15 years since he died. Included was a Petri 7s with 45/2.8 lens.

Two parcels of eBay winnings awaited me at the local Post Office. One box contained a number of cameras, including a Petri 7s with 45/2.8 lens.

Not too long ago, I had never heard of the Petri 7s. Now I have three of them, one being a part of my family heritage. I am laden with treasure!

I *might* be able to post pictures of these soon. Because of a blizzard, I am now stuck with in-laws for an unknown time, with only an ancient VAIO mini-notebook to connect to the world. Maybe I can go home within a week; maybe not. Until then, I can but fondle the cameras. Oh baby...

Dad's cameras: Petri 7s; Universal Mercury II; Kodak Signet 35 with 44/3.5; Kodak Brownie 8mm movie camera; Kodak Brownie Starlet with flash and bulbs.

eBay cameras: Petri 7s; Voigtlander Bessamatic with Color-Skopar 50/2.8; Kodak Brownie 620 Box; Pentax MV-1 with SMC-M50/2. And 2 other lenses. Average US$5 each.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
I'm a closeted digital guy even before digital was invented in that I've never liked grain esp in my own shots Laughing

What, no grain? What a wuss! As Henri Cartier-Bresson said, "Sharpness is a bourgeois conceit". Grain shows that you are truly SERIOUS, that you value CONTENT over PRETTINESS. Some of the most significant photos in history are grainy blurry blobs that yet convey their messages. Thus, YOU TOO can be an IMPORTANT PHOTOGRAPHER if you only embrace grain, and noise, and blur, and aberrations.

Example: My most-used camera is a 5mpx Sony DSC-V1 'NightShot' P&S with 4x Zeiss optics. 'NightShot' means it pulls away the IR-blocking hot.filter to give an effective speed of ISO 2500, with cotton-piercing sniperscope-like effects. A bit of PP will show the colors as pastels. Noise and grain are up the yazoo, but the shots look DRAMATIC. And I print some of those shots on textured hemp paper, which gives them a very tactile sense. Very artistic. And I can sell them. That's the important part: they sell. People buy drama.

How to exploit graininess: Print on matte or textured paper, not glossy. Pro B&W is often printed on matte paper. Mount under non-glare acrylic, not clear glass. Make sure the image includes naked people and/or weapons and/or speeding vehicles and/or dead animals. All this emphasizes drama. If you want prettiness, like for calendar photos, do just the opposite. Except that naked pretty people are OK.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
I'm a closeted digital guy even before digital was invented in that I've never liked grain esp in my own shots Laughing

What, no grain? What a wuss! As Henri Cartier-Bresson said, "Sharpness is a bourgeois conceit". Grain shows that you are truly SERIOUS, that you value CONTENT over PRETTINESS. Some of the most significant photos in history are grainy blurry blobs that yet convey their messages. Thus, YOU TOO can be an IMPORTANT PHOTOGRAPHER if you only embrace grain, and noise, and blur, and aberrations.

Example: My most-used camera is a 5mpx Sony DSC-V1 'NightShot' P&S with 4x Zeiss optics. 'NightShot' means it pulls away the IR-blocking hot.filter to give an effective speed of ISO 2500, with cotton-piercing sniperscope-like effects. A bit of PP will show the colors as pastels. Noise and grain are up the yazoo, but the shots look DRAMATIC. And I print some of those shots on textured hemp paper, which gives them a very tactile sense. Very artistic. And I can sell them. That's the important part: they sell. People buy drama.

How to exploit graininess: Print on matte or textured paper, not glossy. Pro B&W is often printed on matte paper. Mount under non-glare acrylic, not clear glass. Make sure the image includes naked people and/or weapons and/or speeding vehicles and/or dead animals. All this emphasizes drama. If you want prettiness, like for calendar photos, do just the opposite. Except that naked pretty people are OK.

.....well I have a thing about verticals and horizontals too Laughing Probably because I spent my youth as an apprentice in engineering.

But I remember those great B/W photos of Holywood stars and they didn't pussyfoot around with 35mm cameras to help get grain:-

http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=27875&pst=1442536

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico, I have the Sony DSC-V1, too, nice to see another fan for the
camera! Looking forward to seeing some of your work with the Petri 7s!

The pix I posted here were scanned by Walgreens and there was an irregularity
in the sprocket holes where the lady had to manually scan
each frame, they are all over-sharpened and I've yet to re-scan. They
would still have grain, maybe not as pronounced.

Excal, thanks again for sharing your bias/preferences.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
A much overlooked brand I think.

I have three of these lenses. But I can't figure out what kind of mount they take. Can you help me?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
I have three of these lenses. But I can't figure out what kind of mount they take. Can you help me?

If you have Petri bayonet-mount lenses, they are suitable for Petri bayonet-mount cameras and no others, unless you build or adapt an adapter for shorter-register cameras. The Petri register (flange focal distance) is 45.5mm, same as Contax/Yashica, but the mount is different. If you don't have or intend to own a Petri bayonet SLR, those lenses are probably best suited for a NEX or NX or m4/3 camera.

A bayonet Petri CC 55/1.8 was about the first lens I chopped to fit on another camera. Its aperture was stuck wide-open and it cost me nothing, so I took a risk. I removed the bayonet mount and glued on a cheap Bower-type M42-PK adapter. It worked fine, although wide-open only. Then I got the same lens in M42 mount, and sold my modified copy for US$12!

Ah, but back to the 7s rangefinder. I now have one up for sale on eBay at [ http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-PETRI-7s-35mm-film-rangefinder-45-2-8-photo-eye-/110664553858 ] and the bidding has risen from 99 cents to US$1.25! I am shocked! Petri had the reputation of making equipment to Nikon quality, for half the price. Such a deal!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting an oldish thread here, but there's a Petri 7s in a local junk shop for £16-50 (UKP)
It looks mint with a leather case, but I think the wind on mechanism has jammed. When I looked at it today I wasn't sure if it needed a battery so I I didn't 'play' with it that much, but from what I've read on the internet this petri does seem to have a reputation for being a bit fragile ?

I also see they come with two lenses, 1.8 and 2.8, and I can't remember which it had.

It's a very nice camera that I'd pay the asking price for if it worked, and maybe I'd pay that price if it it's easily repairable ?

So what I need to know is, are they worth fixing, and how do I fix it. Or do I pass it by ?