Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Step up rings - I cant find one
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Step up rings - I cant find one Reply with quote

I have a number of filters and close up lenses for my small camera and lens collection. I have 40.5mm and 52mm, with stepping rings.

I've recently purchased a nice Seagull 4A TLR, it has a 34mm filter size (according to camerapedia). It would make sense to use my 40.5mm filters as I shoot mainly black and white with this camera.

I cant find a 40.5mm to 34mm step ring anywhere, I can find one for 52mm but the filters will cover my speeds and apertures.

Can anyone help me find a stepping ring. Searching on ebay finds everything but.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160322-REG/Heliopan_700283_34mm_40_5mm_Step_Up.html

Alternatively, you can use 34-37mm plus 37-40.5mm rings, they both are quite plenty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160322-REG/Heliopan_700283_34mm_40_5mm_Step_Up.html

Alternatively, you can use 34-37mm plus 37-40.5mm rings, they both are quite plenty

The B&H is the only one I saw. At $30 including postage to UK and possibly with import duty and collection fee from Royal Mail it will cost Too much. I've bought things from the US and Aus before, the Tax and collection fee is eyewatering. For a $20 (£16) item there is 20% tax £3.20 plus £8 collection fee making it cost £27.20 ($34.06) plus $10.50 postage.

I was looking at the possibility of the 2 step rings. I have a nice collection of 50's proxar lenses and zeiss and voigtlander coloured filters in 40.5 it would be a shame not to use them. But the rings are quite expensive compared to others. Then I realised why, 34mm is the same thread as some Leitz lenses, this is why there is a premium on them.

Looking at making one, I took the glass out of an old Chinese 40.5 filter and discovered that it slips right over the Seagull's lens and grips tightly. Problem solved. Laugh 1