Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spiratone 20mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Spiratone 20mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

Quite small a lens compared to Vivitar 20mm f/3.8. Sharpness wide open is good, not too excited. Have some test shots below. Sorry for the boring flowers. Ultrawide should have better use.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Very clear. What camera were you using?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Very nice. Very clear. What camera were you using?

Thanks. Sony A7ii, all default settings.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Spiratone 20mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Quite small a lens compared to Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 . . .

Indeed, I've always been surprised at how compact the Spiratone is. Neither my Spiratone 20 nor Vivitar 20 are sharp enough for landscapes, but I enjoy them both for their close focusing abilities.

vivaldibow wrote:
. . . Sorry for the boring flowers.

Bite your tongue! Wink
Flowers are a priceless gift and shouldn't be taken for granted. I think. Smile
Thanks for the photos.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Spiratone 20mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

55 wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
Quite small a lens compared to Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 . . .

Indeed, I've always been surprised at how compact the Spiratone is. Neither my Spiratone 20 nor Vivitar 20 are sharp enough for landscapes, but I enjoy them both for their close focusing abilities.

vivaldibow wrote:
. . . Sorry for the boring flowers.

Bite your tongue! Wink
Flowers are a priceless gift and shouldn't be taken for granted. I think. Smile
Thanks for the photos.

Thanks. Well said. I actually didn't mean flowers are boring; otherwise I wouldn't shoot them. Smile I meant I coundn't go anywhere but shoot flowers in my backyard...

Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 seems a little sharper wide open but it is probably not a fair comparison as this Spiratone/Mitake has f/2.8.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Spiratone 20mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Thanks. Well said. I actually didn't mean flowers are boring; otherwise I wouldn't shoot them. Smile I meant I coundn't go anywhere but shoot flowers in my backyard...

Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 seems a little sharper wide open but it is probably not a fair comparison as this Spiratone/Mitake has f/2.8.

Okay. Got it. Smile

That's interesting about your lenses. I tend to think of my Spiratone as being sharper than my Vivitar.
I should compare them.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a winner! Any photos of lens?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Spiratone 20mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

55 wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Okay. Got it. Smile

That's interesting about your lenses. I tend to think of my Spiratone as being sharper than my Vivitar.
I should compare them.

I should say it is only my initial impression. As I put Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 on the camera, Sony's focus peaking shows very strong peaking patterns; while the Spiratone didn't show. Same here, probably need a more comprehensive comparison. I have yet compared with Vivitar 21mm f/3.8, which is said to be less sharper than the 20mm.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
We have a winner! Any photos of lens?

Here are the lens photos taken with my iphone.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple days ago I was out with my Spiratone 20 admiring a Rhododendron blossom. Here's a sample at f/2.8, un-cropped and then cropped.

This was with Sony A7ii default JPEG settings. I was pleasantly surprised at the sharpness wide open. Getting the bumble bee (more or less) in focus was just good luck.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

I love rhodies. They are just glorious flowers.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
A couple days ago I was out with my Spiratone 20 admiring a Rhododendron blossom. Here's a sample at f/2.8, un-cropped and then cropped.

This was with Sony A7ii default JPEG settings. I was pleasantly surprised at the sharpness wide open. Getting the bumble bee (more or less) in focus was just good luck.

Nice ones. We have the same Rhoddie. The bee photo is very interesting.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It's a delightful time of year with so many beautiful things blooming and buzzing about!