Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Munchen Culmigon 35mm F4.5 Chrome
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Steinheil Munchen Culmigon 35mm F4.5 Chrome Reply with quote

One of the budget wide angle for SLR made by Steinheil. Its listing price is much cheaper than it bigger brother Quinaron (39,5 vs 149,5 in US, 1960). Minimum focus is about 1.6 feet(4 inch for Quinaron). It has rather small aperture ring on the front. I attached a 40.5mm vented hood to to control the aperture.

I cannot find its optical scheme on the internet. It should be Triplet based retrofocus from the eight reflections I count.

This lens is sharp from wide open even at the corner at my NEX 5N. Bokeh seems not bad but I do not care much about it. I will use my Quinaron for close ups.

Some walk around photos with basic adjustment in LR5 (tone curve set to Medium Contrast in all photos).

#3 (split toning on highlights)

Last edited by calvin83 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it is the same scheme as the Primagon and Lithagon 4.5/35, the only meaningful difference seems to be the placement of the aperture in these four element designs. The results look nice I seem to recall the later 3.5/35 culmigon being somewhat mediocre.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out very well Calvin!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it is the same scheme as the Primagon and Lithagon 4.5/35, the only meaningful difference seems to be the placement of the aperture in these four element designs. The results look nice I seem to recall the later 3.5/35 culmigon being somewhat mediocre.

Should be also similar to Schneider Radiogon too.

I found the early Chrome Steinheil lenses are generally better the later Zebra lens in terms of PQ and build quality. It reflects on the current price. The later lens do have better coating and flare resistance.

kds315* wrote:
Turned out very well Calvin!

Thanks Klaus!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me miss HK

Especially Friday night market shopping

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old mint condition silver culmigon with original m42 bubble case. It renders very "artfully" blurred backgrounds as well as very sharp detail. the large 4.5 minimum aperture can be a limiting factor, but it renders very smooth and attractive out of focus areas. Mine is quite old and uncoated, it is prone to flare and shine issues, though not bad, depending on conditions. A polarizer would solve this if it was a problem. It tends toward lower contrast, but that can be nice once and a while, and easily bumped up in post if wanted, I like the look. [/url]

Last edited by aerogami on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-uploaded the photos. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Steinheil Munchen Culmigon 35mm F4.5 Chrome Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

I cannot find its optical scheme on the internet. It should be Triplet based retrofocus from the eight reflections I count.

You're right:

S

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Steinheil Munchen Culmigon 35mm F4.5 Chrome Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

You're right:

S

Like 1 Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice and lively rendering! Other samples are equally good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

may as well drop a few of my own, while we're talking about it Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
alex ph wrote:

may as well drop a few of my own, while we're talking about it Laugh 1

Like 1 Friends

I don't own this lens any more. Good to see more and more ppl use it.