Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spring with Jupiter-9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Spring with Jupiter-9 Reply with quote

This is a black no-MC Jupier-9 produced in 1992. Put on Sony NEX-5N.

Wide open it gives a soft picture, that is classical and very apt for dreamy portraits and landscapes. The peculiarity of the lens is that sometimes I miss focus even at f4. At times x4.5 and even x9 magnification in the liveview is necessary. But when I get focus, the great recognizable watercolour bokeh and the the 3D-effect get really visible.

#1 - wide open or f2.8

#2 - a street dancer and her audience at f5.6

#3 - wide open, focused on the wolf's head attached to the fountain bowl

#4 - at f5.6 the lens shows itself like many other lenses when the subject is plate and square

#5 - f5.6, the spring lights the fire

#6 - watercolour bokeh and OOF circles at around f2.8

#7 - straight lines, sunny colours and mild shadows at f5.6

For all images colours and contrast are corrected in various degrees.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos and nice place! Where is it? Those wall and this architecture recall me Odessa.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results from and wonderful lens
OH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Kind of White balance did you use to reduce the yellowish casa of the J9?
Did you fix it at the camera? Pp?
Very nice pics. They show the very good IQ of the lens.
Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, folks! Glad you liked the images.

Papasito, the WB was set by the in-camera Auto. Frankly, I did not find any special cast with my copy of the lens. What camera do you use? May the yellow cast be more the case of the old (white) J-9? Neither I used PP, just some quick contrast, saturation and/or gamma tweaks in IrfanView. To be more precise, in #6 and, I think, in #4 only contrast is forced.

Pierre, I was glad you made a guess about the city! If you allow, I keep the intrigue a bit longer. I wish someone says: I know the city, it is... Or someone else wishes to guess. Please, do not hesitate to give your versions and hints!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
I wish someone says: I know the city, it is... Or someone else wishes to guess. Please, do not hesitate to give your versions and hints!

To guess the city is certainly very difficult. However, I am rather sure that it is somewhere in Italy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrat. very nice photos! This is definitely Rome.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, not easy to play with you! You are too quick. Yes, it is Italy and yes, it is Rome.

Still, I'd say there is something in common with Odessa in that angle of view, even if the latter's architecture was more inspired with France than with Italy, right?

Here are two other shots from Rome, with Jupiter-9:

#1 - at f4, this special roman intimacy when people park their cars in that way and see no problem!

#2 - at around f2, Odessa-like stairs with a huge old-style graffiti on it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the rendering off-center wide open and relative sharpness in the center. Good images of a sunny place with slightly different architecture than I'm used to.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another under-the-sun shot with front (and not background) OOF rendering:

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots ! IMHO yellow cast is a kind of 'signature' of Jupiter lens. I own only two Jupe, both produce yellow cast like yours.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos. Thank you for sharing this lens.