Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Squeaky aluminum filter threads?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-Y Jelly? Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
K-Y Jelly? Laughing

It was just a question of time. I thought better of you though Peter!
Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm not sure where to find it, I have seen and used some sort
of 'dry' silicone lubricant in the past. The idea is that it does not use
any sort of liquid or solvents to carry it, so there's no residue to
collect dust and the like. I seem to recall that it's rather expensive,
but a tiny bit goes a long way.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plumbers tape ( PTFE ) will shred into tiny bits when unscrewed, it's a 'once only' thing to make a screwed joint watertight, although being PTFE it does have lubricating properties.
I've done 31 years as a maintenance fitter in the water industry and use the stuff every day, and I wouldn't entertain using it on a lens adaptor thread.

It seals the thread by forcing itself between the male and female thread, and when it does that it makes the thread tight - it puts a force on the female thread that will expand a small component.

For lubricating two aluminium threads ( that's aluminum for the Americans Wink ) I would use a VERY small amount of graphite powder, of the kind that is used for lock lubricant, and after I had 'worked' the thread a few times I would wipe both components off thoroughly and just leave a trace of graphite in the base of the thread.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Plumbers tape ( PTFE ) will shred into tiny bits when unscrewed, it's a 'once only' thing to make a screwed joint watertight, although being PTFE it does have lubricating properties.
I've done 31 years as a maintenance fitter in the water industry and use the stuff every day, and I wouldn't entertain using it on a lens adaptor thread.

Thanks for your expertize! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
peterqd wrote:
K-Y Jelly? Laughing

It was just a question of time. I thought better of you though Peter!
Laughing

Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tried the plumbers tape last night, and have two things to report:
1) It did in fact work! Very Happy
2) It came apart, just as we had thought it would. Sad

I wrapped the tape around the lens cap threads twice, and then threaded it onto the lens. While it was on, I tore off the portion of the tape that hung out between the two parts, and then I removed the lens cap and removed the portion hanging over that side of the threads. The inner part came off easily, as the last thread of the lens cap had "cut" the tape. This left me with just a thin strip of the tape covering only the threads of the lens cap.

It seemed to be holding together, so I gave it a durability test. I was able to put the lens cap on and take it back off a total of 5 times before the tape loosened up and came off the threads. There was not a single squeak to be heard. Very Happy

So yeah, it "works", but it isn't quite practical for regular repeated use. It *might* make a good *temporary* solution though. For example, if I was going out to a field with wildlife, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to put this tape on right before the outing, as it would at least hold up for a few cycles. It also removed easily & completely, so it is a nice no-risk option. Cool

I will keep investigating the alternatives posted here...

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has reminded of the substance I use on my bicycle chain -- a Teflon-based liquid lubricant that dries and does not become powdery. My bottle is "Finish Line" brand, "High Tech Dry Formula -- Teflon and Trilinium" Bought many years ago my 2oz. bottle is still over half full; doesn't take much!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
This has reminded of the substance I use on my bicycle chain -- a Teflon-based liquid lubricant that dries and does not become powdery. My bottle is "Finish Line" brand, "High Tech Dry Formula -- Teflon and Trilinium" Bought many years ago my 2oz. bottle is still over half full; doesn't take much!

You can also find it at the hardware store called Dry Lube.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I worry just a bit though about some of the more exotic lubricants... especially the ones that are designed to be penetrating as well. If they do what they're advertised to do, you end up with a slippery film over everything that doesn't come off. Shocked Not quite what I want on a lens. Wink

I haven't had a chance to test anything else yet, but I will probably work my way down the list in order of least to most risky. I think I would even prefer an inconvenient option over a convenient one, if it had less possibility of complications. Cool

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vote for PTFE spray: several layers, prepared at home onto the male thread of filter etc, so you do not risk to pollute your lens.

you find interesting information about highgrade lubrification on this page

http://www.ballistol-shop.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=234&XTCsid=bede2758207c2fa4bed54b026b4ea9e8

Thomas

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A carpenter's pencil, cut away to expose the graphite, and scrape the threads with that. Cheap and simple.