Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spiratone Expandar Wide Angle 28mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Spiratone Expandar Wide Angle 28mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Got this lens a few months ago as a project lens for $5.00 from a local consignor when I bought some lenses from him. The lens mount was gone, looked like may have been a T-mount . The focus ring felt like it was glued down-no sign of any movement. I brought it back and applied lighter fluid, alcohol, I even used acetone to no avail. The great thing was the elements were in perfect shape and accessible easily. I took the focusing ring and distance marker label out.I soaked the focusing threads in lighter fluid overnight with no results so I put it away for a rainy day project.

My "loosening focusing ring" moral has recently gone up since my success withe Sun lens in my latest project. I took the elements out and used the heat gun on the exposed helical assembly.

The heat did the trick to reveal a dried and gummed up inside.

I cleaned inside the threads of the brass ring that holds the focus ring-with alcohol and naptha on Qtip swabs(lots of it) and cleaned the residue in the grooves with toothpicks soaked in alcohol(lots used) .

After the threads were dry I coated all threads and grooves with the SpeedX lubricant. I wiped this dry with cloth like I was cleaning it . I then applied more lubricant. This lens needed a small amount as the threads and grooves were very fine -you may need more for other lenses that have wider threads and grooves to dampen the possibility of "wobbly focus ring"- the consistency of the grease would have to be thicker too.

Screwed the ring on(the ring you mount the focus ring on to with set/grub screws)-the movement is very fluid now.

Screwed on the next ring(this holds the distance label marker -by means of 2 set/grub screws). It is also the mounting boss for the T-mount.

Screwed the focus ring on , and the distance label ring-both temporarily with one screw each. I then screwed on the new Minolta AF T-mount adapter. I tested for infinity focus on my Sony DSLR and had to rotate the focus ring and the ring under it until I achieved infinity at the infinity marker. Having done this I proceeded to svrew in all set/grub screws on the 2 rings until secure.

There were 2 limiting screws -located in the slots on the side of the back cells hat prevents the back element from rotating as you focus but allows it to slide in and out. I had taken these out in the beginning, I put them back on now. i took the back element out and cleaned it with naptha, alcohol and wiped it off with lens tissue. The lens tissue was folded in 4 fold so I did not contaminate it with any oils from my finger.
Put back element back in screwed down retaining ring and then the knurled ring to cover it all up-lastly .

This lens was now ready to be mounted and used- from dead weight to gem.

I have documented this hoping it helps someone-I may not have been very thorough. I will gladly reply if you have any queries, or if I missed something.

I have posted some images taken with this lens in the other sub-forum.

Regards

Last edited by Kathmandu on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how long it takes to photograph and describe a process like this. Thanks for doing so and posting for ecveryone's benefit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thank you for taking the time and effort to do this for us!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job fixing the Komine lens. Nice documentation.
This thread is also really handy for the people that have the Soligor 28mm f2.8 version of this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all Very Happy