Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spot metered, Fuji Pro 400H
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Spot metered, Fuji Pro 400H Reply with quote

This was shot to try to hold maximum detail using a one-degree spot meter and aiming to keep the minaret just inside the tonal range (is that the right term?).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, Paul. Perfect exposure. You retained the texture on the dark ceiling without giving up the minaret. I would correct the slight blue cast in the shadowed area but apart that I like very much the composition and the overall rendition. Regarding your question I'd call it "contrast" range, but without any doubt you got the concept.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty good to me!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, this is one of your best! What camera?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya C220.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is NICE! A "coffee table book" image for sure. What a fantastic
job of holding the exposure. Wow!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuji Pro seems seriously good film no matter ISO , very well done. I have 10 or some rolls from this film haven't tried yet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done , Paul !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to come back for another look, you surely need to post this to the
Mamiyaflex group on flickr to counterbalance the crap I've posted there.

The one thing missing is the muezzin in the minaret, but you can't have
everything...of course I'm kidding! Laughing

You will want to shell out some money for the print and frame. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be lucky to see anybody at the top of the minaret... they have a microphone somewhere in the building wired up to loudspeakers. The days of shouting from the top are long gone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call it EV range, and an Ansel Adams disciple would call it the Zonal range I suppose. Whatever you want to call it, I'd have to say you nailed it. That's the sort of scene you bracket and hope one of the shots is close Cool

Fortunately 400H is negative film, which has enough latitude to handle this sort of scene. Trying to catch it with slide film probably would have been tough.