Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sports contest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Sports contest Reply with quote

Bring your best sports images -- pro, university, amateur, kids -- football, running, skiing, foosball, curling, bicycling, whatever. The usual rules: Please state the name of the lens used, along with the camera and the exposure details. Have at it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get this started. Nikkor 35-200mm f3.5 AIS, f8, 1/1600, Nikon D600.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Where were you standing to capture that?

Here's my efforts taken a few years ago with my favorite lens for taking rugby shots with, The Tamron 103A /Pentax K200D .I really like this lens as it's fast too focus and light.
#1 The scrum

#2 Clearing the ball out from a ruck

#3 JUMP!

#4 Line out

#5 Try time or a penalty right on the line

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks like a great way to get hurt! For that shot I was about 200 feet down the slope from where he landed. I was kicking myself because I had been nearly under the landing zone and could have gotten a fantastic shot of him coming off the cornice but didn't see him and his friends up there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you were in the right place,as for being under him that may have presented a different problem. Very Happy

I do hope more people participate in this "contest",Taking sports photos was the main reason I got back into photography.I found the poor old P&S camera did not have enough reach.Film became to hard to get developed and expensive to learn sports photography on...so here I am with digital and MF lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head of the Charles, a rowing event held every October in Boston between all the big schools participating in this sport.

The camera is the Canon 5D MKII, Glass is the Voigtlander Lanther 3.5/90 at f-4 and speeds were not that high between 160-360 due to forground shadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done Bruce,shooting into harsh shadows does not help and you captured a lovely texture on the water . Do you have any NFL shots at all?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without question you got a good eye mo!
My camera is on spot meter so my subjects have the best chance to be in proper exposure
unfortunately my background, which happens to be in full sun, gets blown out a bit,
even shooting in raw I cant do too much more to save it.
Sorry I have no NFL shots! but thanks for the kind comments Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the spot meter setting as well,and find the same as you, trying to keep the balance across the whole image, when one half is shade and one half is bright sun it is not easy. I think you did very well with the rowing images...the backlight is actually very nice, it comes across as that warm beautiful Autumn light.

Shame about no NFL shots (how can you watch and enjoy a game and take photos at the same time,you just can't do it) Very Happy

Just going back to Gaegers snow image, I am guessing all that whiteness would cause exposure headaches as well as the speed of the skier.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the snowboarder, that was actually pretty good light -- the sun was behind the ridge he was jumping off and there were a few clouds overhead so all the light was pretty even. I didn't have time to pick where I was going to meter, so I'm guessing it was on the snow behind him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Red against Greens in rain.. Reply with quote

An niece of mine is playing football... and i got a newFD Canon 4.5/500mm L.
(used here on my EOS 5D MKII, single shot mode @f4.5)

This was a good occasion to test the lens under real conditions... Very Happy

The young little ladies did their job very professional on the playground ...
sec growth for german woman world Championsship team... Very Happy )

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus OMD + Fujinon 75mm f/1.8

Anne Myrberg Landrø (NOR)

Nerys Jones (GBR)

Marie Nørstebø (NOR)

Zanna Juskane (LAT)

Ole Einar Bjørndalen (NOR)

Tobias Eberhard (AUT)

Florian Graf (GER)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does somethin like that count to sports?

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say yes those count! Love the girls' soccer shots and the biathlon. A couple in the skiing vein with a Nikkor 200mm f4 AI:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriella Sabatini. Bausch & Lomb championships, 1988 Nikon F2S. 300mm f/4.5 AIS @ f/5.6, High Speed Ektachome

Steffi Graf, Bausch & Lomb championships, 1988

Last edited by NikonAIS on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:36 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kite Surfing
Zeiss Jena Triotar f4 13.5cm m42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pen F 70mm f2