Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spring with Jupiter 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Spring with Jupiter 8 Reply with quote

Haha, sorry for mimicking the title of another thread here if it offends, I thought it suited : )

Jupiter 8 (1956, has been relubed and actually polished) + close focus adapter on a Sony A7.

I used to think fast lenses could produce enough bokeh on Sony's APS-C sensors, and usually they can, but there's a different feel to full frame. As if a quicker transition to oof areas, not entirely sure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring with Jupiter 8 Reply with quote

Spokklocka wrote:
Haha, sorry for mimicking the title of another thread here if it offends, I thought it suited : )

[pics]

Jupiter 8 (1956, has been relubed and actually polished) + close focus adapter on a Sony A7.

I used to think fast lenses could produce enough bokeh on Sony's APS-C sensors, and usually they can, but there's a different feel to full frame. As if a quicker transition to oof areas, not entirely sure.

Smile

Actually, the DOF is thinner for larger FF size than for smaller APS-C size sensor.

ref: (Thanks Poilu!) Depth of Field and Bokeh, H H Naste, Zeiss, 2010, DOF comparison chart on page 10.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Spring with Jupiter 8 Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Actually, the DOF is thinner for larger FF size than for smaller APS-C size sensor.

ref: (Thanks Poilu!) Depth of Field and Bokeh, H H Naste, Zeiss, 2010, DOF comparison chart on page 10.

Yeah, I'm aware, just wasn't sure precisely what it would mean for the images. Thanks for the link though, that's some solid reading Smile

I suppose these ones weren't the most exciting, or sharp? The J8 isn't sharp(with the close focus adapter) unless you stop it down a bit and I clearly overdid on the bokeh here, haha. I like it though and this adapter makes the J8 a lot more flexible.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This spring the Russian lenses festival is running! Look at some other topics of the last two weeks.

I find very interesting the visual balance between the focus and OOF zones, at the shooting distance you chose. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great compositions Like Dog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I tried a later Jup, from the 70s, does not look right a against the silver adapter at all but I do prefer them without the focus tab.
The clickless aperture is great; these are between f/2,8 and f/4. Some wb-challenged Anemone hepatica:

f/2,8:

~f/3,5:

f/2 without close focusing:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J8 is a delight, a lovely lens in every way. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I love how the J-8 paints an image and you make excellent use of its capabilities.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1