Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spring clean my body
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Spring clean my body Reply with quote

Shocked

I would like to give my OM1n a spring clean (the outside of the body) and I'm wondering what is the best thing to use...?

Obviously, I am well aware of the danger of liquid entering the workings via the film wind lever and rewind lever etc.

Thanks for any advice Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OM and welcome. I don't think you can clean off the grime properly without some kind of liquid. I use a cotton wool bud and lighter fuel, which dissolves the grease and it evaporates quickly. For the tightest corners I use a very small brush, like a toothbrush but smaller.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Peter.

I have a tin of Ronsonol lighter fluid - is that the stuff...?

I want to be sure so I don't damage the finish or any of the plastic bits like the viewfinder surround.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Spring clean my body Reply with quote

OM wrote:
Shocked

I would like to give my OM1n a spring clean (the outside of the body) and I'm wondering what is the best thing to use...?

Obviously, I am well aware of the danger of liquid entering the workings via the film wind lever and rewind lever etc.

Thanks for any advice Smile

For the outside I use silicon polish......the one in a spray can, of course you don't spray the camera but the cloth then use it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM wrote:
I have a tin of Ronsonol lighter fluid - is that the stuff...?

Yep, I have a tin of "Swan" lighter fluid.

You only need a small amount on the end of the Q-tip and keep changing the stick. If you try it on a piece of glass you'll see that a dirty tip leaves a residue film and to get it perfectly clean you need to make repeated passes using clean tips each time.

I've never found it causes any damage to plastic parts but it depends on the chemical composition I suppose. Try it on a small inconspicuous area if you have any doubt. It certainly affects the mirror bumper and light sealing foam round the door edges, so keep it away from these areas.

PS Don't use this method on lenses, mirrors or focussing screens!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe I would ever have told a customer but...erm...

Saliva on a toothbrush. Safe on just about any surface, it's commonly used by restorers in museums. The preferred method in fact. Honest.

Spit on the toothbrush, not the camera. Not too much!

Buff up with microfibre cloth, cut Q-tip sticks to shape to push the cloth into those awkward corners.

So next time your camera comes back from the repairer looking pristine...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemack wrote:
I don't believe I would ever have told a customer but...erm...

Saliva on a toothbrush. Safe on just about any surface, it's commonly used by restorers in museums. The preferred method in fact. Honest.

Spit on the toothbrush, not the camera. Not too much!

Buff up with microfibre cloth, cut Q-tip sticks to shape to push the cloth into those awkward corners.

So next time your camera comes back from the repairer looking pristine...

..and a good hot vindaloo helps before spitting on the brush...... Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saliva - I've heard that can be effective for lenses too though I wouldn't try it on a Zeiss or Leica Shocked

It's all to do with enzymes which help to break down the gunge allowing it to be wiped away.

I will try the lighter fluid/Q-tip idea and report back.

Thanks for the suggestions Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just getting round to making a start - been under pressure with work but hey, the weather's rubbish anyway Smile

One more quick check - is it OK to use lighter fluid on the film guides and pressure plate...?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with lighter fluid on camera mirrors or lens glass?

I would never use Swan lighter fluid on anything as it is not recommended for use in lighters.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Ronsonol lighter fluid - please tell me it is suitable...?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM wrote:
I have Ronsonol lighter fluid - please tell me it is suitable...?

That's what I have as well and use it on my lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a myth, but Swan lighter fluid is supposed to destry lighters over a time. A tobacconist store has also told me this tale so I won't use it. I usually use Zippo fluid (as that's what they stock).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an optic cleaning cloth, swabs and sensor cleaning fluid. Dissolves grease and dirt and evaporates without leaving traces.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vilhelm

Any particular sensor cleaning fluid...?

I thought that lighter fluid evaporates too...?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighter fluid evaporates yes, but at least the Zippo and Ronsonol brands I have in my shelf leave leave a greasy surface. Perhaps it does not matter.

Since you are cleaning the external of the camera, I doubt it differs what sensor cleaning fluid you are using. I used the cheapest I could find, saving the more expensive E2 for cleaning the low pass filter of the sensor. Sensor cleaning fluid evaporates real fast.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Vilhelm. Lighter fluid is fine for cleaning grubby metal and leatherette surfaces but it does leave an oily film on glass. For mirrors and focussing screens I use Eclipse lens fluid which you can buy on Ebay. There are two types - one for glass and one for sensors. I cut a small strip of PecPad microfibre cloth about 1cm wide, roll it up and fold in half, and hold it with tweezers. With one drop of fluid on it I can keep re-rolling and folding to use a clean part each time. How's that for meanness? It's a great way to clean Pentax focussing screens, including foam smears.

Martin, I've never once used Swan lighter fluid in a lighter! Smile My main use for it is cleaning sticky masking tape and photo-mount spray off my drawing board. It says on the tin it's a "Petrol Distillate, NOS" and "Extra refined, use in all lighter brands, cleaner burning, non-toxic. For spot cleaning grease marks on paper and cloth, removing sticky labels, removing tar spots etc. Test on a hidden area first." What's more, it's made here in High Wycombe! Smile