Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Culmigon 4.5/35 trade for Edixa lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Steinheil Culmigon 4.5/35 trade for Edixa lens Reply with quote

I have an Aluminum barrel Steinheil Culmigon 4.5/35 in exakta mount. Clean, fungus free, good mechanically. Some oil on the aperture blades and what looks like very light buff marks on the front element (or possibly a very light haze). I took a few test shots on slide film and the results were sharp, so I doubt this will have any effect on the image except in contrasty situations.

What I need is an M42 Edixa lens. One that has EDIXA engraved on the front - it needs to work with the Edixa SLR's finicky aperture plunger so I am only looking for actual Edixa lenses. The brand is open to whatever you have, it just needs to be an Edixa lens. About the only one I won't consider for trade is the plastic barrel Iscotar (its just not worth as much as the Steinheil, nor is it a great performer).

I will be back with pics of the lens, and I will try and copy the test shots from the slides too, or hand hold the lens in front of the DSLR.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be coating aging commonly found on alu Steinheil lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin,

Could you tell me a little more about the coating aging on the Steinheil lenses? I have an otherwise very nice Quinon 35mm with what looks like spots in the coating. Trying to find out if there might be a simple way repair.

P.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Calvin,

Could you tell me a little more about the coating aging on the Steinheil lenses? I have an otherwise very nice Quinon 35mm with what looks like spots in the coating. Trying to find out if there might be a simple way repair.

P.

Paul,

You can do nothing but forget about these spots on your Quinaron 35mm. They should not have any visible impact on your photos.

Cal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Calvin. I wouldn't expect much effect picturewise either - as a matter of fact I have some nice samples, it is just otherwise such a nice lens, cosmetically. I was wondering if there was a way to clean it up! I don't want to hijack this post - so I'll start a new thread in the main forum and post a pic.

I apologize to the OP, I did check the 2 or 3 Edixa bodies I have, but none have an Edixa marked lens.

All the best,

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos ,did you ever find a lens?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Mos,

After a little more searching, I actually found an Edixa marked lens this morning.
Mechanically the lens is fine. The focus is on the loose side, but not excdessively. The aperture works fine and the blades are clean. The
A/M switch works as it should and the auto-stop-down lever action is snappy.

Cosmetically it is somewhere between EX and EX+ - has some marks on the finish, but they aren't too bad - somewhere around 88% of new.

Optically, I don't see any fungus or haze, but there are some coating marks and dust.

Here are some pics of the lens. If you are interested, let me know and I will make some shots on the NEX A7 full frame for you.

All the best,

Paul