Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spiratone lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Spiratone lenses Reply with quote

Any Spiratone lens owner here ? I have only one yet, a 135mm f1.8 I like it. Any experience with this kind of lens or other labeled with Spiratone. Any information about makers ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Spiratone lenses were from Sun Optical, but there were others too.

I've had 2 Spiratones, a 20/2.8 and a 400/6.3 preset. Both are good, the 20mm was remarkable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Spiratone Plura-Coat 3.8-5.6/28-200 H/D-MC Zoom in PK-mount:

This is an average lens, but it is not bad for a "mega-zoom".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Spiratone lenses Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Any Spiratone lens owner here ? I have only one yet, a 135mm f1.8 I like it. Any experience with this kind of lens or other labeled with Spiratone. Any information about makers ?

Sadly, Fred Spira, founder of Spiratone and who ran the business until the late 1980's, passed away recently in September. They had two shops in New York as well as the mail order business. I never went to the stores while they were in operation, but they must have been fascinating places for a photography enthusiast to visit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here! Many thanks for this info! I had no clue absolutely about Spiratone lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, baldeagle! Welcome!

Yes, Spira must have been some kind of legend! A very dedicated person.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/14/arts/14spira.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Attila.