Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sticky Grip
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Sticky Grip Reply with quote

Yesterday, I took out a camera from my drybox and discover is now producing sticky stuff. I try cleaning with a wet cloth and to my horror part of the grip broke. Any way to rescue the grip? Also, any idea how the sticky stuff came about and how to prevent it to happen from our camera?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the camera a Canon by any chance? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta ?

I have seen some so bad they stick to your hand. I have no idea if there is anything that can save them, it must be a fault in the way the plastic was manufactured.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one mentioned above is a Minolta but both of you are correct my Canon is also starting to show sign of stickiness on the grip. Worst is both are supposed to be top end professional film cameras.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a Canon EOS5. The grip got so bad my hand stuck to it! I tried all sorts of cleaners but in the end I covered it with black adhesive electricians tape.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a problem of different people having different sweat ?

When I got a bunch of Minolta AF lenses I hadn't got a camera, so at the next camera fair I looked for, and bought a 50001, 7000 & 7000i - all with perfect grips, but I saw a lot with sticky and broken grips. It seems to affect some and not others Question

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hands sweat quite easily and have never noticed any issues on cameras. My cars' steering wheels and gear knobs suffer though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same with a sigma lens. Nothing would clean the sticky off. I think its decomposing acrylic. Something we think takes thousands of years. The material felt like that stuff that covered the Contax RTS. Porsche design, Zeiss optics, Poundland leather.

Last edited by philslizzy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A camera technician told me once that a few times he received lenses where the owner's skin PH was so acidic that, when
the lens was touched and not cleaned, the fingers' grease etched the lens coating.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
This might be a problem of different people having different sweat ?

When I got a bunch of Minolta AF lenses I hadn't got a camera, so at the next camera fair I looked for, and bought a 50001, 7000 & 7000i - all with perfect grips, but I saw a lot with sticky and broken grips. It seems to affect some and not others Question

+1 as Orio answered already, yes. 'Normal' sweat pH is slightly acidic. Sweat pH changes depending on diet. Some people, such as those who eat red meats regularly, may have very acidic sweat. Vegetarian sweat is much less acidic.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
A camera technician told me once that a few times he received lenses where the owner's skin PH was so acidic that, when
the lens was touched and not cleaned, the fingers' grease etched the lens coating.

When I worked in a camera shop I remember seeing a camera with a clear fingerprint on the lens and it would not clean off no matter what we did with it. The repairman said it would have to be re-coated. I think the customer threw it away.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Orio wrote:

When I worked in a camera shop I remember seeing a camera with a clear fingerprint on the lens and it would not clean off no matter what we did with it. The repairman said it would have to be re-coated. I think the customer threw it away.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sigma 50/2.8 Macro which is doing the same. It is leaving black marks in my bag and everywhere, not nice. Can these grips be replaced? Has anyone used alternative materials?