Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Tele-Quinar 4.5 200mm - Glass removal
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Steinheil Tele-Quinar 4.5 200mm - Glass removal Reply with quote

Hi folks. I'm looking to remove the 2nd group in order to have a look at the fogging on the diaphragm side, but I'm not getting any clues as to how to remove it. Neither is there much on the internet. The first group simply popped out after removal of the beauty ring, but the second group appears to be held in place by a thin smooth metal ring with no notches for a spanner (indicated with arrow). I cannot see if it is push-fit, screw-fit, or neither and I need to look elsewhere for access.

If you've had experience with this lens, any help would be much appreciated.

Ian.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

"Shy boys get no cake", as they say. Or at least my mother used to say.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, sorry...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was cleaning a lens recently and had the same problem. I tried tapping the front of the lens squarely down onto the table with a thin sheet of silicone on it to catch the glass as it fell out and save the front of the lens, and that worked just fine - a sharp tap and the retaining ring and the glass fell out, but it has to be judged carefully - I've had an element break when I dropped from about 300mm onto the plastic lid of a storage box.

The other alternative, which I've done and is probably safer, is to remove the rear elements and gently push the tight element with your finger or a pencil with a rubber eraser on the end - through the wide open aperture.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often it is easy to access from behind... take off the back group, open the diaphragm and clean it from there, without dismantling the glass. It could be a possibility... I have done that w¡th other lenses and it worked.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zamo wrote:
Often it is easy to access from behind... take off the back group, open the diaphragm and clean it from there, without dismantling the glass. It could be a possibility... I have done that w¡th other lenses and it worked.

Thanks Zamo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I was cleaning a lens recently and had the same problem. I tried tapping the front of the lens squarely down onto the table with a thin sheet of silicone on it to catch the glass as it fell out and save the front of the lens, and that worked just fine - a sharp tap and the retaining ring and the glass fell out, but it has to be judged carefully - I've had an element break when I dropped from about 300mm onto the plastic lid of a storage box.

The other alternative, which I've done and is probably safer, is to remove the rear elements and gently push the tight element with your finger or a pencil with a rubber eraser on the end - through the wide open aperture.

I think I'll have to try shocking it out as you suggest. I'm going to have to stuff something up there so the retaining ring and element don't bounce into each other. I really just need to move the ring enough to get a dental pick behind it, if it is not screw in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember there is a suction rubber small tool in japan , I used to see em before on ebay,it's got like a pencil with a bulb and on the other end there is the suction vent, if it could be called this way. They should work very good.

You could make yourself such a tool with a pipette dropper and a suction rubber on the extreme end (might need to make a hole inside the rubber suction vent)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I remember there is a suction rubber small tool in japan , I used to see em before on ebay,it's got like a pencil with a bulb and on the other end there is the suction vent, if it could be called this way. They should work very good.

You could make yourself such a tool with a pipette dropper and a suction rubber on the extreme end (might need to make a hole inside the rubber suction vent)

This is why you ask on here. A suction cup! A cunning plan is forming in my mind. Thanks kiddo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy different size of suction cups and dust blower big size or medium connected to a pencil tube, there got to be cheap suction cups on stores

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Buy different size of suction cups and dust blower big size or medium connected to a pencil tube, there got to be cheap suction cups on stores

Yep, I have everything I need except a suction cup. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before, you might need to remove the metal washer (I understand the thickness of the washer is to mantain the right distance between the lenses/groups); you might try to use a plastic tools that is been used on removing screens on mobiles ,even though any tile of hard plastic might work, but the edge needs to be thinner . If you don't remove that washer ,the lens might brake if you are using to much pressure on the suction cup.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Before, you might need to remove the metal washer (I understand the thickness of the washer is to mantain the right distance between the lenses/groups); you might try to use a plastic tools that is been used on removing screens on mobiles ,even though any tile of hard plastic might work, but the edge needs to be thinner . If you don't remove that washer ,the lens might brake if you are using to much pressure on the suction cup.

Point taken. I was hoping, with the help of a little WD40 around the retaining ring/washer and wiggling the element via the suction cup, to produce a gap behind the retaining ring/washer enough for a dental pick to get in behind and lever it out. When I've got all the bits together, I'll produce a plan of attack.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use wd-40 ,not till trying all other options

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I wouldn't use wd-40 ,not till trying all other options

I have light watch oil I could use to ease the passage of the ring. It's just that I've never had a problem with WD40. But now that I've said it, I would no doubt be tempting providence in using it.