Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spiratone 400mm Pre set lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Spiratone 400mm Pre set lens Reply with quote

Got the lens yesterday & shot a couple of test frames today. The feeder is a 50% crop with slight sharpening & saturation. The Magnolia tree is no crop & again slight PP...Lens looks Like a Keeper....Both handheld F6.3 @ 1/90th

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you change your mind I'd happily give you twice what you paid for it Wink

That's a very decent performance.

BTW that is 1/90th hand held you say? Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handheld, but braced against the door....I was shooting thru a glass window in the door....No, I won't be parting with it as most of the ones on eBay sell for a lot more than what I paid...I also got both caps & the case with it & all are in pristine condition. The case even has 2 straps. A short hand strap & a longer shoulder strap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a lens to keep an eye out for.

I'm either drinking too much wine or coffee - that's impressively low for such a long lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second picture was impressive . Mr. Spiro had good sense for photography.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one of those for 30 years now - got it new for about $67 including the extra charge for multicoating. I've been very pleased with its performance, certainly better than most other options in that kind of price range.

I took this moon shot with it:

.... wide open, handheld at a 1/80 second shutter speed (I was leaning against a porch column as my image stabilization system)

(the white spot at the lower left is Venus)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE your moon shot, Rick!!!

And yes what makes it special is Venus, because it allows you to leave that black space on the left of the moon, which makes you really feel the depth of the outer space. Impressive.
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:
I've had one of those for 30 years now - got it new for about $67 including the extra charge for multicoating. I've been very pleased with its performance, certainly better than most other options in that kind of price range.

I took this moon shot with it:

.... wide open, handheld at a 1/80 second shutter speed (I was leaning against a porch column as my image stabilization system)

(the white spot at the lower left is Venus)

Blimey, I thought for a second it might have been Apollo Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what other names this lens goes by. There's a Tamron 400/6.3, a Makinon, a hanimex etc. but whether any of these are the same lens I don't know. Spiratone was very much an American mail order supplier hence they're not so common here.

Nice moonshot Rick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read over the years, it seems that the 400 mm Spiratone was an early Tamron model (hence the T mount) which was also sold under various other names...As far as I know,if they all look silimar in build & use a T mount, then chances are they are the same mfg. The Spiratone 400mm Sharpshooter only came in T mount so dealers didn't have to stock the lens in all the different mounts...I had one in Minolta mount (SRT 101 camera) that was stolen back in 1980..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a shot today with the 400mm . slight crop, handheld F11 & 250th, braced on door again